“Truly awesome. I had wanted to visit New Zealand for years and taking this tour was everything I imagined it would be. Our tour guides we're fantastic, friendly, and hard working. The food felt like home cooked, healthy, hearty meals. The hikes and bikes o...“
- More opportunities to get off the beaten track
- Stunning accommodation by lakes, mountains and oceans
- New Zealand owned and operated for over 30 years
- Hike and cycle options for all fitness levels
Since 1988 Flying Kiwi has been recognised as New Zealand's leading adventure tour company. These unique tours focus on getting further off the beaten track - mixing stunning, remote locations with New Zealand's must see highlights. Every trip is carefully structure...
Since 1988 Flying Kiwi has been recognised as New Zealand's leading adventure tour company. These unique tours focus on getting further off the beaten track - mixing stunning, remote locations with New Zealand's must see highlights. Every trip is carefully structured to provide a range of activity options. Choose from a combination of hiking, cycling and adventure activities everyday - no pressure to participate but plenty of choice for everyone. Tasty, healthy meals are included and rather than hostels we stay in tents or cabins by lakes, mountains and oceans - waking up to magnificent views everyday and getting away from the tourist crowds. Flying Kiwi is the only New Zealand company listed in National Geographic's "Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth" for their oustanding trips, customer service and sustainability and the World Travel Awards for the last 6 consecutive years.Read more
74 Flying Kiwi Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- HeatherBest of the West - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on August 21, 2019Incredible tour of the most beautiful place on earth! We drove around South Island starting in Queenstown with hopes of getting to Franz Josef. When boulders bl…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks so much Heather and really pleased you loved the tour - can't wait to get you back again and don't forget we offer discounts to returning passengers. :)
- SMstephanie janeUltimate Explorer from Auckland (27 days) - top rated by National Geographic4.0 - GoodWritten on May 11, 2019The experience was great, Becca was amazing and the 3 days planned by Aaron & Becca were amazing. Great trip – I only booked 4 days but stayed for 25. I honestl…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewGreat to hear and thanks for the review Stephanie :)
- FedericaSouthern Light from Picton - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 25, 2019This tour was truly amazing; I don't good enough words to describe how awesome everything was. Charlene and Genna (our tour guide and tour driver) were above an…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewFantastic! That's wonderful to hear thank you Federica, we're so pleased you had such a great time on tour with us. If you're ever down our way again please get in touch, we would love to show you another special corner of NZ. All the best, Brenda & the Flying Kiwi team :)
- BSBillGrand Traverse (from Auckland) - 15 Days5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 20, 2019Robbie John and Frankie were excellent! Very caring and attuned to the needs of the group.Both were great resources when it came to picking an activity. They bo…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks for the feedback and exactly how we like to think or our guys - relaxed but helpful and professional :)
- SCStephanieNorthern Wanderer from Auckland - top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on April 16, 2019The tour was action packed and allowed a lot of free choice in activities. I loved the camping element and the cooking from the bus was great and gave a real se…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewGreat to hear and thank you Stephanie! So pleased you chose us to travel with and hopefully we'll see you on board again sometime :)
- ENElizabethUltimate Explorer from Auckland (27 days) - top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 15, 2019Amazing trip. The thought and organization that the Flying Kiwi team put into their tours is incredible. My tour guides were extremely helpful with anything we …Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewWonderful, thank you for the review Elizabeth. We're so pleased you enjoyed your trip with us :)
- JOJonathanGrand Traverse (from Auckland) - 15 Days5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 14, 2019An amazing trip with an awesome itinerary. Frankie and Robbie-John ran a great operation with a lot of laughs along the way!
- JOJoseNorthern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 5, 2019Aaron and Becca lead a very awesome trip (Northern Lights) 5 days from Auckland to Wellington. What a great life experience. If you like camping and hiking an…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThank you for the review Jose and great to hear you loved your tour with us. We'll pass your comments onto Aaron and Becca (we agree they do lead a very awesome trip) and hopefully we'll see you back on board the Flying Kiwi bus one day ????
