Awards & Recognitions
Intrepid Travel Guides
- Over 1,000 itineraries in +100 countries
- Our tour leaders are 100% local
- Certified B Corp
- Authentic, sustainable small-group tours
- Responsible business is ingrained in our culture
- Largest 'small group adventure' tour provider in the world
Back in 1989, two guys from Melbourne, Australia by the names of Darrell and Manch set off on an adventure to the other side of the world. They traveled to Africa and without air conditioning on their modified truck, they filled it with supplies, some beer, a bunch o...
Back in 1989, two guys from Melbourne, Australia by the names of Darrell and Manch set off on an adventure to the other side of the world. They traveled to Africa and without air conditioning on their modified truck, they filled it with supplies, some beer, a bunch of aviator sunglasses, and some friends. On that trip, they came up with the idea that perhaps others may be interested in this style of travel too. Just like that, Intrepid was born. Intrepid has come a long way since then, now giving over 100,000 travelers a year the opportunity to experience small group travel across all 7 continents. They use local transport, sleep in local accommodation from Cambodian stilt houses to Moroccan riads, and employ 100% local leaders. With three different travel styles from basix to comfort, themes ranging from cycling trips to family holidays, and itineraries crafted with the perfect balance of must-see sights and free time, Intrepid caters to every type of traveler no matter their age, budget or travel style. The company has grown and their mode of transport has evolved, but their mission remains the same: responsible travel, small groups, and big adventures.Read more
7,749 Intrepid Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- MKMartaMelbourne to Alice Springs Overland (10 Days)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on June 19, 2020Amazing tour. The programme was varied and super interesting and the guides were excellent. Great ways to learn about the nature and culture of Australia. The h…Read moreIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewThank you so much Marta! `
- StepSri Lanka Family Holiday5.0 - ExcellentWritten on May 25, 2020Amazing trip! We travelled to Sri Lanka in August/September 2019 and had a great experience with Step Lanka and our driver and guide Tharaka. We visited some am…Read moreIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewThank you so much Alex & Gemma! We can't wait for the day you can travel again with us :)
- CateAfrica Encompassed Southbound5.0 - ExcellentWritten on May 8, 2020Our trip was broken into two different tour leaders (Lelei and Nash), drivers (Sam and Strong Patrick) and cooks (Nicholas and Simon) all of which were phenomen…Read moreIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewThank you so much Parker! We're so glad you enjoyed your trip and can't wait to see where your next adventures takes you :)
- SharonExplore Egypt & Jordan1.0 - BadWritten on April 16, 2020Appalling customer service, this company has stolen my money and refused to return it even though the T&C's said I would get a full refund if they cancelled the…Read moreIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewHi Sharon, we're sorry for the delay in our response but are glad you have now been refunded. We're sorry your trip was unable to go ahead due to COVID-19 but hopefully you (and the rest of the world) will be back out on adventures in the not to distant future. Thanks for your patience as we worked through the process.
- MCMarionRiver Kwai & Ancient Thai Kingdoms5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 4, 2020River Kwai & Ancient Thai Kingdoms Tour This was a fabulous three day tour covering a variety of scenic, cultural, religious and historical sites which we fou…Read moreIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewThank you so much Marion! We're so glad you enjoyed your trip - Nai and Mr. Bob will appreciate your kind words.
- DADonnaMorocco Encompassed1.0 - BadWritten on April 3, 2020Although Tour Radar once again was a pleasure to pre-book my tour with, Intrepid Tours was a nightmare once they determined that, only 4 short days into an 18 d…Read moreIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewHi Donna, We’re sorry your tour had to end early due to the coronavirus pandemic. We want to assure you that all our guides, including Mustapha, were supported by our local and global teams to assist making arrangements to get all our travellers home safely. Due to the unpresented amount of enquires, we acknowledge that there were extended wait times to contact our customer service team and are sincerely sorry if you were unable to contact us. We’re so glad Mustapha made such a wonderful impression on you as our local guides are what makes Intrepid what it is. We hope you’re able to travel with us again and experience how much we truly value our travellers and all they do for local communities around the world.
