“This tour has exceeded all my expectations! Before departure I received an email with my itinerary for each day, detailing the included/optional activities, as well as the meals included during the trip. I also received a suggested packing list, which was ...“
- More opportunities to get off the beaten track
- Stunning accommodation by lakes, mountains and oceans
- New Zealand owned and operated for over 30 years
- Hike and cycle options for all fitness levels
Since 1988 Flying Kiwi has been recognised as New Zealand's leading adventure tour company. These unique tours focus on getting further off the beaten track - mixing stunning, remote locations with New Zealand's must see highlights. Every trip is carefully structure...
Since 1988 Flying Kiwi has been recognised as New Zealand's leading adventure tour company. These unique tours focus on getting further off the beaten track - mixing stunning, remote locations with New Zealand's must see highlights. Every trip is carefully structured to provide a range of activity options. Choose from a combination of hiking, cycling and adventure activities everyday - no pressure to participate but plenty of choice for everyone. Tasty, healthy meals are included and rather than hostels we stay in tents or cabins by lakes, mountains and oceans - waking up to magnificent views everyday and getting away from the tourist crowds. Flying Kiwi is the only New Zealand company listed in National Geographic's "Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth" for their oustanding trips, customer service and sustainability and the World Travel Awards for the last 6 consecutive years.Read more
84 Flying Kiwi Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- RRyanWild West from Queenstown - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 19, 2020I've been on several tours with various companies, and was impressed by Flying Kiwi, especially considering it was a camping tour. The outdoor meals were bett…Read more
- EliUltimate Explorer (27 days) from Auckland - top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 17, 2020It was perfect. The organization was excellent. Delicious food, interesting places to visit, unique campsites. Very good price. Highly recommend.
- YNYukoWild West from Queenstown - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 14, 2020“It was a great experience with funstaff and passengers”Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewGreat to hear, thanks for the review Yuko :)
- GabrielaSummer Blast Tour - Top rated by National Geographic3.0 - AverageWritten on January 6, 2020Lots of missing information Very young guide, who wasnt awere, that he was working there snd not for his own enjoyment. Very selective information - some guest …Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewHi Gabriella, We really appreciate all feedback but we are hugely disappointed to read these comments. We carefully monitor the feedback of all guides and will look into this issue immediately. We take great pride in the quality of guides and its consistently the best rated part of our tours. We are so sorry to see that wasn’t the case for you. Our guides undertake thorough training and their professionalism is integral to the quality of our tours and the great feedback we get. This is the first time we have received any feedback like this and rest assured we will look into this and take any action required. We are pleased to see you liked the tour overall.
- VSVictoriaSummer Blast Tour - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on December 30, 2019This tour has exceeded all my expectations! Before departure I received an email with my itinerary for each day, detailing the included/optional activities, as …Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewFantastic! Thanks for the review Victoria, great to hear you enjoyed your tour :)
- FNFranceeneNorthern Wanderer from Auckland - top rated by National Geographic4.0 - GoodWritten on December 20, 2019A bit too fast paced. Would have been nice to spend 2 days at Cathedral Cove area and/ or by the Tongari (sp)? crossing. Food was excellent, liked the cook grou…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks for the feedback and we appreciate your comments. Like you we would love to spend more time in places but its just a case of balance. Our two island tour (at 28 days) is actually the longest out there with more 2 and 3 night stops than any other operator. Its the balance of fitting everything in and catering to the fact that many peoples trips are time limits. Great to hear you enjoyed the trip though and yep our guides are awesome :) We are always looking for ways to tweak our trip and all feedback help for continual improvement.
