“Deb and I found Flavio to be so engaging and really made sure all the people got to know each other. He was very sensitive to the different personalities and made every attempt to respect their needs. it wasn't just a great experience...it was the best one...“
Back-Roads Touring Guides
- Enjoy the company of a small group
- Feed your curiosity
- Embrace the view
- Discover the local way of life
- Savour each moment
- Guided by the best
Here at Back-Roads, our passion is delivering small group holidays that delve a little deeper. Travelling by luxury mini-coach along scenic roads, our tours invite you to see each destination through the eyes of the people who know it best: the locals who call it hom...
Here at Back-Roads, our passion is delivering small group holidays that delve a little deeper. Travelling by luxury mini-coach along scenic roads, our tours invite you to see each destination through the eyes of the people who know it best: the locals who call it home. We know that the best kind of adventure is one that introduces you to authentic experiences, never-to-be-forgotten views and hand-picked retreats brimming with local charm – while providing you with the time and space to explore independently. With intimate group sizes and expert Tour Leaders and Drivers, there’s no better way to feed your curiosity than with a Back-Roads tour.Read more
114 Back-Roads Touring Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 5 / 5
- JJanHendrikMoenItalian Indulgence (23 destinations)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 9, 2019Italian Indulgence Tour, Rome to Venice, 6th to 17th October 2019 My husband and I, know Italy quite well, however Flavio was able to deepen our love for his…Read moreBack-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHi Jan, Thank you so much for your kind words and glowing review of Flavio and Augusto - they really do manage to make an amazing experience even better. How wonderful that you enjoyed the villa stay - and with such a small group! Must have felt like you almost had the place to yourselves. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest again soon, Jan. ~ Jackie
- SStephanieTeagueTuscan Treats5.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 3, 20192 years on we're still taking about our Tuscan Tour with Flavio as if it were yesterday. So many great memories it's hard to name a highlight. As a traveller wi…Read moreBack-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHi Stephanie, Feedback is always welcome and we are so happy to hear that even two years on, you took the time to write this beautiful post. We are glad Flavio managed your dietary requirements so seamlessly and absolutely - our Tour Leaders really do make Back-Roads Touring special. We'll pass your kind words on to Flavio. Thank you, again, for taking the time to leave your review. ~ Jackie
- AAndreaBeierTuscan Treats5.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 3, 2019Tuscan Treats in April was amazing! I celebrated my 50th with an amazing group of travellers, enjoyed seeing and tasting the wonderful treats of Tuscany with my…Read moreBack-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHi Andrea, what an incredible way to spend your 50th celebrations! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us so thoroughly - and travelling with your daughter, how lovely for your birthday. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon. Happy holiday planning! ~ Jackie
- KkarenhallTuscan Treats5.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 30, 2019So lucky to have Flavio as our guide on my first trip to Europe. As I was travelling on my own I was quite nervous but Flavio put us all at ease and I felt as i…Read moreBack-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHi Karen, for your first trip to Europe, you were in very safe hands with Flavio. His knowledge of Tuscany and Italy in general is unparalleled! Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. ~ Jackie
- KKathyLeuenbergerItalian Indulgence (23 destinations)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 27, 2019It was a joy to be on tour with someone as passionate and knowledgeable about his country as Flavio. He had a great sense of humor and if you needed anything, …Read moreBack-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHi Kathy, thank you for your kind words about Flavio and your Back-Roads Touring experience. We are glad to hear he catered to your needs so well. ~ Jackie
- JeanetteCorners of Cornwall (including Fowey)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 26, 2019Absolutely fabulous. This holiday fulfilled my dreams of Cornwall. Romantic fishing villages with cobbled streets. Ate freshly shucked oysters. Cottages with E…Read moreBack-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHi Jeanette, thank you for your kind words. Cornwall is magical and you are not alone in your opinion of the area. We are so glad to hear your tour was a feast for the senses. Looking forward to welcoming you back as our guest again soon. Thanks, Jackie
- JanetThe Splendours of Sicily5.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 24, 2019Loved everything about this tour from the places we visited, the accommodation, meals and the transportation. Vincenzo, our guide, was extremely knowledgeable a…Read moreBack-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHi Janet, thank you for your kind words about Vincenzo and Giuseppe - you had a winning Tour Leader/Driver combination there. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the pace of the tour - it gives you time to explore cities, towns, and villages for yourself and really get amongst the culture and identity of the region. Thank you again, Jackie
- AAlexandraReidEnchanting Southern Italy5.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 22, 2019It was a terrific tour with a great group of people. Flavio was extremely generous and considerate, seeing to our every need at all times. I would not hesitat…Read moreBack-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHi Alexandra, We are so glad to hear you so thoroughly enjoyed your Back-Roads experience. Flavio really is an Italy extraordinaire! We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon. Thanks, Jackie
- PPatrickMcCabeItalian Indulgence (23 destinations)5.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 20, 2019Deb and I found Flavio to be so engaging and really made sure all the people got to know each other. He was very sensitive to the different personalities and ma…Read moreBack-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHi there Patrick, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your kind words about Flavio - he really is an incredible Tour Leader! We are so glad to hear you felt everyone was catered to. It really makes the experience memorable when everyone can participate and feel welcomed. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thanks, Jackie
- KKarenThomasItalian Indulgence5.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 20, 2019Flavio is absolutely the best tour guide EVER!!! Efficient, passionate about his country, knowledgeable and has a great sense of humour.Back-Roads Touring commented on this reviewHey Karen - love the enthusiasm! You've definitely matched Flavio with your passion here. Fantastic to hear your kind words about him, we will pass it on directly. Thanks again Karen, Jackie
Back-Roads Touring Tours
About Back-Roads Touring
Back-Roads Touring videos
- Small Group Tours of Europe & the UK
- The Road Less Travelled
- A Scottish Journey
- What Our Guests Say
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Show more...
