“Having such a fab time in Thailand and Laos, Cambodia had a lot to live up to. Again Stray transport, accommodation, activities were spot on. Seeing the temples in Siem Reap and the home stay was amazing especially a football match with the kids. Sihanoukv...“
- Hop-on Hop-off - flexible, safe, hassle-free travel
- Stray travel passes are valid for 12 months
- Visit destinations off the beaten track
- Great guides and great people!
We offer flexible guided trips in small groups, getting you off the beaten track and into local culture and amongst the action. Our passes include Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam & Myanmar. Stray also operates in New Zealand, where we were originally founded b...
We offer flexible guided trips in small groups, getting you off the beaten track and into local culture and amongst the action. Our passes include Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam & Myanmar. Stray also operates in New Zealand, where we were originally founded back in 2002. Some of our crew are based in Auckland, but we have shops in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. Stray passengers range between 18-45 years old, with the bulk in their 20s. There's an equal split between solo travellers and travellers with a friend, so no worries if you're travelling alone - there are always other solo travellers to meet! A slightly lesser number of passengers are travelling with partners. We also see a lot of gap year students on their first big adventure abroad, and a lot of young professionals taking a break. One of the best things about travelling with Stray is our local, english-speaking tour leaders. They amplify your Southeast Asia experience with invaluable knowledge, support and local insight. They can also book accommodation and activities on your behalf on our hop-on, hop-off services. Stray’s responsible tourism mission is "To make sure our customers and crew leave the maximum positive impact on local communities, and the minimum negative impact on the environment.” We operate a sustainable travel network, with heavy involvement in local initiatives and support small communities. Lastly, we use our own mini-coaches for the bus travel, which means not only we can go where we want, we can ensure safety, reliability and a high quality, comfortable service. However, We’re not just a bus network – our travel passes also include train, boat and tuk tuk transport for the full Southeast Asia experience. www.straytravel.asiaRead more
158 Stray Asia Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 5 / 5
- StephanieLong Laos Pass (Laos)4.0 - GoodWritten on November 9, 2018Stray Asia gave us the opportunity to discover wonderful places of Laos! The trip is very well organized and our guides (Pat and Sonny) were amazing, eager to s…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThank you so much for your recommendation and for taking the time to write us a review :) We're so glad you enjoyed your trip through Laos with Stray.
- JJoedeanLot - Freestyle Tour (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on September 17, 2018Sunny was a bundle of joy, he was fantastic from the get go and nothing was never too much. He was always willing to go the extra mile and ensuring the party wa…Read more
- LLukeRobertsonLot - Freestyle Tour (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)4.0 - GoodWritten on August 31, 2018We have done the Cambodia section of the pass, Unfortunately we jump of today and leave Samol today. He has been an excellent tour leader. Samol got the whole g…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThank you so much for your review and your awesome feedback about Samol :) We're so glad you're having a great time travelling with us.
- SamanthaLot Pass (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on August 10, 2018An amazing itinerary and visits most places you’d want to go in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. The Laos tour guides were particularly amazing (Pao and La). Transpo…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThanks for your review and suggestions Samantha. The Stray accommodation we recommend is usually local guest houses, hostels and basic hotels, and we know this doesn't always suit everyone's accommodation style, but that's the beauty of having the freedom to choose what suits you and your budget. In low season (May - September) group sizes are often smaller. We are also working towards more departures and hope to increase departures when volume increases. We are glad that overall you had a great time, enjoyed the itinerary and traveling with our local guides. Thank you for the feedback :)
- HHannahNashMekong Pass (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on August 10, 2018Onh was an amazing tour guide and gave us all so much guidance and support. He became a friend to each of us and made the trip so special for everyone. Definite…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThanks for your review Hannah. We love to hear how our local guides made a difference to your travel experience.
- CCarolynMitchellLot Pass (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)4.0 - GoodWritten on June 13, 2018I want to give a great big shout out to our guide through Laos, Ohn, he was AWESOME !!! He made our Laos adventure amazing in every way. Thanks MATE !!Stray Asia commented on this reviewThanks so much Carolyn :) We're glad you loved your Laos adventure with our local legendary guide Ohn!