- MMarkusFrankGrand Traverse (from Auckland) - 15 Days5.0 - ExcellentWritten on December 13, 2019Highly recommend, delicious self made food, excellent Guide /driver Very good hire equipment specially (bikes and tents) I liked all those remote campsites w…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewFantastic, thanks Markus that's great to hear. Cheers, Brenda
- SSylvieUltimate Explorer (28 days) from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on December 12, 2019Wonderful guides, lovely group and amazing sitesFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThank you for your review Sylvie, much appreciated. Cheers, Brenda
- GVGiuliaWild West from Queenstown - Top rated by National Geographic4.0 - GoodWritten on December 9, 2019It was good.Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewThank you for your review Giulia :)
- TNthuyGrand Traverse (from Auckland) - 15 Days5.0 - ExcellentWritten on December 9, 2019Better than expected: - Flying Kiwi team is great which is led by Bobbi John who has a vast of knowledges of all visited places, history of NZ,, sports, activ…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewGreat to hear you enjoyed your trip = we will pass your comments on to the team :)
Flying Kiwi Tours
- Ultimate Explorer (28 days) from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic 28 daysStarts AucklandEnds Auckland$3,003 $2,552-15%
- Grand Traverse (from Auckland) - 15 Days 15 daysStarts AucklandEnds Queenstown$2,133 $1,813-15%
- Northern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic 5 daysStarts AucklandEnds Wellington$738
About Flying Kiwi
Flying Kiwi videos
- Experience the Tongariro alpine crossing
- A guide to cycling on tour with Flying Kiwi
- Flying Kiwi Student Tours
- Flying Kiwi Tour Video
- Flying Kiwi in one minute
- Show more...
- Tour Highlights
- Flying Kiwi Winter Tours - 9 day Alpine Explorer tour
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 2500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 150,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 40,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
How much personal spending money should I bring?
As a general rule, it comes out at around NZD$30 per day, depending on the person. Things like meals, accommodation and transport along some free activities are included.
There are optional activities you will need to budget for as well as some meals which are not included in the itinerary.
What is a bush camp?
A bush camp is a campsite usually in a remote or wilderness location. They have limited facilities, usually just a long-drop toilet with a great view!!
Is there mobile phone coverage?
Most of our north island camps have network coverage available. For approximately ½ of the camps in the south island there is no network coverage. As this is an outdoor trip, please respect that some of our passengers have come to escape the rat-race and keep your phones on silent or give yourself a break and turn-off your phone for a few days you never know what you might hear instead.
Where can I charge my camera, phone, batteries, i-pod or MP3 player?
These are regularly available at the commercial campgrounds and some of the buses are also able to charge some of the appliances.
Are activities included in the price?
There are walks each day which are free. Bike rides are also free as long as you have hired a bike. All other optional activities have an associated cost. These can be found on the activities section of the website or in our activity guide on board the bus. Apart from the Routeburn walk and Dolphin Swimm in Kaikoura, these do not need to be booked in advance. Your driver/guide will give you the low-down the night before of what is coming up the next day and you just need to let them know what you would like to do, they take care of everything after that.
I’m a vegetarian or have other dietary requirements – is that a problem?
No problem at all, we are used to catering for all kinds of dietary requirements and as we cook for ourselves we can easily accommodate your needs. Just let us know when you book.
What does the tour leader/assistant do?
Your tour leader/assistant are there to provide you with a wealth of knowledge about New Zealand – history, culture, and trivia as well as recommending and booking activities, doing the shopping and helping with the cooking, and getting you from A to B each day. They are walking guidebooks always there to help and entertain! Please be gentle with them – good guides are hard to find.
It’s Summer. Do I really need thermals and a fleece?
Yes! We can experience extreme weather even in the summer.
What footwear do we need?
You’ll need to bring a decent pair of comfortable footwear, that you can walk in comfortably, trainers are ideal. Hiking boots are good but not essential. It is also good to bring a pair of flip-flops, sandals or thongs (depending on whether you speak NZ English, Oz English or just English) for the camp showers.
Is the Interisland ferry included and how much does it cost?
The Interisland ferry is included on trips that traverse both islands, the Ultimate Explorer, Grand and Reverse Traverse. The other trips it is not included but Flying Kiwi can book this for you, you just need to contact the office.