- TaylorChina Experience5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 1, 2020Loved it Jerry the main dude was greatIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewThanks so much Taylor!
- SFSueSydney to Cairns Northbound4.0 - GoodWritten on April 1, 2020Was a great tour the second week is definitely the better week though as you are round the coast, Fraser Island and the Whit Sundays are just beautiful. My gro…Read moreIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewThank you so much Sue - we look forward to the day Andrew is back doing what he loves.
- RPRyanEssential Japan5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 1, 2020Everything was very well organized and informativeIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewThank you Ryan!
- CHChristopherBest of Myanmar4.0 - GoodWritten on March 31, 2020The Intrepid trip was well organised with a very good tour guide and good accommodation and meals. The places taken to were interesting and enjoyable particular…Read moreIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewHi Christopher, our apologies for the delay in responding. We received an unprecedented amount of emails but you will be hearing from us shortly. We're so glad you enjoyed your trip.
Intrepid Travel Tours
- Best of Morocco 15 daysStarts CasablancaEnds Marrakesh$1,175
- Vietnam Express Southbound 10 daysStarts HanoiEnds Ho Chi Minh City$1,130
- North Morocco Adventure 9 daysStarts CasablancaEnds Marrakesh$855
About Intrepid Travel
Intrepid Travel videos
- Discover Vietnam
- Discover USA
- Discover Uganda
- Discover Thailand
- Discover Tanzania
- Show more...
- Discover Spain
- Discover South Africa
- Discover Peru
- Discover Nepal
- Discover Morocco
- Discover Mongolia
- Discover Kenya
- Discover Italy
- Discover India
- Discover Egypt
- Discover China
- Discover Cambodia
- Discover Botswana
- Discover Borneo
- Discover Australia
- Discover Antarctica
- Intrepid Family Adventures
- A Taste of Vietnam
- A Day in India
- A Taste of China
- From Japan with Love (and Dashi)
- Local Vietnam Leaders
- Q&A with Bruno Dawson
- Angkor Trails
- Intrepid's Adventure Collective - Guatemala
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Taste of Tasmania
- Kilimanjaro in the Darkness
- Sunrise over the Great Wall of China
- Tanzania Cycling Adventure
- Discover Western Australia
- China Food Adventure
- Sailing Burma
- Australia - Red Centre
- Sailing the Caribbean
- Family Adventure - India
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Ultimate Travel Guide: Canada
- Main Page Video
- Discover the Hidden Gems of Lisbon with Intrepid Travel
- Be Intrepid
- TourRadar presents Alberta in Summer
- TourRadar presents Alberta in Winter
- TourRadar presents Bali's Beaches & Islands
- TourRadar presents Tegallalang Rice Terrace
- TourRadar presents Ganga Aarti at Varanasi
- TourRadar presents The Sorrento Peninsula
- TourRadar presents Aït Benhaddou
- TourRadar presents The Imperial Cities
- TourRadar presents Cycling Through Hoi An
- TourRadar presents The Dambulla Cave Temple
- TourRadar presents Ella to Kandy by Train
- TourRadar presents Sigiriya Rock
- TourRadar presents Chiang Mai
- TourRadar presents Island Hopping in Thailand
- TourRadar presents Morocco with Intrepid Travel
- TourRadar presents Thailand with Intrepid Travel
- TourRadar presents Morocco with John
- TourRadar presents Thailand with Sam & Laura
- TourRadar presents Intrepid Travel
- TourRadar presents Intrepid Travel
- Top 10 Philippines: On Tour with Flying The Nest
- Tour the Philippines: Best of with Flying the Nest
- Inca Trail & Amazon
- Tour the World - Ep 1: Inca Trail & Amazon
- Tour the World - Ep 2: Inca Trail & Amazon
- Tour the World - Ep 3: New York to Miami
- New York to New Orleans
- Tour the World - Ep 4: New York to Miami
- Tour the World - Ep 5: Rome to Amalfi
- Tour the World - Ep 6: A Million Dollar View
- Tour the World - Ep 7: Okavango Experience
- Tour the World - Ep 8: Thailand Real Food Adventure
- Jumping into Antarctic Waters
- Discover Antarctica
Travel is best Shared
Well Balanced Itineraries
Getting Off the Beaten Track
All Travelers Welcome
Tours run by Locals
A safe and responsible return to travel
As we start planning our return to running trips, the safety and wellbeing of our travellers, leaders, crew, staff and suppliers will remain our priority and our return to operations will be done in a safe and responsible way.
