“Mein Freund und ich haben im November die Tom Yum Flexi Tour gemacht und waren sehr zufrieden. Unser Guide, Keo, war super - immer freundlich, mit tollen Tipps und sehr hilfsbereit. Wir mussten in Luang Prabang zum Beispiel einen Arzt aufsuchen, zu dem uns...“
- Hop-on Hop-off - flexible, safe, hassle-free travel
- Stray travel passes are valid for 12 months
- Visit destinations off the beaten track
- Great guides and great people!
We offer flexible guided trips in small groups, getting you off the beaten track and into local culture and amongst the action. Our passes include Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam & Myanmar. Stray also operates in New Zealand, where we were originally founded b...
We offer flexible guided trips in small groups, getting you off the beaten track and into local culture and amongst the action. Our passes include Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam & Myanmar. Stray also operates in New Zealand, where we were originally founded back in 2002. Some of our crew are based in Auckland, but we have shops in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. Stray passengers range between 18-45 years old, with the bulk in their 20s. There's an equal split between solo travellers and travellers with a friend, so no worries if you're travelling alone - there are always other solo travellers to meet! A slightly lesser number of passengers are travelling with partners. We also see a lot of gap year students on their first big adventure abroad, and a lot of young professionals taking a break. One of the best things about travelling with Stray is our local, english-speaking tour leaders. They amplify your Southeast Asia experience with invaluable knowledge, support and local insight. They can also book accommodation and activities on your behalf on our hop-on, hop-off services. Stray’s responsible tourism mission is "To make sure our customers and crew leave the maximum positive impact on local communities, and the minimum negative impact on the environment.” We operate a sustainable travel network, with heavy involvement in local initiatives and support small communities. Lastly, we use our own mini-coaches for the bus travel, which means not only we can go where we want, we can ensure safety, reliability and a high quality, comfortable service. However, We’re not just a bus network – our travel passes also include train, boat and tuk tuk transport for the full Southeast Asia experience. www.straytravel.asiaRead more
148 Stray Asia Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 5 / 5
- CCarolynMitchellLot Pass (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)4.0 - GoodWritten on June 13, 2018I want to give a great big shout out to our guide through Laos, Ohn, he was AWESOME !!! He made our Laos adventure amazing in every way. Thanks MATE !!Stray Asia commented on this reviewThanks so much Carolyn :) We're glad you loved your Laos adventure with our local legendary guide Ohn!
- GGeorgeBarrassLittle Mekong Pass (Thailand, Laos)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on April 25, 2018Really good value for money. Save loads of hassle not having to book buses. Buses are really reliable. Get tips of best bars/hostels/not-on-tripadvisor attracti…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThanks George! We really appreciate the review. We're glad you enjoyed the no-hassle style of travel and the destinations we visit and had a great time travelling with our local guides.
- ELEmilyLot Flexi Tour (Thailand,Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam)4.0 - GoodWritten on April 4, 2018Stray provide great local tour guides and take you to some amazing places, plus they make crossing the borders a piece of cake. Group size ranged from 5 people…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewHi Emily, thank you so much for the great review! We're glad you liked the destinations on the Lot tour and our Stray Asia local tour guides. Thanks for travelling with Stray in New Zealand and Southeast Asia...we have a few new destinations on the radar so hopefully we'll see you again some day! :)
- ASAustinLot Flexi Tour (Thailand,Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on March 15, 2018My trip is amazing! Onh Lovaninh is the greatest tour leader I've ever had! I'm so sad that he had to leave us, but I'm so excited for him and his family! Thank…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThank you Austin :) We'll pass on your best wishes to Onh. We are glad you've had an amazing trip.
- RCRyanLot Pass (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on March 14, 2018My trip has been amazing! Onh Lovaninh made me feel very comfortable and i really felt like he knew everything about whatever i asked him. I felt very safe and …Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThank you so much for your review Ryan :) We are so glad that Onh made your time with Stray awesome. We'll pass on your feedback to him.
