Back-Roads Touring Guides
- Small Groups of up to 18
- Leisurely Paced Itineraries
- Authentic Local Experiences
- Scenic Back-Roads, Avoiding Freeways
Back-Roads Touring are the experts when it comes to tailor-made and small group tours. They offer regional tours throughout the UK and Europe, with their own itineraries to show you through these spectacular places. Almost tours have a maximum of 18 people per tour,...
Back-Roads Touring are the experts when it comes to tailor-made and small group tours. They offer regional tours throughout the UK and Europe, with their own itineraries to show you through these spectacular places. Almost tours have a maximum of 18 people per tour, with only one tour which has a maximum of 22 - so you know you will have a far more intimate and relaxed travel experience as you explore these regions. As the name suggests, Back Roads Touring really aims to get you off the highways, and lets you immerse yourself in the region or destination, while steering clear of the well trodden tourist trails and tracks. Back Roads Touring will make sure that you get to see all the majro sights and attractions, while also ensuring that you can experience the lesser known towns, cities and villages. Traveling throughout these places along the back roads, letting you see the stunning scenery and experiencing the cultures as you travel.Read more
45 Back-Roads Touring Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- ATAlisonHistoric Eastern England4.5 - ExcellentWritten on July 19, 2018I loved that the tour was flexible going along the back roads. There were only four of us and that meant we saw more and had more time to explore places.
- MDMarioTuscan Treats4.0 - GoodWritten on June 20, 2018Good pace. Exactly what we where looking for in a tour.
- LCLouiseDiscover Portugal4.5 - ExcellentWritten on June 11, 2018Excellent tour guide and driver. Tiago, I would suggest to add time for a museum of choice in Lisbon.
- GMGrahamSlow Food Tour of Puglia3.5 - GoodWritten on June 10, 2018Tour bus was uncomfortable not enough leg room. Hotels were average except for the last stop at Gallipoli.
- JHJaniferDiscover Portugal5.0 - ExcellentWritten on June 10, 2018Great tour, Dan was an excellent tour guide, wonderful group, lots of fun had by all!
- StephenParis to Nice through Vineyards & Mountains5.0 - ExcellentWritten on June 9, 2018An amazing trip. Charlie, our guide was sensational. Everyone should do this tour !
Back-Roads Touring Tours
About Back-Roads Touring
Back-Roads Touring videos
- Small Group Tours of Europe & the UK
- The Road Less Travelled
- A Scottish Journey
- What Our Guests Say
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Show more...
- Orkneys and Scottish Highlands Tour
- Back-Roads Touring Asia
Why Back Roads Touring
Small Groups, Authentic Experiences
Over 25 Years Experince
Back Roads Touring Benefits
Appreciate Your Surroundings
Back-Roads Touring Guides
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 600+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Back-Roads Touring Photos
Popular for Back-Roads Touring
Back Roads Touring Story & History
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
What is not included in the tour price?
Unless otherwise specified in the listed inclusions, airfares are not included in the tour price.
Driver/tour leader gratuity is optional.
Lunches (unless otherwise stated), social drinks, meals on free nights,’ items of a personal nature and entrance fees when not listed in the schedule of inclusions.
Occasional optional evening theatre/festival visits and entrances not detailed in the tour inclusions.
Incidental expenses, such as room service incurred at hotels. All expenses are to be settled prior to leaving the accommodation.
Laundry costs and any shipping charges for the return of purchases made on tour, or for the return of property lost on tour.
Pre and post tour accommodation.
Unless otherwise listed in the inclusions, transfers are not included in the tour price.
What type of clothing is recommended on the tour?
Back Roads suggest packing for variable weather conditions, or if you are travelling through Italy, Spain or Southern France in summer, make sure you pack a hat and sunscreen.
How much luggage is allowed on the tour?
Back Roads travel in mini-coaches and so boot space is limited. Travellers are only entitled to one piece of main luggage of a standard size of no more than 158cm (when the length, width and height is added together) and not weighing more than 20kg. In addition travellers may bring one small carry-on bag per person.
What kinds of tour leader and driver does Back Roads have on the tour?
Their driver/tour leaders have all passed a stringent government test which allows them to drive vehicles and conduct tours. On some tours in mainland Europe (e.g. Italy, Spain, Croatia etc.) they will often use a driver in addition to a tour leader as this makes for better operation of the tour in these particular areas.
How much spending money is recommended on the tour?
Apart from meals and entrance fees within the price of the tour, travellers will need to bring spending money for any other meals, drinks and activities. Back Roads recommends a budget of £70 or 90 Euros per person per day.
Is it possible to do other things like getting my hair done, do laundry, go to church or synagogue while on the tour?
Yes. There is generally sufficient free time to incorporate all such functions, though it is not guaranteed in every country.
Are entrance fees included in the price of the tour?
Back Roads include a selection of entrances fees depending on the tour and these are outlined in the "what's included" section of the tour page.
Can Back Roads cater to travellers with dietary restrictions?
Back Roads will do their best to cater to the dietary needs of the travellers. This should be made clear upon booking, so we can pass on the requests.
What meals are included on the tour?
Breakfast is included daily. Lunches and dinners are also included, either in the hotel or in a local restaurant. Travellers will also have some free evenings to try the local cuisine independently. One thing to remember, dinner times in Europe are likely to be later than the usual: 7.30pm at the earliest and often later in France and Italy.
What are the benefits of travelling in a small group?
With a maximum group size of 18 people on our Europe tours (22 on our French barge tours) and 14 people on our Asia tours, we pride ourselves on ensuring that each guest has a personalised holiday experience. An intimate group allows our expert Tour Leaders to dedicate time to each and every one of their guests. We encourage you to ask questions and share their immense knowledge and passion for the destinations you visit.