- GGeorgeBarrassLittle Mekong Pass (Thailand, Laos)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on April 25, 2018Really good value for money. Save loads of hassle not having to book buses. Buses are really reliable. Get tips of best bars/hostels/not-on-tripadvisor attracti…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewThanks George! We really appreciate the review. We're glad you enjoyed the no-hassle style of travel and the destinations we visit and had a great time travelling with our local guides.
- ELEmilyLot - Freestyle Tour (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)4.0 - GoodWritten on April 4, 2018Stray provide great local tour guides and take you to some amazing places, plus they make crossing the borders a piece of cake. Group size ranged from 5 people…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewHi Emily, thank you so much for the great review! We're glad you liked the destinations on the Lot tour and our Stray Asia local tour guides. Thanks for travelling with Stray in New Zealand and Southeast Asia...we have a few new destinations on the radar so hopefully we'll see you again some day! :)
- AJAlistairLot - Freestyle Tour (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 17, 2018Having such a fab time in Thailand and Laos, Cambodia had a lot to live up to. Again Stray transport, accommodation, activities were spot on. Seeing the temples…Read moreStray Asia commented on this reviewHi Alistair, that's wonderful to hear you're having a great time! Good tip about heading out to explore the islands in Cambodia, instead of just staying on the mainland (Sihanoukville). Thank you for the 5 star review :)
Stray Asia Tours
- Lot Pass (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) 40 daysStarts BangkokEnds Hanoi$2,295 $1,949-15%
- Little Laos Pass (Northern Thailand and Laos) 9 daysStarts Chiang MaiEnds Vientiane$615 $529-14%
- Lot - Freestyle Tour (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) 40 daysStarts BangkokEnds Hanoi$3,645 $3,199-12%
About Stray Asia
Stray Asia videos
- Stray - Southeast Asia and New Zealand
- Stray Asia: "I want to Stray"
- Stray Vietnam: Getting off the beaten track
- Stray Laos: Off the beaten track
- Stray Cambodia: Off the beaten track
- Show more...
- Stray Thailand: Beyond the beaches
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 1000+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is accommodation included with the pass?
The cost of accommodation is not included in our hop-on hop-off passes. Your Tour Leader can recommend and book accommodation for each night - alternatively you have the option to research and arrange your own accommodation. Prices vary depending on location and season but expect to pay from US$5 for a shared room to US$24 for a twin or double (up to US$60 for top end private rooms in the main cities). Our preferred accommodation is usually in guest houses – but in some remote stops we use traditional-style home stays. Please note this is Southeast Asia and we have to be prepared for anything, including alterations to preferred accommodation options.
How much money should I budget for per day?
We suggest you bring up to US$25 each day for food and entertainment.
Is travel insurance required?
There is no travel insurance cover included in the price of a Stray pass but adequate and valid travel insurance is compulsory to travel with us.
What should I pack?
Light clothes for the wet season (May – Oct) and something warm for the dry season (Nov – Mar), especially for the north of Laos and Thailand; a good travel medical kit supplied by a doctor (for any inconveniences, dietary or otherwise); your travel insurance details; sunscreen; bug repellent (at least 30% deet content); girls - a sarong for swimming in remote areas, local culture requires modesty; a poncho or light raincoat (it can rain even in the dry season in the north), shoes/trainers for walking, a roll of toilet paper and hand sanitizer is always good, and of course, a sense of adventure!
What's the average age of travelers?
Our average age is late 20s, BUT Stray is not about age, it's a mind set. If you enjoy being active and meeting people you are right for Stray
Do I need to be very fit for the tour?
You don’t have to be an athlete to travel with us – all walks and activities are optional and there is something for everyone.
Can I travel alone?
Absolutely, that's the beauty of small group travel. You will make friends quickly and your Tour Guide will become a good source of support to you along the way too!
How many people travel in a group usually?
The majority of our hop-on hop-off tour groups consist of between 10 and 15 people, with a maximum of 24 (including driver and Tour Guides). Having a small group size not only means we can offer a more personalised service, but it also gives us access to more destinations, activity and accommodation options.