We have reviewed all our health and safety policies and are implementing new minimum standards that emphasize increased hygiene and sanitation. These are in line with recommendations from the World Health Organization and following the World Travel & Tourism Council’s (WTTC) Safe Travel protocols for tour operators. Before we resume trips in any destination, our itineraries will undergo a comprehensive risk assessment and audit, while leaders and suppliers will complete COVID-19 health and safety training.
Before travelling, we recommend you check your government’s travel advisory and the World Health Organization website for the most up to date information about destinations and permitted travel from each country.
Your safety remains our priority
- Extensive COVID-19 Health & Safety guidelines
- Local leaders
- On ground experts
- Smaller groups (average 10)
- Single supplements, if you'd rather have your own room (subject to availability)
- Leaders in ethical travel since 1989
Intrepid Travel has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that we have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols – so you can experience ‘Safe Travels’.
Intrepid Travel Ships
- Ocean DiamondThe Ocean Diamond is a modern, stable super-yacht with spacious cabins, all with private bathroom facilities and exterior views. This outs… Read moreBuilt1974 (renovation in 1986, 2012)Guests189Crew144Length124mWidth16mElectricity220vCruising Speed15.5 knotsDraft4.9m
- Ocean NovaDesigned to carry passengers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world, the Ocean Nova was built in Denmark. This ship delivers c… Read moreBuilt1992Guests78Crew38Length73mWidth11mSuites38Electricity220vCruising Speed12 knotsDraft3.7m
- Ocean EndeavourOcean Endeavour is a comfortable, well-appointed small expedition ship expertly engineered to explore the Polar Regions. The ship has an… Read moreBuilt1982 (Refurbished: 2018 )Guests198Crew124Length137mWidth21 mRegistryBahamasElectricity220vCruising Speed15nEngines4 x Skoda Sulzer 6ZL40/48Draft5.8 m
- Ocean AdventurerAs of June 2017, Quark Expeditions’ much beloved polar expedition ship the “Sea Adventurer” will be undergoing a multi-… Read moreBuilt1976 (refurbished in 1999 and 2002)Guests132Crew84Length101.1mWidth16.2mSuites57Cruising Speed12 knotsDraft4.5m
- Ocean AtlanticWith an ice-strengthened hull, the newly renovated Ocean Atlantic is a strong and comfortable vessel operating in the polar regions. Carr… Read moreBuiltRenovated in 2017Guests198Crew160Length140mElectricity220vBeam69ftCruising Speed12 knotsDraft5.8mCapacityWidthSuitesStateroomsRegistryGross TonnageGeneratorsEngines
- MV HondiusWhen it comes to Polar exploration, it doesn’t get much better than this. The brand-new M/V Hondius, debuting in 2019, is one of th… Read moreBuilt2019Guests176Crew72Length107mWidth17.6mStaterooms84Gross Tonnage6300 gtCruising Speed15 knotsDraft5.30m
- Grand Queen BeatrizExperience the ‘Enchanted Islands’ in our new custom-built yacht, the Grand Queen Beatriz. Custom built, with a stylish moder… Read moreBuilt2018Guests16Crew8Length41mGross Tonnage317Electricity110VBeam9mCruising Speed10 knots
- DaphneCatering to a variety of travel styles and budgets, Daphne has cabin options to suit every traveller. Relax on Daphne's spacious sundeck or… Read moreCapacityBuiltGuests16CrewLengthWidthSuitesStateroomsRegistryGross TonnageElectricityBeamCruising SpeedGeneratorsEnginesDraft
Awards & Recognitions
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 2500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 150,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 40,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Small Group Travel
The classic style, the small group. The company started with these tours back in the 80s with a small group, one of the local guides, a group of excited travellers, and a whole adventure ahead of them. Not much has changed, except now organising logistics is a bit easier, and travelling with a group is generally a bit more affordable.
