“This was our first cycle tour. The gentleman from bike plus (the local tour company) gave us our booklet which contained maps, detailed directions and details of hotel, tours and local information. He also went over how to use the gps. We chose to bring ou...“
- Based in Italy (Emilia-Romagna)
- Top-notch itineraries and immersive travel experiences
- Personalized pre-tour advise and assistance
Cycle Europe has been running bicycle tours in Europe longer than most companies have existed (since 1972!) - so our ties to this region run deep. We’ve taken care of all the details for you. Our self-guided cycling holidays include suggestions for the best meals and...
Cycle Europe has been running bicycle tours in Europe longer than most companies have existed (since 1972!) - so our ties to this region run deep. We’ve taken care of all the details for you. Our self-guided cycling holidays include suggestions for the best meals and unique activities, plenty of insider tips and stops along the way for a refreshment or that incredible view. On our guided group tours, you will enjoy the camaraderie of your group as you cycle through beautiful landscapes and charming towns. We know the best routes to the not-to-be-missed sights (as well as the lesser-known gems) while avoiding unnecessary traffic in and out of the cities. And finally, we are available for you with personalized, pre-tour advise and assistance, helping ensure your cycling vacations turn into a cherished experience. Our bike tours are also designed to be affordable, offering our customers a great overall value. Lastly, we are experts in designing custom itineraries, for groups of friends, couples, families or colleagues. If you are ready to make your dream a reality, please drop us a line, and let's get the conversation started! Take a self-guided bike tour if want to: Choose your own dates (see specific tours for details). Add on extra itinerary options and customize your experience (see specific tours for optional add ins). Leave when you wish each morning and enjoy detours and side trips along the way. Are excited about the idea of cycling on your own and without a support vehicle every day. Take a guided bike tour if you prefer to: Join a local guide who will share insights into each destination. Pedal with a small group each day as you explore new towns and taste local specialties. Want a support vehicle (just in case!)Read more
8 Cycle Europe Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Value for money
- 5 / 5
- JJohnCorsoTaste of Italy - Self-guided Bike Tour Of Emilia Romagna5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 18, 2019We have been on two self guided trips with Cycle Europe and are planning our third. This latest was through Tuscany and as usual we were delighted with the pla…Read more
- DDavidRushTaste of Italy - Self-guided Bike Tour Of Emilia Romagna5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 9, 2019Great service Started with a very helpful briefing We really appreciated the tour which you specifically tailored for our requirements
- KKarenConnollyBicycle Romagna: The Heartland of Italy's Homemade Pasta - Self Guided5.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 4, 2019The entire trip was first class from the bikes and their fitting to the GPS and maps with explanations with things to do and see in the area. The route was gor…Read moreCycle Europe commented on this reviewDear Karen We thank you for your review of our Bicycle Romagna bike tour. This information is very useful to future travelers considering a bike tour in Italy. We look forward to seeing you again in the future! Javier and the Cycle Europe team
- ABicycle Across Italy from Venice to Pisa - Self Guided5.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 11, 2018We cannot wait to come to Italy again. We are in love with the country. We received very professional service, in all aspects. The team helped me plan the perfe…Read more
- PeterClassic Tuscany - Self Guided2.5 - AverageWritten on September 10, 2018Heads up. CycleEurope is owned by Americans. We were hoping for a locally-owned guide company (like we've used in Spain and France). Overall, this company is …Read moreCycle Europe commented on this reviewDear Peter This is Javier writing from the Cycle Europe office in Italy. I thank you for your feedback and I am happy to reply to your comments; We are very sorry that you did not have the stellar experience we aim for with all of our clients. As this is the first negative review we receive (all reviews so far have been 5- and 4-star), we value your detailed feedback. I will soon be emailing you our post-tour evaluation form (which we send to all our customers), and I hope we can get more detail from you there (for example, regarding the hotels). For now I will try to address the issues you point out, both to answer your specific concerns, and because this information is crucial to anyone considering a self-guided tour with us in the future. We are an Italian company, headquartered in Emilia-Romagna and with an office an Tuscany. We have deep Italian roots - two of the company owners are Italian-American and one is Italian, and two of them work (and live with their family) in Italy full-time. The founders started running bike tours in Italy in 1972, and although we have grown since, we are still a small, family-owned company, the vast majority of our staff is Italian and we are very happy (and proud) to help people from around the world experience Italy by bike. For more details on this, please check our website (www.cycleeurope.com/about-us/) Regarding our style of bike tours, we have served thousands of bike travelers, and cater to most types of cyclists - from beginners on their first bike tour to serious sport cyclists. Our tours, our service and our bikes aim to provide our customers the best possible experience, whatever their cycling taste and travel expectations may be. We also provide various types of pre-tour information (including a very detailed fact sheet in our website), that communicates most important aspects of our tours (route distances, topography and other detailed info; accommodations and itinerary; technical bike info; etc) - hoping our customers come on tour with the right expectations, and have an amazing overall experience. Regarding the bike we provided you, we are sorry that you had such a negative experience. We assign bikes to each individual based on the height and stand-over height, and any other sizing info provided to us in the customer reservation form. After so many years of running bike tours, we have developed a sizing formula that rarely fails (as long as we have the proper height info when assigning the bike). The bike is then individually fitted by our staff prior to the tour start. It is my understanding that during your fitting, our staff (Giovanni, who is also a bike mechanic) was under the impression that he made the adjustments that you requested (to the stem) and you were therefore happy with the sizing. When you emailed us the following day telling us that the bike was not the proper size for you, we responsed as soon as possible by finding another bike from a local rental shop that we often work with (this was the fastest way to provide you with a replacement, as our headquarters are not at the same point as where your tour began). Unfortunately this second bike assigned to you had mechanical problems – but again, we responded as soon as we could to remedy the issue. As humans, we may make mistakes, but we feel the important part is to respond and try to remedy the problem – which we hope to have done here. Finally, please note that our ebikes are among the best offered by any rental shop or tour operator in Italy (and possibly in Europe) – both in the overall quality and reliability of the bike, as well as in the battery range. Regarding the accommodations, we are very sorry you were not pleased. We have had good reviews so far in this very important category, so we hope to get more detailed feedback in your evaluation form, so that we can review each problem in detail. You specifically mention cigarrete smoke – the hotels are supposed to be non-smoking, and we will look at this issue in detail as well. Also, please note that we use 3- and 4-star establishments, that add to the overall travel experience, and we communicate the hotel name, website and details in our pre-travel literature, hoping that our customers have the right expectations before coming on tour. Finally, we appreciate your comments regarding the route. Again here, w e have had positive reviews so far on the routes chosen. Fortunately, we have staff that is Tuscany-based, making it easier for us to review the routes. I will be in touch soon with our detailed evaluation form and hope to hear back from you when you have the time. Again, we thank you for your business and for having visited our country. Best, Javier and the Cycle Europe team
- JJenniferGurssTaste of Italy - Self-guided Bike Tour Of Emilia Romagna4.5 - ExcellentWritten on May 6, 2018We did a self-guidedtour, biking from Ravenna to Bologna. Everything worked out exceedingly well and we were extremely pleased.Cycle Europe commented on this reviewHi Jennifer - thank your for your review, very happy to know everything went so well for you, and thanks for helping future travelers with this information. Hope to see you again! Regards- The Cycle Europe team in Italy
- CCarlaMyersTaste of Italy - Self-guided Bike Tour Of Emilia Romagna4.5 - ExcellentWritten on April 30, 2018This was our first cycle tour. The gentleman from bike plus (the local tour company) gave us our booklet which contained maps, detailed directions and details o…Read moreCycle Europe commented on this reviewDear Carla, We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your self-guided tour of Emilia Romagna! Thank you for taking the time to send a review - we value your feedback very much. We also thank you for recommending this tour, and we hope to have you back in the future! Regards Javier and the Cycle Europe in Italy
Cycle Europe Tours
About Cycle Europe
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 1000+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 35,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Do you have bicycles and/or accessories for kids?
