“We didnt have low water issues. We loved the Danube cruise. Did alot on our own and saved 1000s. Avalon exceeded expectations. Only peculiar events were when docked aside other river boats. No big deal as we only spent nights on board. Views were inc...“
- Introducing an entirely new concept in river cruising
- Offering expansive views and wider perspectives
- Enjoy the luxury of choice at every turn
- Experienced team and expert attentive staff
If you want to see the world, cruise down its legendary rivers. If you want to see more of the world, look no further than Avalon Waterways. Our Suite Ships® feature one-of-a-kind Panorama SuitesSM, with the widest opening windows in river cruising, the industry’s on...
If you want to see the world, cruise down its legendary rivers. If you want to see more of the world, look no further than Avalon Waterways. Our Suite Ships® feature one-of-a-kind Panorama SuitesSM, with the widest opening windows in river cruising, the industry’s only Open-Air BalconySM, and beds facing the incredible views. Beyond our wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling windows is a world waiting to be explored—your way. Whether you want to enjoy a guided walking tour of one of Europe's great cities, join a cooking class or paddle a canoe, our Avalon Choice® selections of Classic, Discovery and Active excursions offer a wide range of possibilities. When you prefer to explore on your own, we can help you with all the recommendations, information and gear you need with our new Adventure Center and AvalonGO Mobile App. And when it's time to refuel, your dining options on board are as wide open as your views, with our new FlexDining® choices.Read more
156 Avalon Waterways Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 5 / 5
- Value for money
- 5 / 5
- 5 / 5
- SarahDanube Dreams – Eastbound5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 24, 2019We enjoyed our vacation and would recommend to others
- MRMarinaRomantic Rhine – Southbound5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 20, 2019The excursions we chose were great. The weather in the beginning of April was a little chilly, but we had very little rain.
- JMJanettaFascinating Vietnam, Cambodia & the Mekong River with Bangkok – Southbound5.0 - ExcellentWritten on March 30, 2019A wonderful fascinating trip. Fellow travellers great. Cruise director excellent. Horrified by the plastic rubbish in Cambodia. Would reccommend it.
- DSDaleMekong Discovery – Cruise Only Southbound5.0 - ExcellentWritten on February 1, 2019Fantastic! we enjoyed it a lit. thank you!
- VGVictoriaFascinating Vietnam, Cambodia & the Mekong River with Hanoi, Ha Long Bay & Bangkok – Southbound5.0 - ExcellentWritten on December 1, 2018Amazing experience with flawless service. Our guides in Vietnam and Cambodia were so informative and open with their knowledge and history. The staff on the Sai…Read more
Avalon Waterways Tours
About Avalon Waterways
Avalon Waterways videos
- Main Page Video
- Avalon Fresh
- Avalon Waterways Suite Ships River Cruising
- Yangtze River Cruise Holidays
- Avalon Waterways Mekong Cruise & Land Experience
- Show more...
- The Avalon Irrawaddy Experience
- Dining on an Avalon Waterways River Cruise
- The Sky Deck on an Avalon Waterways River Cruise
- Excursions You Can Do While on an Avalon Waterways River Cruise
- Behind the Scenes on an Avalon Waterways River Cruise
- Palace of the Popes with Avalon Waterways River Cruises
- Culinary Cruises with Avalon Waterways
- Arles with Avalon Waterways River Cruises
- Tournus with Avalon Waterways River Cruises
- Seine River Cruise Vacations
- Active Discovery Avalon
- Avalon See Do
- Avalon Active Discovery
- TourRadar presents Ganga Aarti at Varanasi
Avalon Waterways Ships
- Avalon AffinityCruise the unique rivers of Europe while visiting historic places aboard the magnificent 361 feet Avalon Affinity, an exciting and intima… Read moreBuilt2009Crew39Length361 ft.Suites4Staterooms65
- Avalon Artistry IICruise on Europe's most loved rivers with views that become part of your suite. The Avalon Artistry II delivers an intimate setting,… Read moreBuilt2013Guests65 - 130Crew37Length110 m / 361 ftWidth12Suites52Gross Tonnage2022 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon ExpressionPart of Avalon's cutting-edge fleet of Suite Ships®, the Avalon Expression came onto the European river cruising scene with a ban… Read moreBuilt2013Guests84 - 166Crew47Length135 m / 443 ftSuites67Staterooms16Gross Tonnage2775 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon FelicityExperience Europe through its waterways aboard Avalon’s well-known and beloved cruise ship, the Avalon Felicity. Designed to create… Read moreBuilt2010Guests65 - 138Crew39Length110 m / 361 ftSuites4Staterooms65Gross Tonnage2022 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon IlluminationPart of Avalon's cutting-edge fleet of Suite Ships®, the Avalon Illumination came onto the river cruising scene with a bang. This… Read moreBuilt2014Guests84 - 166Crew47Length135 m / 443 ftSuites67Staterooms16Gross Tonnage2775 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon Imagery IIOne of 2016's two new additions to the youngest fleet on Europe's waterways, the Imagery II continues all of Avalon's outstan… Read moreBuilt2016Guests65 - 130Crew37Length110 m / 361 ftSuites52Staterooms12Gross Tonnage2022 