- We take you on sustainable nature experiences at the polar edges of the world
- Unique nature-based experiences at remote corners of the world
- We have a Northern Lights guarantee
- Our ships are filled with Expedition Teams
From the magnificent fjords of Norway to the ice-filled bays of Antarctica, Hurtigruten is renowned for its comprehensive collection of voyages to remote, beautiful and dramatic coastlines from the far north to the distant south. With over 120 years of mariti...
From the magnificent fjords of Norway to the ice-filled bays of Antarctica, Hurtigruten is renowned for its comprehensive collection of voyages to remote, beautiful and dramatic coastlines from the far north to the distant south. With over 120 years of maritime experience and our fleet of 12 intimate and comfortable ships, we offer voyages that go beyond the traditional cruise, allowing closer encounters with environments, wildlife and people along shorelines near and far. Norway In our home waters off the Norwegian coast, our ships have been part of the country’s very lifeline for over a century. Beneath the Midnight Sun or the mystical Northern Lights, daily departures across the Arctic Circle from Bergen to Kirkenes, take us right to the heart of coastal Norway. Calling at 34 ports, most never visited by commercial cruise liners, our ships deliver freight, post and passengers to remote communities, some of which are home to just a few hundred people. Sailing along this beautiful coastline, through magical fjords to enchanted islands, we enjoy a genuine, friendly and unpretentious voyage which is truly Norwegian. Spitsbergen, Greenland, South America, Antarctica Our Nordic influence and distinctive maritime heritage have inspired us to go further, to explore regions of exceptional natural beauty and offer voyages to some of the most desirable places on Earth. With regular shore excursions and on board lecturers we join an international mix of passengers to encounter, discover and develop our understanding of the shorelines and wildlife that lie far beyond our natural horizons – Spitsbergen, Greenland, South America and Antarctica. Let us take you there As part of the Hurtigruten family you can be assured that we will provide the best in specialist knowledge, experience and expertise from your initial enquiry to your safe return. Offering voyages that will exceed all expectations, you are sure to bring home wonderful memories that will last forever. Discover how from the fjords of Norway to the waters of the high Arctic and the shores of the Antarctic Peninsula, Hurtigruten is the specialist in intimate and informal voyaging worldwide.Read more
Hurtigruten ReviewsWrite a review
- Exploration of Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia (Itinerary 2) 23 daysStarts Buenos AiresEnds Buenos Aires$14,357
- Exploration of Antarctica, Chilean Fjords and Patagonia 19 daysStarts ValparaisoEnds Buenos Aires$12,164
- The Heart of Greenland with Disko Bay 16 daysStarts ReykjavikEnds Reykjavik$8,092
- MS FramThe original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram honors th… Read moreBuilt2007 (refurbished in 2020)Guests318CrewLength114 m / 374 ftStateroomsGross Tonnage11647 gtBeam20.2 m / 66 ftCruising Speed13 knCapacityWidthSuitesRegistryElectricityGeneratorsEnginesDraft
- MS MidnatsolThe MS Midnatsol (Midnight Sun) is dedicated to the wonders of Arctic summer. MS Midnatsol has a strong environmental profile and modern de… Read moreBuilt2003 (refurbished in 2017)Guests970CrewLength135.75 m / 445 ftStateroomsGross Tonnage16151 gtBeam21.5 m / 70.5 ftCruising Speed18 kn / 33 kph / 21 mphCapacityWidthSuitesRegistryElectricityGeneratorsEnginesDraft
- MS Roald AmundsenLaunched in 2019, MS Roald Amundsen cruise ship is the first of the two new hybrid-powered expedition ships in Hurtigruten's fleet. T… Read moreBuilt2019Guests530Length140 m / 459 ftStaterooms265Gross Tonnage20 889 TBeam24 m / 79 ftCruising Speed15 knotsCapacityCrewWidthSuitesRegistryElectricityGeneratorsEnginesDraft
- MS SpitsbergenOur new ship, MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary. MS Spitsbergen is named after the crown jewel of Arctic Norway… Read moreBuilt2009 (refurbished in 2016)Guests335CrewLength100.54 m/ 330 ftStaterooms180Gross Tonnage7,344 gtBeam18.0 m/ 59 ftCruising Speed18 knotsCapacityWidthSuitesRegistryElectricityGeneratorsEnginesDraft
- MS Fridtjof NansenMS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom-built ships – and represents the next generation of expeditio… Read moreCapacityBuilt2020Guests530CrewLength140 m / 459 ftWidthSuitesStateroomsRegistryGross Tonnage20 889 TElectricityBeam23.6 m / 77 ftCruising Speed15 knotsGeneratorsEnginesDraft
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 2500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 150,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 40,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Will there be Internet/Wi-Fi connection on Expedition cruises?
