- Over 36 years' experience planning adventure
- Small group tours to 120 countries
- Committed to responsible travel around the world
- Adventure travel is our way of life - not a job
Explore have been creating award-winning adventures for over 35 years and are experts when it comes to unique travel experiences. Our small group adventures have been running since 1981 and today, Explore is one of the world's most trusted adventure travel companies ...
Explore have been creating award-winning adventures for over 35 years and are experts when it comes to unique travel experiences. Our small group adventures have been running since 1981 and today, Explore is one of the world's most trusted adventure travel companies with over 500 trips to more than 120 countries. At Explore, we are passionate about travel and have developed a wide range of unique activities and adventures which give our customers an unforgettable experience with a team of award-winning Explore leaders . With Explore, you'll get to see your destination from a whole new perspective that takes you away from the typical well-trodden tourist track. You'll have the chance to meet, dine and stay with local people, rest in authentic accommodation with other like-minded explorers and travel to must-see destinations with a unique Explore twist. From family holidays to trips for solo travellers; cycling tours to wildlife safaris; trekking on mountains or exploring miles of scenic coastline; self-guided journeys or small group trips; there is something for every kind of traveller with Explore. We will provide our expert knowledge, exciting itineraries and outstanding service as part of our sustainable travel experiences which take you under the skin of the country you're visiting for the adventure of a lifetime.Read more
3 Explore! Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 3.5 / 5
- 3.5 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 3.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- LenkaA Taste of Puglia (2018)4.0 - GoodWritten on June 15, 2018This was my first time in Puglia. The weather was great, the company was perfect, wine and dishes excellent. Thanks. I want more Puglian experiences.Explore! commented on this reviewHi Lenka, It was great that you enjoyed the trip - it is a beautiful part of Italy. Keep an eye open for some more Puglia experiences from Explore that you will probably love. Ciaran - Explore
- SWSuzanneMoscow and St. Petersburg (2018)3.5 - GoodWritten on June 5, 2018The tour was good. The lack of double accomodation really upsetting. Why do couples only get twin rooms when there were doubles available in that price range wh…Read moreExplore! commented on this reviewThank you for your comments Suzanne, I’m really pleased to read that you had a good time overall in Russia, and you made some great new friends during your travels. Due to the nature of our group adventure trips, the standard bed configuration is ‘twin’ bedded rooms, and as we advised you before your departure, we simply cannot guarantee that a double bed will be available, and that this would be on a request basis only. Please be assured that a request was made correctly with our Local Agent and the hotels, in good time; however I’m genuinely sorry that on this occasion they were not able to fulfil this preference. With regards to the hotel price for your post tour accommodation, sadly there will often be cheaper (or more expensive) rooms available online, and on this occasion we simply couldn’t match the price that you able to find elsewhere – if we could, we certainly would have done. I am pleased to see though that my colleagues assisted you in cancelling your additional night’s stay in Moscow, with no cancellation charges on this occasion so that you were able to take advantage of this cheaper price found. I hope you can appreciate that, given that we operate trips in over 100 countries worldwide, it is not always possible for us to be in a position to make the detailed arrangements we need to from the UK, and it is for this reason that we employ professional Local Ground Agents to assist us in this respect for some elements of your trip such as the accommodation, transport and leaders. Thank you again for your feedback and we do always take the points raised very seriously. Kind regards, Ciaran Whelan
- Main Page Video
- Cambodia Highlights
- Sacred Land of the Incas
Variety of Choices
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 600+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Do we need to give parental consent for Family Adventures?
Any child under the age of 16 wishing to participate in the advertised activities can do so only with full consent of their parent or guardian.
What are the age limits for Family Adventures?
Because of the active nature of Family Adventures, we provide guidelines regarding the minimum age for each trip. This ranges from 7 years, depending on the level of activity involved and overall suitability for younger children. Please check individual trip pages for specific information about this. Our dedicated Teenage Trips and Teen Departures are generally for families with children aged 11 to 17. On certain trips the minimum age limits are strictly applied, on others there may be some flexibility. Please contact us if your requirements are not straightforward; if for example, you have one child who is below the age threshold but another who is not.
What is the average party size for Family Adventures?
Group size usually ranges from between 10 to 18 people, depending on the type of trip, the transport and accommodation used and activities included. We rarely have groups that are smaller than six or seven people and the average group size is 12 people. You will typically be travelling with between three and five other families. We very occasionally have groups that are smaller than six or seven people. On rare occasions you may be the only family on the trip.
What rooming do you use for Family Adventures?
We will room your family in the most appropriate way using a mixture of twin, triple, double and single rooms as necessary. Please note that sometimes a triple room may be a twin room with an additional bed added. We will leave it to you to decide who shares with whom in your family group. We will do our very best to give you rooms next to each other but we can't promise this. In exceptional cases, where accommodation is limited, for example on boat-based trips, one or more of you may need to share with members of another family. On some trips a night or two may be spent in communal sleeping areas, for example a village house, hacienda or overnight trains.
What about responsible tourism?
Responsible tourism is - and always has been - one of the driving principles of Explore. We care deeply about travelling in a way that positively impacts the people and places we visit. To us responsible travel means that:
We ensure people who work for Explore are treated fairly and paid a fair wage.
We learn about and respect the customs and culture of the country we are visiting so that we do not offend local people
We ensure that local people benefit economically by employing them as leaders, guides and drivers - and by eating in local restaurants and using locally owned hotels where possible
We minimise our impact on the environment by travelling in small groups, offsetting our carbon emissions, reducing waste and supporting conservation projects
We’ve worked hard at these things to ensure we are welcomed in the places we all love to visit, meaning local people benefit and our groups enjoy a better trip. It could be through some of our great community based tourism experiences, meeting local people or experiencing the pristine wilderness and leaving it untouched. Want to see how your tour makes a difference? Have a look at the Earth matters box on every tour.
Is adventure travel safe?
Travelling to far-flung corners of the earth involves adapting to living conditions that are often very different from your own. Please be prepared for unusual situations, local differences and unpredictable events. Adventure holidays are not necessarily suitable for people who expect to be pampered or who like everything to go exactly as planned. You should also be aware that some countries around the world have security problems. Thieves, muggers and drug pushers are likely to be active in big cities and street markets; and certain areas may be considered ‘out-of-bounds’ for tourists. However, most crime is opportunistic. Using your common sense will reduce the risks. Unfortunately, no destination can be guaranteed to be safe from terrorism. We constantly monitor the political situation in the regions we visit and will re-route or cancel a trip if we feel it is necessary. If you are concerned about your safety when visiting a particular destination, please contact the Foreign Office or the appropriate embassy.
Do I need to worry about High altitude?
Several trips reach elevations of 2500 metres or more. We allow time for acclimatisation and usually the body acclimatises well to spending extended periods of time above this altitude. It is difficult to predict who is at risk from altitude sickness but if you have a heart or respiratory problem we advise you not to risk extended travel or trekking at high altitudes and to check with your doctor.
How fit do I need to be to participate in the trip?
All Explore trips require some level of active participation. This could be on a cultural trip, trek, safari, expedition or voyage. It is in the interests of all members of the group that everyone should be capable of fully participating in the activities of their chosen trip. With this in mind, please be aware that (as detailed in our Booking Conditions) if it is felt that any customer is not able to participate in a trip without endangering the health or safety of themselves or any other person (including other group members), or that the presence of the customer on the trip means we will be unable to provide the trip, in whole or part, to other members of the group as advertised and contracted, the Tour Leader at any stage has the right to require them to leave the trip. To ensure that this is never necessary, please make sure that you have fully understood the level of fitness and ability required to complete the trip on which you are booking. It is your responsibility to let us know if you have any concerns related to this subject. If you have any medical condition or disability which may affect your trip arrangements in any way, you must provide us with full details at the time of booking.
What if I have any pre-existing medical conditions?
If you, your travelling companions, or anyone upon whom your travel depends (such as a friend or family member whose illness or death would result in you wishing to cancel or curtail your trip) have a pre-existing medical condition you must inform your travel insurance company of this when you purchase your policy. Please ensure that you receive written confirmation from them that the condition is covered. You must take this written confirmation with you on trip, in addition to the insurance policy itself. If you don't, you may not have appropriate cover.
Do I need to have Travel insurance?
You must have valid travel insurance. You will need to confirm to your Tour Leader that you are covered by a travel insurance policy at the start of the trip. For this reason your original insurance policy must be carried with you on trip. If you have arranged your own insurance please ensure that your documentation shows you as the named policyholder and that the cover is valid for the entire period of travel. It must also indicate that you have cover for (at least) Medical Expenses and Emergency Repatriation in the event of illness or injury. Please ensure that a 24 hour contact telephone number for your Insurance Company is written on your documentation in case of an emergency. If you are unable to provide this information at the start of the trip you will not be able to continue with us-unless you purchase a suitable Insurance Policy.