Our new ship, MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary.
MS Spitsbergen is named after the crown jewel of Arctic Norway – the Svalbard archipelago and its biggest island, Spitsbergen. Hurtigruten has a long history of travelling to Spitsbergen, beginning in 1896 with the `Sports Route´. MS Spitsbergen cruises along the Norwegian coast from September to May, and becomes part of our global Explorer sailings during the rest of the year.
After complete reconstruction, MS Spitsbergen joined the Hurtigruten fleet in 2016. The ship features high technical standards as well as comfortable, modern public areas and cabins. The vessel´s fresh Scandinavian design reflects a colour palette derived from the sea. She is modern and environmentally progressive, and we plan further improvements that will reduce emissions and fuel consumption even more. The new ship’s maneuverability and optimal size make her quite suitable for exploring polar waters.
Expedition team on board
MS Spitsbergen has its own on-board Expedition Team and serves as a university at sea. Interesting lectures inside the ship as well as out on the sun deck make this an exciting and educational journey. Topics depend on the season and the waters we sail in. The Expedition Team host a lecture programme and evening gatherings daily. Out on deck you can participate in live points of interest to learn more about the nature, culture and other phenomena we encounter along the coast. In addition, the Expedition Team will introduce you to the uniquely Norwegian notion of `friluftsliv´ (outdoor life), and encourage you take part in `friluftsliv´ hikes and activities during the journey.
Our dedicated Expedition Teams have one mission: to enhance your experience by engaging you and interpreting the nature, wildlife, and culture you encounter during the voyage.
- Expedition Team
- Explorer bar
- Panoramic lounge – Explorer lounge
- Compass Service Centre
- Brygga bistro
- Torget main dining
- Fitness room
- Hot tub
- Guest launderette
- Panoramic deck 8
- Outside bar for events, decks 7 & 8
Staterooms / Suites
- Expedition Suite - Owners suite on upper deck(MX)
- Expedition Suite -Grand suite on upper deck(MG)
- Expedition Suite - Mini suite for 2 travelers(Q2)
- Arctic Superior - Upper deck for 2-4 travelers(QJ)
- Arctic Superior -Outside cabin for 2 travelers(P2)
- Arctic Superior -Outside cabin for 2 travelers(U2)
- Polar Inside-Larger inside cabin for 2 travelers(K
- Polar Inside -Superior cabin up to 4 travellers(K4
- Polar Outside-Lower deck for 2 travelers(A2)
- Polar Outside - Middle deck for 2 travelers(AJ)
- Polar Outside -Middle deck up to 3 travelers(J3)
- Polar Outside - Outside cabin for 2 travelers(O2D)
These exclusive suites on the upper deck have a double bed, a separated seating area, TV, kettle, tea/coffee, stereo, minibar, bathrooms with shower/WC, and a spacious private balcony.
Experience delicious authentic Norwegian cuisine and eat like a true local with Hurtigruten’s unique dining concept, Norway's Coastal Kitchen. Guaranteeing seasonal, fresh food from the local area, the talented chefs enjoy telling the story of the local area through their delicious dishes. Breakfast and lunch are catered for with an extensive buffet, while three-course dining is on offer for evening meals.
MS Spitsbergen Tours
- Circumnavigating the Svalbard Archipelago 12 daysStarts OsloEnds Oslo$9,790
- Highlights of Spitsbergen and Norway's North Cape 12 daysStarts OsloEnds Tromso$6,390
- Spitsbergen - In the Realm of the Polar Bear 10 daysStarts OsloEnds OsloSold Out
- Circumnavigating Spitsbergen - In the Realm of the Polar Bear (9 destinations) 10 daysStarts OsloEnds Oslo$8,070
- Norway and Spitsbergen - Hurtigruten's Sportsman's Route 14 daysStarts BergenEnds LongyearbyenSold Out
- Circumnavigating Spitsbergen - In the Realm of the Polar Bear 10 daysStarts OsloEnds Oslo$9,377
- Circumnavigating Svalbard - The Ultimate Expedition (Itinerary 2) 12 daysStarts OsloEnds Oslo$9,376
- Faroe Islands, Iceland, Spitsbergen – Island Hopping In and Around the Arctic (Itinerary 1) 13 daysStarts BergenEnds Longyearbyen$7,732
- Spitsbergen, Iceland, Faroe Islands – Island Hopping In and Around the Arctic (Itinerary 2) 14 daysStarts OsloEnds Bergen$5,900