- SLSarahLot Pass (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on March 14, 2018So far my trip the stray has been really great and organised. It’s been made so effortless by our fantastic tour leader Onh. For the whole group he has made eve…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThanks so much Sarah! We'll be sure to pass your best wishes on to Onh :)
- SMSeanLot Pass (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 12, 2018Everything was great transport accommodation places we were taken organisation. We started with tom as our tour guide for a short period he was very friendly an…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThank you so much for your feedback Sean! We're glad you had a great time travelling with us.
- RWRoryDong Pass (Vietnam Northbound)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 1, 2018I have travelled with Stray Asia multiple times. The guides, the people I met and the places I didn't even realised existed were all standouts for me. Some of…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThanks so much for your review Rory. We're glad you love 'Straying' with us!
- AAnnaTom Yum Flexi Tour (Thailand, Laos)4.0 - GoodWritten on February 7, 2018Mein Freund und ich haben im November die Tom Yum Flexi Tour gemacht und waren sehr zufrieden. Unser Guide, Keo, war super - immer freundlich, mit tollen Tipps …Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewVielen Dank für die tolle Bewertung! Wir freuen uns, dass du gerne mit Stray reist.
- SLSusanPagoda Pass (Myanmar)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on February 6, 2018It was one of the best tours I ever had. San was an amazing guide. She is smart, knowledgeable, and very proud of her Country. She is funny, witty and a very…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThanks so much for leaving a review Susan :) we're glad you enjoyed Straying Myanmar with Stray Asia and our lovely local guide San.
Stray Asia Tours
About Stray Asia
Stray Asia videos
- Stray - Southeast Asia and New Zealand
- Stray Asia: "I want to Stray"
- Stray Vietnam: Getting off the beaten track
- Stray Myanmar: Off the beaten track
- Stray Laos: Off the beaten track
- Show more...
- Stray Cambodia: Off the beaten track
- Stray Thailand: Beyond the beaches
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 600+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is accommodation included with the pass?
The cost of accommodation is not included in our hop-on hop-off passes. Your Tour Leader can recommend and book accommodation for each night - alternatively you have the option to research and arrange your own accommodation. Prices vary depending on location and season but expect to pay from US$5 for a shared room to US$24 for a twin or double (up to US$60 for top end private rooms in the main cities). Our preferred accommodation is usually in guest houses – but in some remote stops we use traditional-style home stays. Please note this is Southeast Asia and we have to be prepared for anything, including alterations to preferred accommodation options.
How much money should I budget for per day?
We suggest you bring up to US$25 each day for food and entertainment.
Is travel insurance required?
There is no travel insurance cover included in the price of a Stray pass but adequate and valid travel insurance is compulsory to travel with us.
What should I pack?
Light clothes for the wet season (May – Oct) and something warm for the dry season (Nov – Mar), especially for the north of Laos and Thailand; a good travel medical kit supplied by a doctor (for any inconveniences, dietary or otherwise); your travel insurance details; sunscreen; bug repellent (at least 30% deet content); girls - a sarong for swimming in remote areas, local culture requires modesty; a poncho or light raincoat (it can rain even in the dry season in the north), shoes/trainers for walking, a roll of toilet paper and hand sanitizer is always good, and of course, a sense of adventure!
What's the average age of travelers?
Our average age is late 20s, BUT Stray is not about age, it's a mind set. If you enjoy being active and meeting people you are right for Stray
Do I need to be very fit for the tour?
You don’t have to be an athlete to travel with us – all walks and activities are optional and there is something for everyone.
Can I travel alone?
Absolutely, that's the beauty of small group travel. You will make friends quickly and your Tour Guide will become a good source of support to you along the way too!
How many people travel in a group usually?
The majority of our hop-on hop-off tour groups consist of between 10 and 15 people, with a maximum of 24 (including driver and Tour Guides). Having a small group size not only means we can offer a more personalised service, but it also gives us access to more destinations, activity and accommodation options.