Once upon a time, you had to be prepared to shell out your life savings to book a wellness retreat. Fortunately, for those of us in need of a mind-body-soul reboot ASAP, that’s no longer the case.
Nowadays, it’s entirely possible to find swoon-worthy and affordable health-centric holidays — even in far-flung destinations like Thailand or Sri Lanka. Better yet, many resorts offer all-inclusive packages, so you just need to find a cheap airfare deal and you’re set.
If you’re keen to get blissed-out on a budget, you’ve come to the right place. Here are seven affordable wellness retreats in Asia you can book without breaking the bank.
- Museflower Retreat & Spa – Chiang Rai, Thailand
- Balitrees Retreat – Bali, Indonesia
- Purple Valley Yoga Retreat – Goa, India
- Samahita Retreat – Koh Samui, Thailand
- Hinterland Village Yoga & Ayurveda Retreat – Kerala, India
- Talalla Retreat – Talalla, Sri Lanka
- Yoga Barn – Bali, Indonesia
See Also: Wellness trips in Asia
1. Museflower Retreat & Spa – Chiang Rai, Thailand
Nestled among the lush, green landscapes of Northern Thailand, Museflower Retreat & Spa focuses on helping visitors find balance through emotional and mental wellness. All of their three, five, and seven-night packages include accommodation, daily yoga and meditation classes, spa treatments, and three vegetarian meals per day, so the price is totally wallet-friendly.
When you’re not sweating it out in a vinyasa class, you can enjoy ultimate relaxation in the herbal steam room, heated Himalayan crystal saltwater pool, or creative studio.
- Price (as of September 2019): Retreat packages start at $539 USD/£432 depending on the length of stay and room type
2. Balitrees Retreat – Bali, Indonesia
Balitrees Retreat has it all: a gorgeous setting surrounded by rice paddies and swaying palms, yoga and meditation, three freshly-prepared Balinese meals per day, and a range of optional cultural activities such as cooking classes, tours to nearby temples, and language classes.
The retreat offers an all-inclusive nightly rate, so you can choose the dates that suit you best and stay as long as you’d like.
- Price (as of September 2019): Shared guesthouse rooms start at $98 USD/£78 per night
3. Purple Valley Yoga Retreat – Goa, India
If you’re looking for a retreat where you can rejuvenate your body and mind, deepen your yoga practice, and completely switch off, Purple Valley is your place. Notable features of the retreat include beautiful facilities spread throughout a serene, tropical setting, daily ashtanga yoga classes, and delicious buffet-style meals prepared by Ayurvedic chefs.
Die-hard yogis will feel most at home here, but yogis of all levels are welcome at Purple Valley — beginners included. One or two-week packages include accommodation, all yoga classes, and three vegetarian meals per day. You have the option of shared or private rooms, but the latter will cost you a bit more.
- Price (as of Septemeber 2019): A one-week retreat with shared accommodation starts at $774 USD/£620
4. Samahita Retreat – Koh Samui, Thailand
Want the full Thai island experience without the tourists and booze-fueled partygoers? Look no further than Samahita Retreat in Thailand. A choice of fully customisable programmes and top-notch accommodation make it a great choice for anyone looking to book a wellness-focused vacation, but its standout feature is definitely its beachside location.
Situated near Laem Sor beach and overlooking the ocean, you’ll feel at ease as soon as you step foot on the gorgeous property. And there’s a variety of amenities and facilities to keep you feeling that way throughout your entire stay — from an indoor cycling studio to a meditation garden and a beachfront dining area. The best part? Their signature YogaCoreCycle programme is all-inclusive.
- Price (as of September 2019): Their signature programme starts at $158 USD/£126 per night with shared accommodation
5. Hinterland Village Yoga & Ayurveda Retreat – Kerala, India
If you’re after a healthy getaway that focuses on Ayurveda treatments and yoga, you’ll find it at Hinterland Village. Along with daily yoga classes and a selection of home-cooked, nourishing meals, all retreats include personalised Ayurvedic consultations, massage, yoga philosophy, and steam bath treatments.
Accommodations are fairly basic, but there are plenty of alluring communal areas available where you can unplug, reconnect with nature, and bond with your retreat mates. Shared rooms can accommodate up to three people, keeping rates low and accessible for those on a budget.
- Price (as of September 2019): A six-day all-inclusive retreat starts at $450 USD/£360 with a private room
6. Talalla Retreat – Talalla, Sri Lanka
The founders of Talalla Retreat understand that wellness means something different to everyone — and that’s why they offer a diverse selection of activities that cater to travellers of all sorts.
If you’re the type of person who can’t sit still — or if you want a holistic holiday that focuses on fitness — you’ll love the retreats on offer here. Learn to hang ten on a surf and yoga retreat, or amp up your exercise routine on a wellness retreat, complete with daily classes like pilates, boxilates, surfing, and mediation.
The resort’s location has everything you want in an idyllic beach vacation (think: open-air facilities, beach-front villas, jungle-clad grounds), and cultural excursions let you experience Sri Lanka beyond the resort. Splurge on a luxurious bamboo hut or opt for a modest dorm room — either way, you’ll leave feeling refreshed and renewed.
- Price (as of September 2019): A five-day wellness retreat starts at $800 USD/£640 with dorm-style accommodation
7. Yoga Barn – Bali, Indonesia
With more than 15 classes and workshops on offer every day — ranging from yin yoga to tai chi, sound healing and ecstatic dance — the retreats at Yoga Barn are anything but ordinary.
Not only is this Ubud institution chock-full of dynamic activities to reduce stress and boost endorphins, but it also provides a tranquil environment to facilitate healing and renewal for the mind, body, and soul. It’s the kind of place where you can easily spend days, or even weeks, immersed in its programmes.
- Price (as of September 2019): A personalised seven-day yoga retreat starts at $631 USD/£505