Wi-fi is available everywhere on board! Our internet relies on satellite signal and internet speed is dependent on signal strength received. Signal strength might be affected in remote areas.
- For the 19/20 season WiFi is available and bookable on-board for an extra charge. Fees are announced on board. For suite guests, wifi is included free of cost.
- For the 20/21 season WiFi is available and free of cost for everyone.
Will I see the Northern Lights on Expedition cruises?
Unfortunately not. Our Expedition cruises are mostly sailing under the Midnight Sun. For chances of seeing the Northern Lights we recommend to book Norwegian Coastal voyages in winter.
Must I bring my own boots?
Rubber boots are mandatory for all Antarctica voyages and for North-East Greenland. Rubber boots can also be required when visiting National Parks.
You may borrow a pair of high-quality rubber boots free of charge on all our expedition ships with the exception of MS Nordstjernen. On MS Fram we use Muck boots; on MS Midnatsol and MS Spitsbergen we use Hurtigruten rubber boots.
How do the landings operate in Antarctica and Spitsbergen?
All landings are dependent on the weather and ice conditions. Unfortunately, with the unpredictable weather in these polar zones, we can make no guarantees that landings will occur each and every day of your voyage.
What are the Personal Questionnaire and Medical forms and why do I need to fill them in?
The Personal Questionnaire is necessary for the ship manifest, immigration offices, flight tickets and customs. Please fill in the Hurtigruten questionnaire (which will be sent to you right after booking) and send it back to us immediately after the booking is confirmed. Please note that we are unable to send your travel documents until we have received the completed form.
A Medical Certificate needs to be submitted by all passengers joining our voyages to the Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia, the North East side of Greenland, on the Northwest Passage and across the Atlantic Ocean, due to the remoteness of these areas. The Medical Certificate is to be completed and approved by your personal physician not more than 8 weeks before your departure date.
The completed forms must be presented to the ship’s doctor upon boarding. Boarding will be denied if part III of the Medical Certificate is not approved by your personal physician. Even if the forms have been duly submitted and approved by your personal physician, the ship’s doctor and the captain reserve the right to deny the boarding of guests who do not seem to be sufficiently fit for travel.
Will I have my own bathroom and toilet?
In almost all cases, yes. The only exceptions are a few cabins on board the classic ships MS Lofoten and MS Nordstjernen where guests have use of a wash basin in the cabin and share facilities with a few other guests.
Which ships have children’s playrooms?
MS Midnatsol, MS Finnmarken and MS Vesterålen have playrooms.
Are your ships wheelchair accessible?
We are happy to welcome guests who are not fully mobile and all ships (except MS Lofoten) have at least one cabin equipped for travellers using a wheelchair.
Why do I need to pay a single supplement if I am travelling alone?
Our voyage prices are based on two people travelling together and sharing one cabin. A guest wishing to travel by herself will be expected to pay a percentage of the cabin rate. However, we occasionally offer no single supplement.
How can I book excursions and when are they available?
Most excursions are pre-bookable and can be added on to your voyage during the online booking process. The excursions offered on your Coastal or Explorer voyage are listed on the relevant voyage page under the 'Things to see and do' tab.
If you are booking over the phone, excursions can be added at any point from the time of booking the voyage until four weeks prior to departure for Coastal voyages (two weeks if you pay by credit card). Please note that Explorer excursions have limited capacity and can only be booked four weeks before departure (two weeks if paid by credit card).
All excursions are subject to availability and sold on a first come, first served basis. We recommend pre-booking online or over the phone, where possible.
Excursions which are not pre-bookable may be booked from the tour leader on the ship. Excursions booked on board will be payable in Norwegian Kroner and the price may vary as a result of exchange rate fluctuations.
Please bring your driving license if you have pre-booked or are planning to go on any of the snowmobile or ATV excursions. Excursions and their contents are subject to maximum/minimum numbers, sailing times and weather and/or local conditions. If pre-booked excursions have to be cancelled, you will receive a refund on board in NOK.
PDF handbooks and order forms with full descriptions are ready approximately six months before your voyage and will be sent by the TourRadar team to all booked guests.