“A highly enjoyable 27 day tour in New Zealand, starting and finishing in Auckland. Flying Kiwi have fine-tuned their tours to cover as much as possible on both islands and they cover a lot of ground so expect to spend at least a few hours on the bus each d...“
- More opportunities to get off the beaten track
- Stunning accommodation by lakes, mountains and oceans
- New Zealand owned and operated for over 30 years
- Hike and cycle options for all fitness levels
Since 1988 Flying Kiwi has been recognised as New Zealand's leading adventure tour company. These unique tours focus on taking travellers beyond the tourist trail to experience some of the more remote parts of the country as well as the more famous attractions. We p...
Since 1988 Flying Kiwi has been recognised as New Zealand's leading adventure tour company. These unique tours focus on taking travellers beyond the tourist trail to experience some of the more remote parts of the country as well as the more famous attractions. We proud to be kiwi owned and operated providing authentic, "local" travel experiences. Every trip is carefully structured to provide a range of activity options. Choose from a combination of hiking, cycling and adventure activities everyday - no pressure to participate but plenty of choice for everyone. Tasty, healthy meals are included and rather than hostels we stay in tents or cabins by lakes, mountains and oceans - waking up to magnificent views everyday and getting away from the tourist crowds. Flying Kiwi is the only New Zealand company listed in National Geographic's "Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth" for their oustanding trips, customer service and sustainability and the World Travel Awards for the last 6 consecutive years.Read more
34 Flying Kiwi Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- IwonaGrand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on April 22, 2018The weather made that many points from the program were not done/seen. That's the real pity. I would be advise to share 1 week before the trip the weather condi…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewHI Iwona, I am sorry to hear you didnt get great weather but thanks for the feedback and we will pass this through to our team. Its always changeable in nz but we work around this as best we can.
- KHKaraGrand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on April 15, 2018Fabulous adventure camping tour covering a broad range of nature, hiking , adventure experiences. The guides were so fun and accomodating, knowledgeable and we…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewSo pleased you had a great tour Kara and thanks for your feedback
- IrinaSouthern Light from Christchurch - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 5, 2018The scenery is amazing. Not the usual tourist track which makes is more relaxing and quiet. Very very please overall!!Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks Irina and exactly what we try and do - "beyond the tourist trail!" :)
- VMVickieNorthern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on April 3, 2018The tour was wonderful. Everything went according to plan and ran smoothly due to the great guides we had on our trip. We saw amazing scenery and had fantastic …Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks for the review Vickie and so pleased you had a great trip.
- DDDianneTotal Aotearoa from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on March 28, 2018New Zealand is gorgeous and the tour immersed us in the top areas of natural beauty. Camping on the shores of the Pacific Ocean, Tasman Sea, lakes and rivers w…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewgreat to hear you had a good time Dianne and love the pics :)
- MSMachikoNorthern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on March 25, 2018Tour guide were very helpful and kind. People with us in our tour were nicest people. Places we went were so beautiful. Thank you so much!Flying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks so much for your kind words Machiko and so pleased to hear you had a great trip with a lovely group. :)
- KHKaraBeach It from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 22, 2018Fabulous tour. Plenty of nature, physical activity, options for adventures and very knowledgeable and supportive guides. Camping was a bit of a challenge at 60…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks Kara we're so pleased you had a great time! ????