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon ImpressionPart of Avalon's cutting-edge fleet of Suite Ships®, the Avalon Impression came onto the river cruising scene with a bang. This g… Read moreBuilt2014Guests84 - 166Crew47Length135 m / 443 ftSuites67Staterooms16Gross Tonnage2775 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon LuminaryExperience the rich cultural tapestry of Europe’s historic riverside cities with a cruise aboard the Avalon Luminary. This 2010 vess… Read moreBuilt2010Guests65 - 138Crew39Length110 m / 361 ftSuites4Staterooms65Gross Tonnage2022 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon MyanmarOne of our remarkable Suite Ships®, the all-suite Avalon Myanmar offers an unrivaled small-ship river cruise experience ensuring you… Read moreBuilt2015Guests18 - 36Crew24Length61 m / 200 ftSuites18Gross Tonnage950 gtCruising Speed9 kn / 17 kph / 10 mph
- Avalon PanoramaA unique Suite Ship®, the Avalon Panorama features unmatched cabin views as the first of its kind in the industry with two full decks… Read moreBuilt2011Guests84 - 166Crew47Length135 m / 443 ftSuites66Staterooms17Gross Tonnage2775 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon PassionOffering splendid river views, the Avalon Passion offers an exciting array of state-of-the-art amenities. Each Panorama Suite is fitted w… Read moreBuilt2016Guests84 - 166Crew47Length135 m / 443 ftSuites67Staterooms16Gross Tonnage2775 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon Poetry IIAvalon Poetry II is a classic beauty that has been sailing on the European rivers since 2014. The Poetry II offers 2 full levels of suite… Read moreBuilt2014Crew37Length361 ft.Suites52Staterooms12
- Avalon Siem ReapSailing on the Mekong River, the Avalon Siem Reap is an incredibly beautiful all-suite ship built in 2015 with premium interiors. The shi… Read moreBuilt2015Crew24Length195Suites18
- Avalon Tapestry IIThe Avalon Tapestry II is a true haven on the river - two full decks of Panorama SuitesSM with Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows that transf… Read moreBuilt2015Guests65 - 130Crew37Length110 m / 361 ftSuites52Staterooms12Gross Tonnage2022 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon Tranquillity IIAnother exciting Suite Ship® graces the rivers of Europe in 2015. The intimate setting of the Avalon Tranquility II features two full… Read moreBuilt2015Guests65 - 130Crew37Length110 m / 361 ftSuites52Staterooms12Gross Tonnage2022 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Avalon VisionaryTake in the view like never before on the Avalon Visionary. You'll enjoy the intimate setting achieved with two full decks of suites… Read moreBuilt2012Guests65 - 130Crew37Length110 m / 361 ftSuites52Staterooms12Gross Tonnage2022 gtBeam12 m / 39 ft
- Avalon VistaExperience European river views unlike any other ship can offer. The Avalon Vista's two full decks of suites feature Wall-to-Wall Pan… Read moreBuilt2012Guests84 - 166Crew47Length135 m / 443 ftSuites66Staterooms17Gross Tonnage2775 gtBeam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Treasure of GalapagosSeeing the Galápagos Islands on board the 9-suite Treasure of Galápagos goes beyond traditional cruising and allows you a t… Read moreBuilt2009Guests18Crew10Length31 m / 102 ftSuites1Staterooms8Gross Tonnage342 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Delfin IIIThe 169-foot-long, Delfin III has been tailor made to suit its environment, while maintaining its integrity as a true luxury river cruise… Read moreBuilt2015 (refurbished: 2017)Guests44Crew29Length51.5 m / 169 ftSuites22Beam12 m / 39 ftCruising Speed10 kn / 19 kph / 12 mphDraft5ft / 1.5m
- SaigonThe all-suite Avalon SaigonSM, our newest Suite Ship® in Asia, was specifically designed to offer the best cruise experience on the M… Read moreBuilt2018Guests18 - 36Crew24Length60 m / 197 ftStaterooms18Gross Tonnage950 gtCruising Speed9 kn / 17 kph / 10 mph
- EnvisionThe Avalon Envision is the newest addition to the 2019 Avalon Suite Ship fleet. With the youngest fleet of ships on Europe's waterway… Read moreBuilt2018Guests83-166Crew47Length135 m / 443 ftSuites67Staterooms16Gross Tonnage2775 gtBeam12 m / 39 ft
- Ganges VoyagerThe pioneering Ganges Voyager carries just 56 guests and offers a warm and relaxed experience. The ship takes you back in time with the g… Read moreBuilt2015Guests56Crew35Length56 m / 185 ftSuites5Staterooms23Beam12 m / 41 ft
- Best River Cruise Line, Cruise Critic Awards2010
- Top 10 River Cruises, Travel + Leisure World's Best Awards2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007
- Best Value in River Cruising, Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel2009
- Top River Cruise Line, Conde Nast Traveler Reader's Choice Awards2014, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- Silver - Overall River Cruise Ship, Travel Weekly Magellan Awards2011, 2009, 2008
- Silver - Overall River Cruising, Travel Weekly Magellan Awards2011, 2009
- Best New River Cruise Ship, Travel Age West Wave Awards2011, 2009
- Best River Cruise Ship, Travel Weekly Magazine Reader Choice Awards2011, 2010
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 1000+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 35,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
What is the difference between a Classic Avalon cruise and an Active Discovery cruise?
In 2019, every Avalon cruise will now offer three different types of included excursions:
- Classic excursions – for clients that want to enjoy the iconic, “must see” sites (as an example, a canal cruise in Amsterdam)
- Discovery excursions – for clients that may have already seen the “must see” sites or that may want to do something more experiential, like do a wine tasting or take a cooking classes (back to Amsterdam, maybe these clients would prefer to take a painting class instead of that canal cruise)
- Active excursions – for clients that like to stay in motion - jogging, paddling or biking while onshore (sticking with the Amsterdam example, these clients may want to take a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, with stops along the way for commentary)
So, whether you are on a Classic Avalon cruises OR an Active Discovery cruise, you will have your choice of all 3 types of excursions.
On a Classic Avalon cruise, the mix of excursions is 80% Classic, and 20% Active and Discovery. On an Active Discovery cruise, the mix of included excursions is 20% Classic and 80% Active and Discovery.
What beverages are included?
Avalon included wine, beer and non-alcoholic alternatives with all onboard dinners. At lunch soft drink is included and in Europe complimentary regional wine and beer are also available. At all other times, alcoholic beverages are available for an additional charge. In Europe and the Mekong and Irrawaddy, regular coffee, tea and iced tea are available free of charge throughout the day from the self service coffee stations. On the Mekong, Irrawaddy and Amazon cruises, local beer, spirits and soft drinks are included. On the Yangtze and Galapagos coffee, tea and soft drinks are included at lunch and dinner.
Are staterooms air-conditioned?
All staterooms on the ship are air-conditioned and heated for your own comfort.
What is the electricity power in the staterooms?
Electricity on board the Avalon Waterways ships is 220v which requires a European Adaptor. You will need an adaptor or converter to use in your stateroom.
How do we make purchases on the cruise?
Avalon operates a cashless system on the ships so all purchases and shipboard services are credited to your account. At the end of the cruise, you will receive your account which can be paid with cash or credit cards.
Are laundry facilities available?
A laundry service is available on board for an additional fee with the price list being available in your stateroom. Please note that clothes cannot be dry cleaned onboard, however, an ironing service is available.
Unfortunately, laundry facilities are not available on the Galapagos cruise.
Is smoking allowed on the ship?
In Europe and in the Galapagos, all ships have non-smoking interiors. with smoking only permitted on the Sky Deck. On the Avalon Siem Reap, Avalon Myanmar, Century Legend and the Amazon Discovery, smoking is permitted in designated areas only.
Is there a safe in the cabin?
Although Avalon recommended that you leave valuables at home, all staterooms are equipped with a safe and any items that exceed the size of the safe can be checked into the ship's reception desk.
Is there a dress code?
Dress aboard and onshore is casual and Avalon recommend bringing comfortable walking shoes for sightseeing. Dinner attire is casual—open-neck shirts, pants, dresses (Coats and ties may be worn if you wish). The Captain's Welcome and Farewell Dinners are dressy, but not formal. On the Mekong and Irrawaddy coats and ties are not recommended due to the warm humid climate.
How much luggage can I bring?
Porterage for one suitcase on tour is included in the cruise cost. However please note that due to limited coach capacity and keeping within the guidelines of Occupation Health and safety, Avalon strongly recommends that this single bag should have dimensions not exceeding 76x53x28cm (30"x 21"x 11") and weight not exceeding 22 kg (50 lbs). Avalon do understand that slight variations to these dimensions will occur and provided the variations are only slight, luggage will be accepted on the coach.
Due to limited space on luggage racks in the coach, carry-on bags should not exceed the dimensions of 30x28x14cm (12"x11"x6"). For safety reasons, wheeled carry-on bags are not suitable as hand luggage on motorcoaches and minibuses as these bags can cause damage to persons and property if it falls from the overhead compartments for any reason. A carry-on bag and a handbag will be suitable inside the coach.