“Wonderful trip! We were picked up from the airport with a sign, taken to our hotel, then greeted at the hotel by our guide for the week. Here he explained to us what was to happen throughout the week and anything we needed to know about where we were stayi...“
Awards & Recognitions
Encounters Travel Guides
- Wide selection of cultural and adventurous tours
- Travel in complete safety
- Local guides giving perfect insights on the destinations
- Multi-cultural group tours
Encounters Travel is an adventure tour operator, based in the UK but with representatives in Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. We run a wide selection of cultural and adventurous tours around the world, each carefully designed to help you get the most...
Encounters Travel is an adventure tour operator, based in the UK but with representatives in Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. We run a wide selection of cultural and adventurous tours around the world, each carefully designed to help you get the most out of the country you're visiting. Our tours range from historical sightseeing and Nile cruises in Egypt, through to long strenuous treks and white water rafting in Nepal or swimming with whales in Tonga. You can join other travellers on a small group departure, or personalise and tailor-make an itinerary for you to enjoy privately. Whatever your preference, we have a team of experienced travel consultants ready to advise you and help arrange your next great adventure!Read more
112 Encounters Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- RRichardHarrisBiblical Israel5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 12, 2018Range of things we saw, the excellent guide and other tour members
- SSShanthiClassic Greece5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 10, 2018The tour was very good and covered most of the sights that I wanted to see. The City tour on day 2 was only for half day and I took the option to visit Cape Sou…Read moreEncounters Travel commented on this reviewDear Shanthi, Thanks for taking the time to get back to us with this feedback and for your fantastic review, we very much appreciate your 5-star rating! Thank you also for your tips on the itinerary and the additional day trip on day 2. We do offer the Cape Sounio tour locally, but will certainly look at offering it as a standard option available in advance too. The tour does concentrate on the classical sites and museums, though we're planning to extend it and include the monasteries and spectacular scenery at Meteora for 2019 which will add some more variety. I'm sure our future travellers will find your advice very helpful when they embark on this adventure and I hope that you'll decide to join us again in the future!
- MelanieEgyptian Legacy3.0 - AverageWritten on April 9, 2018…experience, there were a few things that really could have ruined it. Encounters Travel over charged us, especially once we saw what we paid for. …Read moreEncounters Travel commented on this reviewHi Melanie, Many thanks for your review. I’m delighted that you enjoyed the tour in Egypt overall, and had an amazing experience. That’s great to hear, and we’ll pass on your positive comments to our partners in Egypt and your guides. I’m sorry you weren’t happy with some other things though, and have just made a couple of notes here. As advised before you travelled, your cruise boat was the Iberotel Crown Empress, which is an Egyptian 5-star-deluxe level boat, and certainly not the oldest or cheapest on the Nile. You can be assured that there are many boats at both the 5-star-deluxe and 5-star level which do not come up to the same standard. It is a shame that they didn’t offer any Egyptian meals – the boats normally theme their dinners and have one night of the cruise with mainly Egyptian dishes, so it’s unusual that didn’t happen during your cruise. I’m sorry that the schedule of the boat was changed and cut down your daytime sailing time. Unfortunately that was out of our control, and done to help out other guests who had some issues with their own trip. I’m glad you were happy with our own flexibility for you through the tour though. That is something that we work very hard on offering as particularly for low numbers we know it can make a real difference to your enjoyment of your time in the country. We did inform you before you travelled that there were only 2 people on the tour – I can see this in the Tour Radar conversation thread between us and your friend who travelled with you on 22 March, 10 days before departure. We did run a special Egypt sale in February this year, which gave up to 50% off some tours. Unfortunately sales like this can only apply to new bookings (that’s not just our rule, but one made by our hotel and other suppliers in Egypt as well, that they are pretty strict on). So, we can’t backdate sales like this to earlier bookings, and as you booked in November we were not able to pass on the discount). We did explain this to you several times then, and despite your repeated threats then to post bad reviews of your holiday online, we had to stick to the original price that you paid, and were happy with in November.
