based on 768 reviews

Shannon Anderson

Mark was an excellent tour guide and the tour itself was amazing. Highly recommend the 5 day tour to get a great overview of the Highlands and Scottish history.

7th November 2022
GR

Grace Rodriguez

If you're looking to have the time of your life in Scotland THIS IS THE TOUR!!! I will be highly recommending Macbackpackers to anyone and everyone that ever wants to visit Scotland. Neil was an absolutely incredible tour guide who truly treated us like friends that he wanted to share his love of Scotland with. The 5 Day tour took us to the most beautiful place I had ever seen, Isle of Skye. This locally run company focuses on personalized experiences for each and every tour group. You'd be lucky to take a tour with these Scots!!!

Operator's comment: Thank you so much Grace! We are so happy that you enjoyed your tour so much! Reviews like this are really why we're in the business. We hope to see you in Bonnie Scotland again one day!

14th October 2022
R

RoshanAgrawal

I had the most amazing 5 days on this tour! Our guide Mark was amazing - he had the best stories and was super kind and flexible. All of the places you stop are amazing and we even squeezed in a couple of great hikes.

14th October 2022
RM

Roxane Aleda Morency-Jarvis

Better than my wildest dreams

12th October 2022

Hema M Shastry

The best decision that we made was to travel with you guys. It was an amazing experience. I feel I missed booking with you for 5 days never the less will be back soon : )

Operator's comment: Thank you so so much Hema! It was a pleasure having you on the bus and we hope to see you again someday!

10th October 2022

Linda Javorka

Do it, it's a bit short and rushed but still worth it!

Operator's comment: Thank you for the review Linda!

4th October 2022
CM

Chani Montaque

This tour was amazing! Neil is an amazing guide, with great character and personality. He finds a way to weave fact with folk-lore, telling a story along the journey. I felt very well-looked after in all the hostels with good facilities, hot showers after a long day and a comfy bed were very welcome. The 5day tours fits loads in, with plenty of stops and activity options for the group. The Scottish Highlands are stunning and if you are thinking about doing this tour, please book on. You will not regret it! As a solo traveller it was great to meet like-minded people, we all got on really well and I have some great memories and some new friends to visit in different places. Word of warning!: I would say if walking and the outdoors is not your thing then maybe look to do something else. This is an active bus tour, outdoor-based with lots of walking, changes in weather and sometimes infrequent toilet stops. The tour is not suitable for wheelchair users, or someone with reduced mobility. Please bring the right gear, otherwise you will be absolutely miserable: waterproof jacket, trousers, quick-drying clothing, walking boots, hat, gloves, sunscreen, insect repellent. I will definitely be booking on to another tour in the future and have recommended to my family and friends. Thankyou MacBackpackers! Annual leave thoroughly well-spent. Chani.

Operator's comment: Thank you so much for the review Chani! We're so glad you enjoyed your tour with us and that we could be a part of your big trip! We'd love to see you again someday

3rd October 2022
ED

Ella Davidson

I had an amazing time. Scotland is incredibly beautiful with a rich and interesting history. Our tour guide Neil was fantastic and a brilliant storyteller. I would definitely recommend this trip.

Operator's comment: Thank you for the great review Ella! We'll pass on your comments to Neil :)

2nd October 2022
J

Jodi

Fantastic tour! Had such a great time, I didn't want it to end! Was a great way to get a taste of the Highlands and have fun with a bunch of strangers, soon to be friends. Our guide was Neil and he was top-notch. Friendly, hilarious, and a wonderful storyteller. Could not recommend this tour enough!

1st October 2022
D

Daryll

I'll start this review with what would be my concluding remarks: "Macbackpackers offered a tour; Tim turned it into an adventure". Tim, our erstwhile guide, was truly one 'out-of-the-box'; in equal measure extremely knowledgeable of his nation's history and culture, self-depreciatingly hilarious, and a responsible guide and chauffer. The kind of on-to-it guy who double checks that the boot of the minibus is closed before departure, just in case someone forgets their guitar. Nonethless, we auctioned him off to some other tourist for 8.50. Anyway, now that I'm done waxing lyrical about the hoary old billy goat who passed himself off as our incorrigible guide, I return to the tour. This is the most authentic, spellbinding tour you could possibly enter upon, even if the weather packs in (to be fair, Summer in Scotland was lovely this year... I think it was a Thursday). The landscape is breathtaking in scope and majesty - it isn't so much the size, but the grandeur and misty romanticism of the place. The highlands are everything their reputation professes, and more. It is truly the last of the wilds up there - the forests, rivers, mighty (cold) lochs and the Caledonian pines weaving their way about the heather-splashed steep embankments - and yet the folk are far friendlier and more hospitable than you might be led to believe by the nature of the landscape. I could go on at length about the sheer natural beauty, but then there are the many castles, historical sights and little villages, and the unforgettable, beautfully docile hairy coos - you'll catch it all on this tour. And I mentioned the people, too; we were treated to pipes, a ceilidh (not to be missed for love nor money!), good food, and great conversation. The Isle of Skye is the jewel in this tour's crown, and has much worth exploring, notably the Fairy Pools and the Old Man of Storr - and you're certainly afforded the chance over the two days you'll spend there. 5 days is just the right balance to whet your appetite for more adventure. You'll see Culloden in all its solemnity for your Outlander fans, and many other battlefields and ancient sites besides; and yes, you can even see the blasted Harry Potter train (nevermind that Bonnie Prince chap standing over there in the corner by the water's edge...) Overall, the tour is excellent value for money (except for the tour guide, of course - you get what you pay for in life, aye. 8.50, Tim; 8.50), and I strongly recommend that booking the hostel accomodation advance alongside the tour is well worth it, being very affordable, cosy and with decent amenities. But most of all, you will have the chance to make lifelong friends on this tour, as I have been fortunate enough to discover. The group were truly excellent, and after 5 days you become more a family and a team than a mere touring group. It was a great mix of personalities and cultures, all woven together by the maestro of the tour, Tim, and his ability to connect with anyone. If you haven't figured it out by now, I recommend this tour more than any other I have ever been on. I have no regrets. It was the experience of a lifetime, and probably the only tour I would do again in full.

Operator's comment: Wow wow wow! Thank you so much for this absolutely amazing review! Reviews like this are why we're in the industry We will be passing this on to Tim who will be extremely happy to read your review and we'll be passing on our congratulations to him for doing such a stellar job. I hope that we'll see you again one day Daryll! The MacBackpackers Team x x

28th September 2022