SELF-GUIDED: Yes, we can normally fit children taller than 4’10’’ (1m47). For smaller kids we offer “Tag-
Alongs” and “Kid’s Trailers”. On GUIDED TOURS, please consult for your specific departure.
Do you provide helmets?
GUIDED or SELF-GUIDED: We require everyone to wear a helmet on tour. We recommend you bring your
own for best fit and comfort (as well as hygiene reasons). If you prefer to not travel with your own helmet, we
can provide a lightly used helmet upon request. Please be sure to provide your helmet size.
Who is responsible for the bikes if they are damaged or stolen?
GUIDED or SELF-GUIDED: You are! You’ll agree to this when you sign our contract when the bikes are delivered to you, so please be careful! That said, we offer plenty of advice and tips on how to properly store and secure your bikes every night. On Guided Tours, our tour leader will store the bikes for you every night.
Do you have any luggage restrictions?
GUIDED or SELF-GUIDED: In our years running cycling tours in Europe, we’ve found that packing light will
help you have a more enjoyable travel experience. Keep in mind that you will be toting your luggage at
different times during your vacation; you may have to go from the airport to the train or bus station; you will
also need to bring your bags down to the hotel lobby in the morning before leaving for the next destination.
Preferably limit your luggage to two medium-sized pieces. The best combination of luggage is a medium-sized
(22 -24”) suitcase on wheels and a small or medium carry-on bag, such as a backpack, overnight bag, or a
small duffel bag. However, to avoid exceeding our luggage weight limit we prefer you add a third small bag as
opposed to overloading the first two. If you have any additional questions about baggage limitations, please
Do I need a Travel Insurance?
GUIDED or SELF-GUIDED: We highly recommend purchasing travel and trip interruption insurance. Please
let us know if we can help with suggestions.
What type of bike should I pick?
GUIDED or SELF-GUIDED: We suggest choosing the type of bike you are most familiar with. On some tours,
you will have the option of renting a road bike with drop-down handlebars, and on others we offer hybrid bikes
with flat handlebars. On most tours, we also offer pedal-assist e-bikes. If you have any questions about our
bike options and what is most fitting
Are there extra payments not included on this tour?
SELF-GUIDED: City taxes are not included, which you will pay upon departing each hotel (usually 1 to 3 euro
per person per night, but the price will vary depending on the location). Bike-hire and other options are also
available at a separate fee – please check the specific itinerary for details.
GUIDED TOURS: Bike-hire options are available for a separate fee (please check the specific tour details).
Also, please check the What’s Included section of each tour webpage for specific inclusions.
Is it possible to make changes on this itinerary?
If you are interested in any changes to your self-guided itinerary, please ask us. We can often add or subtract
nights at different locations (depending on the itinerary).
We are also experts at designing custom-tailored holidays for groups of friends and families. If there’s a
specific itinerary you like, please let us know how to adapt it to your needs. We have also often custom fixed-
point cycling holidays (for example, based in an Italian villa).
When does my tour start and end?
GUIDED and SELF-GUIDED: On most tours, the group will meet the tour leaders late in the afternoon or early
evening of the first tour day. The bike fitting usually occurs at that point, as well as the tour briefing. Tours
normally end after breakfast on the last day. You may want to consult with us on the best time to plan to arrive
on Day 1 and when to leave on the last day.
If I come alone, will I have anyone to cycle with?
SELF-GUIDED: There is a good possibility that others on the same departure will want to cycle along with you,
but of course we cannot guarantee this on every departure. If this is important to you, please ask us and we
will try to find out for your specific departure.
GUIDED: Yes! This is a group tour, so welcome on board! Depending on the itinerary, there will be days where
the group can spread out, giving some participants the chance to cycle on their own or in smaller groups. But
generally, the group will ride together, along with our tour leader.