- TFTimJordan on a Shoestring2.5 - AverageWritten on April 7, 2018There should be time right at the beginning for fellow travellers to get to know each other. Travellers should be allowed to do their own thing at stops. We we…Read moreEncounters Travel commented on this reviewHi Tim, Thank you for taking the time to get back to us with your feedback. I’m sorry that you weren’t happy with the way the guiding was managed on this tour. All guides do have their own individual style and as most are very proud of their country, they do want to get a lot of information across to you. There's always a balance to strike between doing that and giving free time to explore, and we have to be careful not to upset other people in the group by going too far the other way either. However, if you want to miss out on some of the explanations and history and just explore independently, you should be able to do that. That is within reason though, as the guide does need to be careful that they know where everyone is, sometimes because the sites are so big it can be easy to get lost and separated if you haven't been told where the guide is moving on to with the group next, and also on travelling days where we need to be careful to keep to a schedule so further visits later in the day aren't affected. We're having a chat with the guide on your tour just to make sure that they do allow some flexibility of the kind you obviously wanted more of. To get a fully flexible time where you can listen and explore independently as much as you like, we do run a lot of tailor-made tours which are much more suited to accommodating this than a group tour.
- SSShanthiClassic Greece5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 5, 2018The tour was compact and very well organised. The locations were ideal and beautiful with lovely hotels (Hotel Europa, Olympia and Amalia Hotel in Delphi).
- JHJosephineImperial Cities3.0 - AverageWritten on March 24, 2018Except for Ibis Hotel, the other hotels were old and dirty. The food is the same everyday - no variation. In Oudaya hotel the pancakes were so hard and only swe…Read moreEncounters Travel commented on this reviewDear Josephine, Thank you for taking the time to get back to us with your feedback. I’m sorry that you weren’t happy with the accommodations provided on this tour. This is one of our Shoestring tours which uses simple 3-star level accommodation throughout, however this isn’t an excuse for any lack of cleanliness you might have experienced. We’ll certainly be looking into this and will take action to remedy this where necessary. If you did mention these issues to your guide whilst on tour, I hope that he was able to help you in resolving any issues with your hotel rooms as this is one of their roles and they are there to help. On our Imperial Cities tour we do offer the option of upgrading to 4-star accommodation on a request basis and we recently introduced the option to upgrade to full board also (to include all meals as some members of your group had booked). On the set tour we only include 1 lunch (on day 2 in Marrakech) and I am sorry if you felt in pressured to join the full board passengers for lunch with them. In some places where we're driving and stop for lunch, it's not possible to eat anywhere else, but in others there should be some flexibility, as long as you're aware of the time you need to be ready to leave. As the Imperial Cities tour is one of our Shoestring tours we do operate the tour with a multi-lingual tour leader assisting some travellers with different first languages. Sightseeing tours are always provided for you in English though. In general we have found that this has worked well and allows us to guarantee more departure dates and offer the tour at a more favourable rate, which is what people booking shoestring level trips are often looking for. We explain this within our tour notes where we state the following: "In Morocco we provide fully trained, local English-speaking guides for all of the sightseeing tours. Our local reps in all the towns and cities en-route are also at your service, and will be handling all the practical arrangements for the tour. Please note that whilst all tours will be conducted in English we may also use multi-lingual guides to accommodate guests from other countries." Whilst sightseeing in Fez we do include a couple of shop type stops, however you are under no obligation to purchase at any of these. Overall shopping is always something that it is difficult to get right for everyone, as some people want to do lots of shopping, some none at all, and some people prefer a well established shop while others like to haggle in the markets. In Fez in particular it is more difficult to avoid visiting some shops as the Tanneries for example are best experienced from the balconies of the leather shops which tend to surround them. To access these viewing areas we do have to allow the shops to do their ‘sales pitch’, however we do believe that this is necessary as wouldn’t get the same experience of the tanneries otherwise.
Encounters Travel Tours
About Encounters Travel
Encounters Travel videos
- South Africa with Encounters Travel
- Encounters Travel
Awards & Recognitions
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 70,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 20,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
We are there for you! If you have any questions about this operator, then please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours!