“The Alpine Explorer tour was full of awesome outdoor activities which showcased the amazing New Zealand South Island mountains and lakes. My wish list of skiing, hiking, and horse riding were ticked off but unfortunately the optional Franz Josef Heli Ice W...“
- More opportunities to get off the beaten track
- Stunning accommodation by lakes, mountains and oceans
- New Zealand owned and operated for over 30 years
- Hike and cycle options for all fitness levels
Since 1988 Flying Kiwi has been recognised as New Zealand's leading adventure tour company. These unique tours focus on getting further off the beaten track - mixing stunning, remote locations with New Zealand's must see highlights. Every trip is carefully structure...
Since 1988 Flying Kiwi has been recognised as New Zealand's leading adventure tour company. These unique tours focus on getting further off the beaten track - mixing stunning, remote locations with New Zealand's must see highlights. Every trip is carefully structured to provide a range of activity options. Choose from a combination of hiking, cycling and adventure activities everyday - no pressure to participate but plenty of choice for everyone. Tasty, healthy meals are included and rather than hostels we stay in tents or cabins by lakes, mountains and oceans - waking up to magnificent views everyday and getting away from the tourist crowds. Flying Kiwi is the only New Zealand company listed in National Geographic's "Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth" for their oustanding trips, customer service and sustainability and the World Travel Awards for the last 6 consecutive years.Read more
48 Flying Kiwi Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- LLauraWild West from Queenstown - top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 12, 2019I had a great time! The food was great and Genna and Charlene (my guides) did a greay job :)Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewThat's great to hear Laura, pleased you enjoyed your trip :)
- ashleighBeach It from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.0 - GoodWritten on December 27, 2018The tour was super - I would have liked to stay on even longer. We were a fairly diverse group, but like-minded people with a spirit of adventure. Most had expe…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewso pleased you enjoyed the trip and thanks for the kind of review. As you say our tour style is definitely suited to those who love the outdoors - sounds like it suited you perfectly :)
- MichaelNorthern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.0 - GoodWritten on December 26, 2018Was a very good tour with good people. Would do it again.Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewBrilliant, thanks Michael we would love to see you on board again at some stage :)
- AGrand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on November 24, 2018Having a great guide, drivers as well as a diverse group that got along makes for a very memorable trip. It was fun camping. Everyone involved making dinner is …Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThank you for your great comments, we're so pleased you enjoyed your trip :)
- ANorthern Wanderer from Auckland - top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on November 11, 2018It was great!!!!!!!!Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewFantastic! So pleased you had a great trip :)
- KrisztinaNorthern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 11, 2018Awesome trip, excellent locations and knowledgeable and funny guides. Frankie and Robbie-John, you rock. Definitely worth the price. Had so much fun, met amazin…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks for the great review Krisztina and so glad you loved the trips - our guides are indeed awesome! :)
- PierineNorthern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.0 - GoodWritten on November 11, 2018I love it, the people, the places, the accomodations and the guides. It was greatFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks Pierine and so great to hear you enjoyed your trip.
- CMConstanceSouthern Light from Christchurch - Top rated by National Geographic4.0 - GoodWritten on November 3, 2018New Zealand is the shining star of this trip. Stunningly beautiful. Chilly in late October but not over run by tourists at that time of spring either. There was…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks for the great comments constance and so pleased you had a great trip
- NWNanAlpine Explorer - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on August 27, 2018The Alpine Explorer tour was full of awesome outdoor activities which showcased the amazing New Zealand South Island mountains and lakes. My wish list of skiing…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThank you Nan we're so pleased you had a great time!
- KorenaNorthern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on July 25, 2018I have zero regrets and a million beautiful memories!Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks and love the comment :)
Flying Kiwi Tours
- Grand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic 15 daysStarts AucklandEnds Queenstown$2,034 $1,594-22%
- Northern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic 5 daysStarts AucklandEnds Wellington$753 $590-22%
- Wild West from Queenstown - top rated by National Geographic 8 daysStarts QueenstownEnds Picton$1,148 $901-22%
About Flying Kiwi
Flying Kiwi videos
- Experience the Tongariro alpine crossing
- A guide to cycling on tour with Flying Kiwi
- Flying Kiwi Student Tours
- Flying Kiwi Tour Video
- Flying Kiwi in one minute
- Show more...
- Tour Highlights
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 1000+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
How much personal spending money should I bring?
As a general rule, it comes out at around NZD$30 per day, depending on the person. Things like meals, accommodation and transport along some free activities are included.
There are optional activities you will need to budget for as well as some meals which are not included in the itinerary.
What is a bush camp?
A bush camp is a campsite usually in a remote or wilderness location. They have limited facilities, usually just a long-drop toilet with a great view!!
Is there mobile phone coverage?
Most of our north island camps have network coverage available. For approximately ½ of the camps in the south island there is no network coverage. As this is an outdoor trip, please respect that some of our passengers have come to escape the rat-race and keep your phones on silent or give yourself a break and turn-off your phone for a few days you never know what you might hear instead.
Where can I charge my camera, phone, batteries, i-pod or MP3 player?
These are regularly available at the commercial campgrounds and some of the buses are also able to charge some of the appliances.
Are activities included in the price?
There are walks each day which are free. Bike rides are also free as long as you have hired a bike. All other optional activities have an associated cost. These can be found on the activities section of the website or in our activity guide on board the bus. Apart from the Routeburn walk and Dolphin Swimm in Kaikoura, these do not need to be booked in advance. Your driver/guide will give you the low-down the night before of what is coming up the next day and you just need to let them know what you would like to do, they take care of everything after that.
I’m a vegetarian or have other dietary requirements – is that a problem?
No problem at all, we are used to catering for all kinds of dietary requirements and as we cook for ourselves we can easily accommodate your needs. Just let us know when you book.
What does the tour leader/assistant do?
Your tour leader/assistant are there to provide you with a wealth of knowledge about New Zealand – history, culture, and trivia as well as recommending and booking activities, doing the shopping and helping with the cooking, and getting you from A to B each day. They are walking guidebooks always there to help and entertain! Please be gentle with them – good guides are hard to find.
It’s Summer. Do I really need thermals and a fleece?
Yes! We can experience extreme weather even in the summer.
What footwear do we need?
You’ll need to bring a decent pair of comfortable footwear, that you can walk in comfortably, trainers are ideal. Hiking boots are good but not essential. It is also good to bring a pair of flip-flops, sandals or thongs (depending on whether you speak NZ English, Oz English or just English) for the camp showers.
Is the Interisland ferry included and how much does it cost?
The Interisland ferry is included on trips that traverse both islands, the Ultimate Explorer, Grand and Reverse Traverse. The other trips it is not included but Flying Kiwi can book this for you, you just need to contact the office.