Solo travellers make up more than 50% of Intrepid’s passengers - what better way to see the world and make new friends than going off on an adventure with other like-minded travellers. Joining a group as a solo traveler can also be a great way to save money as you will be matched up with someone of the same sex to share a room with. And if you’d prefer your own room, there is an optional single supplement available on most trips.
Intrepid Story & History
Back in 1988, two guys from Melbourne, Australia by the names of Darrell and Manch , set off on an adventure to the other side of the world. They traveled to Africa, and without air conditioning on their modified truck, they filled it with supplies, some beer, a bunch of aviator sunglasses, and some friends.
On the trip, they came up with the idea that perhaps others may be interested in this style of travel too. Just like that, not long after this moment, Intrepid was born.
These days Intrepid has grown considerably, now giving over 100,000 travelers a year the opportunity to experience adventure all across Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Australasia. and Antarctica.
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is tipping commonplace in other parts of the world?
Yes, in most places tipping is expected. At your welcome meeting, ask your leader about the local custom and advice on how much is recommended at restaurants or with local guides. At the end of your trip, you may also choose to tip your Intrepid leader.
What trips include a kitty and what is it?
The Kitty system is operated on some trips like the Overland and Basix. The kitty is a cash contribution to a central fund and overseen by the travellers and crew. It helps fund accommodation, camp meals or activities for the entire group. Contribution to the kitty is compulsory on some trips while voluntary on others. Please check for the up-to-date amount 48 hours prior to your trip commencement.
Will the coach be modern and comfortable?
It depends on where you are travelling and on what style of trip. On a Basix trip in Asia, expect a local bus with no air-conditioning. On a Comfort or Original trip in South America, there will be reclining seats and sometimes even refreshments offered.
What type of ground transportation is used?
Intrepid uses as much local transport as possible, which means travelling on everything from a camel to a train, minivan or bus.
Will I be able to charge my electrical appliances?
In most places you’ll be able to recharge your appliances at the hotel. On their Overland trips, most of the vehicles we use come with their own power supply and you should be able to recharge onboard.
Will I get internet coverage?
It depends on the destination. Some places have Wi-Fi hot spots everywhere and other places will have limited or no coverage at all.
Will my mobile work?
Many of the destinations are out of the way and there maybe limited coverage so Intrepid cannot guarantee your phone will work as desired. Contact your phone provider before you leave about global roaming and the costs involved, and get their advice on the coverage you’ll receive in the places you’re travelling in.
How can friends and family get in contact while on tour?
Family and friends can contact Intrepid directly if they are unable to contact you in an emergency through email or phone. There is also a list of emergency contact details in the Trip Notes (for your destination).
What are the available communication facilities?
Many hotels and public places have Wi-Fi so it’s usually possible to keep in touch with home every couple of days. In remote places (think Mali, Serengeti or the Sahara) or on treks or homestays, you will not be able to communicate as readily.
What standards of hotels should I expect?
The hotel standards depends on the Trip Style you have chosen. Basic accommodation is generally budget (1-2 star), while Original is budget or tourist class (2-3 star). On a Comfort trip you can expect tourist class (3-4 star).