6 reviews for 12 tours

Tom Falls

Just returned from an amazing trip, and all I can say is how amazing Bamboo Ecotours was. We chose to do the 10 day Western Uganda wildlife tour as we had 3 weeks total to spend in East Africa, and wanted to do more than just primates in Uganda, since clearly it has so much more to offer. And I am so glad that we did this, it was an amazing experience. From the time we first inquired about the trip, Edison was nothing amazing and professional! Our tour guide Joseph and driver Herbert did such a great job - any time there was even a small issue they all went out of their way to help correct things (and these were problems that were beyond their control - if you don't own the hotel you can't make the staff care - but you can confront them about the issues and help your clients which they certainly did). Not that any issues impacted our enjoyment, because it was a great trip. All the lodging was mid-range either lodges or permanent tents/bandas - I think we actually liked the tents/bandas best - stayed cooler and felt closer to nature. Honestly liked all the places we stayed quite a bit. Also have to commend the transportation - 4 wheel drive mini bus type of thing (with pop up roof). The roads in Uganda (especially in the areas in/around/between the parks) are mostly dirt and many were actively under construction - and the vehicle never had any issues and had lots of room for us. Most companies seem to just have a single driver/guide - I really liked that for this type of longer tour we had a driver and a guide. The driving was very difficult and it was nice that we could ask questions without disturbing our driver, but they also worked as a great team. Really liked that setup. Some specifics about places we went to: -Ziwa Rhino sanctuary was amazing, was able to get so close on foot with a ranger (and unfortunately didn't see any other rhinos during our total 3 week trip so this was great to have included) -Murchison Falls national park was absolutely gorgeous and had so much more wildlife than I could have imagined - the boat tour on the Nile was fantastic and relaxing, and lead to a hike to the top of the falls - also amazing -Kazinga channel (essentially adjacent to QENP) was great. It was the end of the dry season and very hot, so pretty much all the animals were at the water's edge. We did a boat trip here as well - but small boat with only 2 other people plus guide and driver so we were able to get very close (which was different than the big double decker boat on the Nile) -Kibale for the chimps and Bwindi for the gorillas were just amazing, once in a lifetime kind of experiences. In both cases the animals ended up just a few feet away and we got such good pictures -Before the chimp trek at Kibale we did a swamp walk in Bigodi swamp including a community walk and stop at someone's home to see how banana beer and gin were made - optional activity but highly, highly recommended -Last stop was Lake Mutanda - wish we had more time here, was gorgeous! Did more cultural activities here - visited with the Batwa people and then went to a coffee plantation (small, family owned) - which was so incredible. Had options of activities for this day - I think we chose well and I really like that these were community activities where money we paid went directly to individuals in the community and not to some other company. Overall I really just can't say enough good things about Bamboo Ecotours. They will of course do a great job if you just have a few days and want to see primates - but I really would recommend seeing more of the country with them. We spent a week in Tanzania after this and it was different - so I don't feel at all like we duplicated things. Thanks to Edison, Joseph and Herbert for making this incredible experience possible!

Operator's comment: Thank you Tom for such a wonderful review! We are so grateful you decided to have Bamboo Ecotours to plan and execute your trip. We enjoyed having you around, and we hope to host you or your friends again in the near future. Regards, Edison & Bamboo Ecotours team.

13th March 2019
KN

Kristen Nowling

My boyfriend and I recently went on the 10 day Uganda tour ending in Rwanda with Joseph and Herbert and cannot begin to describe how amazing the tour was. We both had the best time and cannot thank them enough for all the amazing memories we went home with. The lodges were great, gorilla trekking/chimp trekking were more amazing than we could have ever thought. We got up and closet to the animals. Most importantly we felt so safe and comfortable with Joseph and Herbert. They were in contact with the manager Edison the whole tour to update him on how things were going and we really loved that. We recommend this tour to all of our friends and family and would love to come back and do another. We appreciate ever little thing they have done for us to make sure the trip was awesome. We cannot thank them and the whole company enough.

Operator's comment: Thank you Kristen for such a wonderful review! We are so grateful you decided to have Bamboo Ecotours to plan and execute your trip. We enjoyed having you around, and we hope to host you or your friends again in the near future. Regards, Edison & Bamboo Ecotours team!

13th March 2019
S

StefanieLoffel

We had such a wonderful experience on the Gorilla Trek. Our guide, Godfrey was amazing. He was so insightful and made sure that we were comfortable and happy on every step of the trip. I honestly cannot fault him. He even found us a great local restaurant to eat lunch at on the way to Bwindi The Gorilla Trek was wonderful too, it was definitely an experience we won’t soon forget and we're very glad we chose to go with Bamboo Ecotours.

2nd October 2018
T

tomG

Communication was easy from beginning, Edison was fast to reply and briskly adjusted itinerary according to our wishes. I must say I was little hesitant to do the whole payment in advance but it went smoothly. We did the gorilla trekking in Bwindi, visited local family run coffee plantation, did amazing Batwa tour in Mgahinga and paddled around Mutanda lake. The highlight for us was the interaction with the locals - with incredibly friendly and hospitable family at the coffee plantation and meeting the Batwas who were really enjoying the moments they could show us how they had lived not so long ago. I believe for kids it would be unforgettable experience. Our guide Joseph gave us detailed explanation on anything we asked, our driver Herbert was very warm and friendly and drove us safely and easily on every kind of road (and the roads are pretty challenging there;-) If you are going to Kigezi (region around Kisoro) Bamboo ecotours is an operator you should consider, they come from the region, they know the place very well and you can be sure your money is helping the local people and region which belongs to the poorer parts of Uganda.

29th September 2018
J

JamesDwyer

Bamboo Ecotours organised a gorilla trip for me in Bwindi at very short notice. They were able to customise the trip to my needs and communicated effectively and quickly.

25th September 2018
C

cristamy528gmailcom

Awesome guide, everything on schedule, no delays, very punctual. Pricing highly reasonable.

25th September 2018