- SESueReverse Traverse from Queenstown - Top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on March 13, 2018If you enjoy camping in all weathers, love the camaraderie of meeting new people and touring with them. Happy to take up a challenge and try new experiences the…Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewThanks Sue and so glad you had a great trip. You're review is spot on for loving the outdoors though we do throw in some hostel nights and cabin upgrades for those who fancy taking a break from the canvas. :)
- MRMarianSouthern Light from Picton - Top rated by National Geographic5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 10, 2018I wanted a tour which covered much of the South Island in a relatively short time which this did. It meant a lot of travelling but there were frequent stops at …Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewgreat to hear you had a good trip Marian - you are right and it is action packed but we are proud to take more time than alternative tours and so pelased you enjoyed the experience - if you fancy heading back for the north don't forget our repeat visitors discount :)
- ScottUltimate Explorer from Auckland (27 days) - top rated by National Geographic4.5 - ExcellentWritten on February 26, 2018A highly enjoyable 27 day tour in New Zealand, starting and finishing in Auckland. Flying Kiwi have fine-tuned their tours to cover as much as possible on both …Read moreFlying Kiwi commented on this reviewthanks scott and a perfect explanation of our trips. As you say we squeeze a lot in though we should mentioned our trip is the longest out there at 28 days....most other companies squeeze it into 21 but thats not for us! :)
Flying Kiwi Tours
- Grand Traverse from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic 15 daysStarts AucklandEnds Queenstown$2,024
- Northern Light from Auckland - Top rated by National Geographic 5 daysStarts AucklandEnds Wellington$749
- Wild West from Queenstown - top rated by National Geographic 8 daysStarts QueenstownEnds Picton$1,143
About Flying Kiwi
Flying Kiwi videos
- Flying Kiwi - The Ultimate New Zealand Adventure
- Experience the Tongariro alpine crossing
- A guide to cycling on tour with Flying Kiwi
- Flying Kiwi Student Tours
- Flying Kiwi New Zealand Tour Video
- Show more...
- Flying Kiwi in one minute
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 600+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
How much personal spending money should I bring?
As a general rule, it comes out at around NZD$30 per day, depending on the person. Things like meals, accommodation and transport along some free activities are included.
There are optional activities you will need to budget for as well as some meals which are not included in the itinerary.
What is a bush camp?
A bush camp is a campsite usually in a remote or wilderness location. They have limited facilities, usually just a long-drop toilet with a great view!!
Is there mobile phone coverage?
Most of our north island camps have network coverage available. For approximately ½ of the camps in the south island there is no network coverage. As this is an outdoor trip, please respect that some of our passengers have come to escape the rat-race and keep your phones on silent or give yourself a break and turn-off your phone for a few days you never know what you might hear instead.
Where can I charge my camera, phone, batteries, i-pod or MP3 player?
These are regularly available at the commercial campgrounds and some of the buses are also able to charge some of the appliances.
Are activities included in the price?
There are walks each day which are free. Bike rides are also free as long as you have hired a bike. All other optional activities have an associated cost. These can be found on the activities section of the website or in our activity guide on board the bus. Apart from the Routeburn walk and Dolphin Swimm in Kaikoura, these do not need to be booked in advance. Your driver/guide will give you the low-down the night before of what is coming up the next day and you just need to let them know what you would like to do, they take care of everything after that.
I’m a vegetarian or have other dietary requirements – is that a problem?
No problem at all, we are used to catering for all kinds of dietary requirements and as we cook for ourselves we can easily accommodate your needs. Just let us know when you book.
What does the tour leader/assistant do?
Your tour leader/assistant are there to provide you with a wealth of knowledge about New Zealand – history, culture, and trivia as well as recommending and booking activities, doing the shopping and helping with the cooking, and getting you from A to B each day. They are walking guidebooks always there to help and entertain! Please be gentle with them – good guides are hard to find.
It’s Summer. Do I really need thermals and a fleece?
Yes! We can experience extreme weather even in the summer.
What footwear do we need?
You’ll need to bring a decent pair of comfortable footwear, that you can walk in comfortably, trainers are ideal. Hiking boots are good but not essential. It is also good to bring a pair of flip-flops, sandals or thongs (depending on whether you speak NZ English, Oz English or just English) for the camp showers.
Is the Interisland ferry included and how much does it cost?
The Interisland ferry is included on trips that traverse both islands, the Ultimate Explorer, Grand and Reverse Traverse. The other trips it is not included but Flying Kiwi can book this for you, you just need to contact the office.