- Orkneys and Scottish Highlands Tour
- Back-Roads Touring Asia
- TourRadar presents The Sorrento Peninsula
- TourRadar presents Aït Benhaddou
- TourRadar presents The Imperial Cities
- TourRadar presents Chiang Mai
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 2500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 150,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 40,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Back-Roads Touring Story & History
Back-Roads Touring have been running their small group, intimate, and unique trips across the UK and Europe since 1986. In this time, they have grown both in size and experience, but they still possess the same touring philosophy that they did back then, and now include more destinations, higher quality accommodation, and a wider range of interesting experiences.
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
What is not included in the tour price?
Unless otherwise specified in the listed inclusions, airfares are not included in the tour price.
Driver/tour leader gratuity is optional.
Lunches (unless otherwise stated), social drinks, meals on free nights,’ items of a personal nature and entrance fees when not listed in the schedule of inclusions.
Occasional optional evening theatre/festival visits and entrances not detailed in the tour inclusions.
Incidental expenses, such as room service incurred at hotels. All expenses are to be settled prior to leaving the accommodation.
Laundry costs and any shipping charges for the return of purchases made on tour, or for the return of property lost on tour.
Pre and post tour accommodation.
Unless otherwise listed in the inclusions, transfers are not included in the tour price.
What type of clothing is recommended on the tour?
Back Roads suggest packing for variable weather conditions, or if you are travelling through Italy, Spain or Southern France in summer, make sure you pack a hat and sunscreen.
How much luggage is allowed on the tour?
Back Roads travel in mini-coaches and so boot space is limited. Travellers are only entitled to one piece of main luggage of a standard size of no more than 158cm (when the length, width and height is added together) and not weighing more than 20kg. In addition travellers may bring one small carry-on bag per person.
What kinds of tour leader and driver does Back Roads have on the tour?
Their driver/tour leaders have all passed a stringent government test which allows them to drive vehicles and conduct tours. On some tours in mainland Europe (e.g. Italy, Spain, Croatia etc.) they will often use a driver in addition to a tour leader as this makes for better operation of the tour in these particular areas.
How much spending money is recommended on the tour?
Apart from meals and entrance fees within the price of the tour, travellers will need to bring spending money for any other meals, drinks and activities. Back Roads recommends a budget of £70 or 90 Euros per person per day.
Is it possible to do other things like getting my hair done, do laundry, go to church or synagogue while on the tour?
Yes. There is generally sufficient free time to incorporate all such functions, though it is not guaranteed in every country.
Are entrance fees included in the price of the tour?
Back Roads include a selection of entrances fees depending on the tour and these are outlined in the "what's included" section of the tour page.
Can Back Roads cater to travellers with dietary restrictions?
Back Roads will do their best to cater to the dietary needs of the travellers. This should be made clear upon booking, so we can pass on the requests.
What meals are included on the tour?
Breakfast is included daily. Lunches and dinners are also included, either in the hotel or in a local restaurant. Travellers will also have some free evenings to try the local cuisine independently. One thing to remember, dinner times in Europe are likely to be later than the usual: 7.30pm at the earliest and often later in France and Italy.
What are the benefits of travelling in a small group?
With a maximum group size of 18 people on our Europe tours (22 on our French barge tours) and 14 people on our Asia tours, we pride ourselves on ensuring that each guest has a personalised holiday experience. An intimate group allows our expert Tour Leaders to dedicate time to each and every one of their guests. We encourage you to ask questions and share their immense knowledge and passion for the destinations you visit.