- More opportunities to get off the beaten track
- Stunning accommodation by lakes, mountains and oceans
- New Zealand owned and operated for over 30 years
- Hike and cycle options for all fitness levels
15 Flying Kiwi Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- SCSharonSummer Blast from Christchurch - top rated by National Geographic4.0 - GoodWritten on March 30, 2017…xperience, great tour. tour leader and helper. Would highly recommend Flying Kiwi.Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks sharon - so pleased you loved the tour and please recommend away :)
- PamelaGrand Traverse from Auckland - top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on March 29, 2017The camping equipment, food and knowledge of places was A1. Bus wasn't comfortable on the longer legs of travel. The guides wer great listeners and tailored adv…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks for the great comments re the equipment, food, guides and places and we are so pleased to see you had a great trip. :) Its very unusual and unfortunate that due to a technical issue we had to change buses for some of your trip. Our newer vehicles do cover the tour faster and we only use these backup vehicles to cover these exceptional circumstances and ensure the tour can continue to sun smoothly. Hopefully you will get to try us again one day.
- YLYeuNorthern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.0 - GoodWritten on February 19, 2017Great and everyone was awesome and the places tooFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks for the kinf words Yeu - so pleased you enjoyed your trip.
- EGEricSummer Blast from Christchurch - top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 12, 2017…very well organized and ran very smoothly. It was very apparent that Flying Kiwi has worked hard to refine the workings of their tours to provid…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks for the kind words Eric and great to hear you enjoyed the experience. :)
- IreneSouthern Light from Picton - Top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on January 8, 2017My trip was better than expected! I loved every day of it! First of all, the group was really nice, average age was around 30 and everyone loved the outdoors. T…Read more
- MCMichelleSummer Blast from Picton - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 5, 2017I did the South Island tour with Flying Kiwi. I loved every minute of it! I have been on a lot of tours like …Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks guys and so pleased the tour was great for you - get in touch if you fancy a re-run :)
- CHCurtisNorthern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 5, 2017…mon interest... to explore and experience nature. We highly recommend Flying Kiwi and if we ever make it back to NZ, we will use them again. Cheer…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks for the kind words Curtis and great to hear you had a good trip - make sure to get in touch if you head back as we offer discounts to those returning :)
- JMJaneneWild West from Queenstown - top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on December 13, 2016Trip was fantastic. Better than expected. Well organised and operatedFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks Janene and so pleased to hear you enjoyed your trip.
- ASALICEGrand Traverse from Auckland - top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on July 1, 2016It's a trip of a lifetimeFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks alice and so pleased to hear you had a great trip
- PrerakHot Rocks from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic3.5 - GoodWritten on May 8, 2016The itinerary was generally good, but expect that you will spend at least half of all waking time on the bus just travelling between different places. NZ is qu…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks for your comments Prerak. We love to hear from passengers and whilst most rate us 5/5 we sincerely appreciate feedback that can help us improve. We are very sensitive to driving times on our tours and take great pride in spending less time on the road (in buses) than many other operators. We average around 3 hours a day on the bus and this is reduced further for those who decide to hire bikes. On our longer tours we spend a couple of nights in the best spots meaning no driving on up to 4 days – all other operators drive every day. Next season we’re launching new, faster buses which means even less driving. Our tours are participatory and for many that’s one of the highlights of the trip – it’s a very relaxed, informal event with your 2 guides leading everything whilst a couple of passengers help with cooking and washing up. This isn’t required every day and on a typical tour you will be helping out once every 3 or 4 days. To read more impartial reviews of our trips use this link - https://www.rankers.co.nz/experiences/1330-Flying_Kiwi_Adventure_Tours .
Flying Kiwi Tours
- Grand Traverse from Auckland - top rated by National Geographic 15 daysStarts AucklandEnds Queenstown$1,861
- Hot Rocks from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic 10 daysStarts AucklandEnds Auckland$1,240
- Northern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic 5 daysStarts AucklandEnds Wellington$687
About Flying Kiwi
Flying Kiwi videos
- Flying Kiwi - The Ultimate New Zealand Adventure
- Experience the Tongariro alpine crossing
- A guide to cycling on tour with Flying Kiwi
- Flying Kiwi Student Tours
- Flying Kiwi New Zealand Tour Video
- Show more...
- Flying Kiwi in one minute
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 60,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 20,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
How much personal spending money should I bring?
As a general rule, it comes out at around NZD$30 per day, depending on the person. Things like meals, accommodation and transport along some free activities are included.
There are optional activities you will need to budget for as well as some meals which are not included in the itinerary.
What is a bush camp?
A bush camp is a campsite usually in a remote or wilderness location. They have limited facilities, usually just a long-drop toilet with a great view!!
Is there mobile phone coverage?
Most of our north island camps have network coverage available. For approximately ½ of the camps in the south island there is no network coverage. As this is an outdoor trip, please respect that some of our passengers have come to escape the rat-race and keep your phones on silent or give yourself a break and turn-off your phone for a few days you never know what you might hear instead.
Where can I charge my camera, phone, batteries, i-pod or MP3 player?
These are regularly available at the commercial campgrounds and some of the buses are also able to charge some of the appliances.
Are activities included in the price?
There are walks each day which are free. Bike rides are also free as long as you have hired a bike. All other optional activities have an associated cost. These can be found on the activities section of the website or in our activity guide on board the bus. Apart from the Routeburn walk and Dolphin Swimm in Kaikoura, these do not need to be booked in advance. Your driver/guide will give you the low-down the night before of what is coming up the next day and you just need to let them know what you would like to do, they take care of everything after that.
I’m a vegetarian or have other dietary requirements – is that a problem?
No problem at all, we are used to catering for all kinds of dietary requirements and as we cook for ourselves we can easily accommodate your needs. Just let us know when you book.
What does the tour leader/assistant do?
Your tour leader/assistant are there to provide you with a wealth of knowledge about New Zealand – history, culture, and trivia as well as recommending and booking activities, doing the shopping and helping with the cooking, and getting you from A to B each day. They are walking guidebooks always there to help and entertain! Please be gentle with them – good guides are hard to find.
It’s Summer. Do I really need thermals and a fleece?
Yes! We can experience extreme weather even in the summer.
What footwear do we need?
You’ll need to bring a decent pair of comfortable footwear, that you can walk in comfortably, trainers are ideal. Hiking boots are good but not essential. It is also good to bring a pair of flip-flops, sandals or thongs (depending on whether you speak NZ English, Oz English or just English) for the camp showers.
Is the Interisland ferry included and how much does it cost?
The Interisland ferry is included on trips that traverse both islands, the Ultimate Explorer, Grand and Reverse Traverse. The other trips it is not included but Flying Kiwi can book this for you, you just need to contact the office.