- Largest 'small group adventure' tour provider in the world
- Over 1,000 itineraries in +100 countries
- Our tour leaders are 100% local
- Responsible business is ingrained in our culture
Awards & Recognitions
Intrepid Travel Guides
1,047 Intrepid Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- PCPamelaThailand Beaches West Coast (Nov - Apr)4.5 - ExcellentWritten on December 11, 2017Arjan was such a great guide! She navigated every situation with ease and provided so much useful information at every stop!
- NWNevilleBest of Cuba Westbound4.0 - GoodWritten on December 8, 2017Excellent tour would recommend it, but not for everyone, need to be open minded.
- PPhoebeKenya Wildlife Safari5.0 - ExcellentWritten on December 4, 2017Phoebe here... My experience together with my guy Jean was awesome.. No words can describe that feeling ..
Intrepid Travel Tours
About Intrepid Travel
Intrepid Travel videos
- Discover Vietnam
- Discover USA
- Discover Uganda
- Discover Thailand
- Discover Tanzania
- Show more...
- Discover Spain
- Discover South Africa
- Discover Peru
- Discover Nepal
- Discover Morocco
- Discover Mongolia
- Discover Kenya
- Discover Italy
- Discover India
- Discover Egypt
- Discover China
- Discover Cambodia
- Discover Botswana
- Discover Borneo
- Discover Australia
- Discover Antarctica
- Intrepid Family Adventures
- A Taste of Vietnam
- A Day in India
- A Taste of China
- From Japan with Love (and Dashi)
- Local Vietnam Leaders
- Q&A with Bruno Dawson
- Angkor Trails
- Intrepid's Adventure Collective - Guatemala
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Taste of Tasmania
- Kilimanjaro in the Darkness
- Sunrise over the Great Wall of China
- Tanzania Cycling Adventure
- Discover Western Australia
- China Food Adventure
- Sailing Burma
- Australia - Red Centre
- Sailing the Caribbean
- Family Adventure - India
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Ultimate Travel Guide: Canada
Travel is best Shared
Time Balanced for You
Places Off the Beaten Track
All Travelers Welcome
Tours run by the Pro’s
Small Group Travel
Awards & Recognitions
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 60,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 20,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Intrepid Travel Photos
Popular for Intrepid Travel
Intrepid Story & History
Back in 1988, two guys from Melbourne, Australia by the names of Darrell and Manch , set off on an adventure to the other side of the world. They traveled to Africa, and without air conditioning on their modified truck, they filled it with supplies, some beer, a bunch of aviator sunglasses, and some friends.
On the trip, they came up with the idea that perhaps others may be interested in this style of travel too. Just like that, not long after this moment, Intrepid was born.
These days Intrepid has grown considerably, now giving over 100,000 travelers a year the opportunity to experience adventure all across Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Australasia. and Antarctica.
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is tipping commonplace in other parts of the world?
Yes, in most places tipping is expected. At your welcome meeting, ask your leader about the local custom and advice on how much is recommended at restaurants or with local guides. At the end of your trip, you may also choose to tip your Intrepid leader.
What trips include a kitty and what is it?
The Kitty system is operated on some trips like the Overland and Basix. The kitty is a cash contribution to a central fund and overseen by the travellers and crew. It helps fund accommodation, camp meals or activities for the entire group. Contribution to the kitty is compulsory on some trips while voluntary on others. Please check for the up-to-date amount 48 hours prior to your trip commencement.
Will the coach be modern and comfortable?
It depends on where you are travelling and on what style of trip. On a Basix trip in Asia, expect a local bus with no air-conditioning. On a Comfort or Original trip in South America, there will be reclining seats and sometimes even refreshments offered.
What type of ground transportation is used?
Intrepid uses as much local transport as possible, which means travelling on everything from a camel to a train, minivan or bus.
Will I be able to charge my electrical appliances?
In most places you’ll be able to recharge your appliances at the hotel. On their Overland trips, most of the vehicles we use come with their own power supply and you should be able to recharge onboard.
Will I get internet coverage?
It depends on the destination. Some places have Wi-Fi hot spots everywhere and other places will have limited or no coverage at all.
Will my mobile work?
Many of the destinations are out of the way and there maybe limited coverage so Intrepid cannot guarantee your phone will work as desired. Contact your phone provider before you leave about global roaming and the costs involved, and get their advice on the coverage you’ll receive in the places you’re travelling in.
How can friends and family get in contact while on tour?
Family and friends can contact Intrepid directly if they are unable to contact you in an emergency through email or phone. There is also a list of emergency contact details in the Trip Notes (for your destination).
What are the available communication facilities?
Many hotels and public places have Wi-Fi so it’s usually possible to keep in touch with home every couple of days. In remote places (think Mali, Serengeti or the Sahara) or on treks or homestays, you will not be able to communicate as readily.
What standards of hotels should I expect?
The hotel standards depends on the Trip Style you have chosen. Basic accommodation is generally budget (1-2 star), while Original is budget or tourist class (2-3 star). On a Comfort trip you can expect tourist class (3-4 star).