- LHLoisGrand Traverse (from Auckland) - 15 Days4.0 - GoodWritten on March 28, 2019Thank you Genna & Charlene for making this experience once in a lifetime!Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks Lois, we'll pass your comment onto the team :)
- MMylesSichewskiUltimate Explorer from Auckland (28 days) - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 26, 2019Truly awesome. I had wanted to visit New Zealand for years and taking this tour was everything I imagined it would be. Our tour guides we're fantastic, friendly…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThank you for the review Myles - you've really summed up what we're all about! ????
Flying Kiwi Tours
- Ultimate Explorer from Auckland (28 days) - Top rated by National Geographic 28 daysStarts AucklandEnds Auckland$2,885 $2,452-15%
- Grand Traverse (from Auckland) - 15 Days 15 daysStarts AucklandEnds Queenstown$2,049 $1,742-15%
- Northern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic 5 daysStarts AucklandEnds Wellington$709 $602-15%
About Flying Kiwi
Flying Kiwi videos
- Experience the Tongariro alpine crossing
- A guide to cycling on tour with Flying Kiwi
- Flying Kiwi Student Tours
- Flying Kiwi Tour Video
- Flying Kiwi in one minute
- Show more...
- Tour Highlights
- Flying Kiwi Winter Tours - 9 day Alpine Explorer tour
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 1000+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 40,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
How much personal spending money should I bring?
As a general rule, it comes out at around NZD$30 per day, depending on the person. Things like meals, accommodation and transport along some free activities are included.
There are optional activities you will need to budget for as well as some meals which are not included in the itinerary.
What is a bush camp?
A bush camp is a campsite usually in a remote or wilderness location. They have limited facilities, usually just a long-drop toilet with a great view!!
Is there mobile phone coverage?
Most of our north island camps have network coverage available. For approximately ½ of the camps in the south island there is no network coverage. As this is an outdoor trip, please respect that some of our passengers have come to escape the rat-race and keep your phones on silent or give yourself a break and turn-off your phone for a few days you never know what you might hear instead.
Where can I charge my camera, phone, batteries, i-pod or MP3 player?
These are regularly available at the commercial campgrounds and some of the buses are also able to charge some of the appliances.
Are activities included in the price?
There are walks each day which are free. Bike rides are also free as long as you have hired a bike. All other optional activities have an associated cost. These can be found on the activities section of the website or in our activity guide on board the bus. Apart from the Routeburn walk and Dolphin Swimm in Kaikoura, these do not need to be booked in advance. Your driver/guide will give you the low-down the night before of what is coming up the next day and you just need to let them know what you would like to do, they take care of everything after that.
I’m a vegetarian or have other dietary requirements – is that a problem?
No problem at all, we are used to catering for all kinds of dietary requirements and as we cook for ourselves we can easily accommodate your needs. Just let us know when you book.
What does the tour leader/assistant do?
Your tour leader/assistant are there to provide you with a wealth of knowledge about New Zealand – history, culture, and trivia as well as recommending and booking activities, doing the shopping and helping with the cooking, and getting you from A to B each day. They are walking guidebooks always there to help and entertain! Please be gentle with them – good guides are hard to find.
It’s Summer. Do I really need thermals and a fleece?
Yes! We can experience extreme weather even in the summer.
What footwear do we need?
You’ll need to bring a decent pair of comfortable footwear, that you can walk in comfortably, trainers are ideal. Hiking boots are good but not essential. It is also good to bring a pair of flip-flops, sandals or thongs (depending on whether you speak NZ English, Oz English or just English) for the camp showers.
Is the Interisland ferry included and how much does it cost?
The Interisland ferry is included on trips that traverse both islands, the Ultimate Explorer, Grand and Reverse Traverse. The other trips it is not included but Flying Kiwi can book this for you, you just need to contact the office.