Overall
Value for money
Stray - Stew Pass (South Island)
DV

Desiree van Zon

I enjoyed it so much! Both drivers were fantastic (Pacman & Moose) and it was great to meet so many nice people along the way. The places we went to were amazing as well. I only wished there were more busses driving so it'd be easier to stay somewhere just a day longer or so. The service by Stray was really good as well.

1 day ago
Max Hopper

NicoleLange

highly recommend! For everyone who is looking for the perfect way to see all of new zealand through a fun & chill experience —> Book stray. I’d literally recommend this to everyone thats going to NZ for the first time, and to people that go for second but just love good sesh. One side-note, fix your schedule or have unlimited amount of days to spend there (reduces the overall stress level about being able to get a spot on the buss in high season). Aside from the amazing locations you get to see & cool hostels they offer (however if you’re not comfy with the looks of one feel free to find your own). Its the bus-driver babies that make your trip amazing. They know exactly where to go at what time so you don’t spend a minute of your long anticipated travels doing something you wish you would have skipped - everything is gonna be worthwhile. We all have favorites, but if you’re really lucky you’re gonna get Soxx (genuinely the most love-able good-guy in the world), Lefty (imagine a big sarcastic, funny, all-knowing grizzly bear that looks after you, but then 10x sassier..) or Rhino (look out for sunglasses, hoodie & a hairdo that looks like its been done in 2 minutes but in reality took roughly 3 hours). Those three sweethearts are gonna make this the most memorable trip of your life. I’ve been on Rhino’s bus the longest and this guy knows pretty much every good place to take the perfect instagramworthy pretty photo, will continuously provide you with the best chilled music and an endless stream of on point pop-cult references (honest to god I don’t know where he gets it from), and if you bear with his sarcasm (absolutely lovely), you’ll see why he is the best and most caring driver around, 10/10! Thanks Stray, and all the bus-driver babies, for the amazing time!

Operator's comment: Thanks for leaving us such sweet Stray love, Nicole! Happy to have you on board! ~Lisa at Stray

5th April 2019
Stray - Jill Pass (North Island)
J

JackWood

Loved the tour with Socks, got everyone included and was so much fun !

Operator's comment: Cheers for sweet as review, Jack! ~Lisa at Stray

2nd April 2019
JB

jane bonfield

Had a agreat journey with Strays. Highlight would be the Bay of Islands. A bit regretful I didn’t brave the crossing however there will be other opportunities. The alternate walk was beautiful and the company great. Will definitely consider the south with Stray in the spring

Operator's comment: Thanks for the rad review and sharing your photos, Jane! We'd love for you to Stray with us again on the South Island! Cheers, Lisa @ Stray

30th March 2019
Stray - Maximus Pass (National)
H

HannaFels

I had several drivers but Lightning was the best one. It was like talking to a friend not to a bus driver. We had a lot of fun with him, games in the evening and jumping into ice water for our soul. He gave us information about the places we visited and what to do and book in advance. He also played good music on the bus, I hope he's getting more into dub fx ;) Besides the journey with him stray was kinda annoying because you would only get picked up and brought to from hostels their choice so this took away some freedom. If you wanna be a free traveller get a car :)

Operator's comment: Hi Hanna, thanks for sharing your review. I'll share your amazing feedback about Lightning with the team - we love hearing about our Stray super stars out on the road. I'm sorry to hear that you were not as impressed with the hostel pickup and drop off points - we do try to get passengers as close to their accommodation as possible, but there are some places where we cannot easily take our buses. Thank you again for letting us know your thoughts. Cheers, Lisa at Stray

25th March 2019
Stray - Stew Pass (South Island)
WC

Winnie Cheng

The guide Lifty is funny and nice. Overall the tour is very good. The only thing I don’t like about Stray is they cancelled my North Island tour, put me in another tour which conflicted my schedule, so I need to cancel the tour, and Stray charged me 20% cancellation fee. But TourRadar paid me back that 20%. That is ridiculous. Overall very nice tour, will buy their tour again.

Operator's comment: Hi Winnie, it's good to hear you had a good time on tour with Lefty, but I am sorry about what happened with your North Island tour. Did you fill out one of our feedback surveys or send a message to feedback@straytravel.co.nz about this? If you haven't already done so, we would appreciate a feedback email from you so we can investigate. Cheers, Lisa at Stray

13th March 2019
Stray NZ - Moe Pass (National)
L

Louise

In general all positive things about stray - a good way to travel to see most of the country. The bad thing is that it's not as flexible as it sounds to be so you have to plan your hop offs and really can't do it spontanous. Other from that a really good way to meet awesome people and see the incredible country. And also offered a lot of fun activities. Extra cred to Rhino who really tried to get the group together, always had loads of energy and made the bus laugh a lot the times I had him as a driver. Happy days

Operator's comment: Thanks heaps for your comments, Louise! It's great to hear what we (and Rhino) are doing well and also how we can continue to improve. Happy days indeed! ~Lisa at Stray

11th March 2019
JW

Jennifer Wright

I had an incredible time on the north island tour with stray with a huge variety of included and optional activities. We had 2 guides, Levi and moose, who swapped after 3 days, both were incredibly knowledgable about the areas visited and the culture relative to New Zealand and specific areas. I travelled alone and met some incredible people, whom I now call friends, and couldn’t recommend this tour more! Great value for money and fantastic opportunities! Thank you!

Operator's comment: Cheers for leaving us some love, Jennifer! So glad you had an amazing time with Levi, Moose and your new group of travel friends!

1st March 2019
Stray Journeys - Beetham (North Island)
S

SherryG

It's a unforgettable trip! I got to enjoy so many places in 7 days with other 19 fun-driven travelers, age from 18-75. Honestly I didn't really know what I signed up initially and doubted if this was the right tour for me when sharing room with a bunch of young backpackers, after all it's the very first time I've ever taken such trip. However as the tour unrolled I became to enjoy it exponentially, we had so much fun together everyday, the 9 hour Tongriro Alpine Crossing brought it to the climx. In the end we formed such comradery that we tried to meet up after the tour. This tour wouldn't be the same without our driver/guide Moose, he is very friendly and fun. He drove us around, kept us well informed and entertained on the long bus rides, coordinated everything, cooked for us and hang out with us, he became part of us. Thank you Moose! It's a life changing experience to me, I'm so glad I booked this tour! It made me fall in love with beautiful New Zealand and the nature-loving adventure-driven Kiwis.

Operator's comment: Wow what amazing feedback, Sherry - thank you! I'll be sure to let Moose know to keep it up. It's so good to hear when we surprise our passengers (in a good way). Come back anytime! :)

23rd February 2019
N

NH

I absolutely loved the journey and would do it all over again! It was definetely worth the money. Most of the accomadations were nice and it´s great that it´s not only hostels. I only really didn´t like the one in Auckland. Most of the meals are included and if not they always make sure you get a chance to buy snacks so you really don´t have to worry about being hungry. I really enjoyed the activities included, especially the sandboarding and Maori cultural experience. But you should definetley save some extra money for the optional activities and food of course! I´d say I did most of them and spent about 400 $ on activities and 200 $ on food. But it was absolutely worth it. I loved the whole vibe of the tour and that it was still relaxed eventhough you were always on the move. Loved meeting all those people of different ages, nationalities and with different stories and made some really good friends. Both our bus drivers were cool dudes and nice to hang out with. I can definetely recommend this tour. In my opinion the best way to get around the country when you´re travelling alone!

Operator's comment: Thank you so much for choosing us to show you around the North Island! We're so glad to hear you had an awesome time and met some great new friends. :)

21st February 2019