“Our Blue Danube tour with Avalon was an experience of a lifetime. Although water levels were low and this required some tweaking to the itinerary, they managed it very well without detracting from the experience. Accommodation on the Avalon ship was of a v...“
- Introducing an entirely new concept in river cruising
- Offering expansive views and wider perspectives
- Enjoy the luxury of choice at every turn
- Experienced team and expert attentive staff
Introducing Avalon ChoiceSM Cruising, Customized to You. Designed with the only opinion that matters: yours. Introducing an entirely new concept in river cruising. We didn't just design our cruises with you in mind. We developed them for you to design. At every turn...
Introducing Avalon ChoiceSM Cruising, Customized to You. Designed with the only opinion that matters: yours. Introducing an entirely new concept in river cruising. We didn't just design our cruises with you in mind. We developed them for you to design. At every turn, you'll enjoy the luxury of choice — something you'll only find with Avalon ChoiceSM cruising. From deciding what and where you eat. To selecting your room configuration and cruising style. From choosing your on-land discoveries and onboard enrichments, to making online, pre-sail customizations via MyAvalonSM. Every experience and every nuance — is yours. Avalon dining has always freed taste buds from the ordinary. And now — it frees you from restrictions. At every meal, you'll have the ability to choose from a multitude of dining experiences. All feature the highest-quality local ingredients, hand crafted by true culinary artisans. And all are included at no extra cost. Choose from multiple venues — from the casual Panorama Bistro on our Suite Ships to our open-air Sky Bistro. From our elegant Main Dining Room to continental breakfast delivered to your own room. From a lighter nighttime fare to Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee and sweet treats. Choose to dine à la carte — selecting from a variety of options for each course. We always accommodate guests with dietary preferences. Choose from our exclusive culinary events — from a five-course welcome dinner, to special chef "tastings". Choose to experience the local culture — through delectable regional fare, or select gourmet options prepared for the Western palate. We've done our due diligence pre-selecting Certified Local Guides who truly are the best in the world. But what you see and the pace in which you see it, is completely up to you. And the best part? Unlike other cruise operators, our preplanned discoveries are included at no extra charge to you. We even provide Nordic walking sticks for active guests looking for an extra spring in their step. Excursion Type – Do you prefer a traditional guided tour or an alternative option? Would you enjoy a more in-depth view? Or one geared toward a special interest? With Avalon, the choice is yours. Sightseeing Pace – Are you up for exploring a wide variety of sights or do you prefer a more relaxed pace? Would you rather just focus on the essentials? Or see it all on your own? All are available with Avalon. Create Your Own – How about working with our Guest Services experts to design a customized sightseeing adventure planned perfectly for you? Avalon makes it easy. We definitely didn't design our onboard entertainment for the indecisive. Day and night you'll be provided with a plethora of ways to have fun and be enlightened. Take in a performance by local musicians. Play a game in the lounge. Enjoy a behind-the scenes ship tour. Relax on the Sky Deck. Get acquainted with your destinations through Culture & Cruise events. Be pampered in our hair salon. Unwind with a movie. Or try out one of our many new venues for dining or lounging. With Culture & CruiseSM we're bringing onshore culture – onboard to you. You can choose to take part in special experiences that enrich your trip with local chefs, musicians, artisans and experts. Select Your Ship – New. Newer. Or Newest. Avalon continues to be the youngest fleet on the rivers of Europe. In 2013 we're thrilled to introduce two new Panorama Suite Ships — The Avalon ExpressionSM and the Avalon Artistry II® — setting the new standard for river cruising. For our travelers, this means enjoying a ship experience designed with a forward-thinking approach, including all the modern touches, no matter which ship you choose: Our entire fleet is designed in contemporary elegance, with the largest staterooms on the European waterways. Our ships feature the industry's biggest views – thanks to panoramic windows in our common areas and huge, floor-to-ceiling windows in nearly all of our staterooms. You're always treated to luxurious amenities, like premium bedding, Comfort Collection BedsSM and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout. A World of Possibilities – Cruises & Itineraries With Avalon, you can choose from 4 continents. From more than 100 packages. From trips lasting 3 nights to 24 days. From cruise-only getaways to cruise-plus-land journeys. And from 5 amazing brand-new itineraries in 2013 – 4 in Europe and 1 in China.Read more
147 Avalon Waterways Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 5 / 5
- 5 / 5
- 5 / 5
- Value for money
- 5 / 5
- 5 / 5
- EHEugeneThe Blue Danube Discovery - Cruise Only3.5 - GoodWritten on November 6, 2018The tour checked off what it needed to do, but fall short of expectations on delivering a high end experience.
- JHJerryRomantic Rhine – Northbound 20185.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 29, 2018It was simply amazing!
- GerryFascinating Vietnam, Cambodia & the Mekong River with Hanoi, Ha Long Bay & Bangkok – Northbound 20185.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 25, 2018Very awesome all the way
Avalon Waterways Tours
About Avalon Waterways
Avalon Waterways videos
- Main Page Video
- Avalon Fresh
- Avalon Waterways Suite Ships River Cruising
- Yangtze River Cruise Holidays
- Avalon Waterways Mekong Cruise & Land Experience
- Show more...
- The Avalon Irrawaddy Experience
- Dining on an Avalon Waterways River Cruise
- The Sky Deck on an Avalon Waterways River Cruise
- Excursions You Can Do While on an Avalon Waterways River Cruise
- Behind the Scenes on an Avalon Waterways River Cruise
- Palace of the Popes with Avalon Waterways River Cruises
- Culinary Cruises with Avalon Waterways
- Arles with Avalon Waterways River Cruises
- Tournus with Avalon Waterways River Cruises
- Seine River Cruise Vacations
- Active Discovery Avalon
- Avalon See Do
Avalon Waterways Ships
- Avalon AffinityCruise the unique rivers of Europe while visiting historic places aboard the magnificent 361 feet Avalon Affinity, an exciting and intima… Read moreBuilt2009Crew39Length361 ft.Suites4Staterooms65
- Avalon Artistry IIThe year 2013 saw the addition of another luxury suite ship to the impressive Avalon fleet. The Avalon Artistry II is aptly named for its… Read moreBuilt2013Crew37Length361 ft.Width12Suites52
- Avalon ExpressionHave you dreamt of going on a river cruise on a luxury ship fitted out with all the luxuries and amenities imaginable? Did your dreams in… Read moreBuilt2013Crew47Length443 ft.Suites67Staterooms16
- Avalon FelicityExperience Europe through its waterways aboard Avalon’s well-known and beloved cruise ship, the Avalon Felicity. Designed to create… Read moreBuilt2010Crew39Length361 ft.Suites4Staterooms65
- Avalon IlluminationThe Avalon Illumination is one of the jewels among the Suite Ships of the state-of-the-art Avalon fleet. The exquisitely beautiful Panora… Read moreBuilt2014Crew47Length443 ft.Suites67Staterooms16
- Avalon ImpressionTo experience river cruising at its best is to book a trip on the Avalon Impression – one of the many delightful Suite Ships in the… Read moreBuilt2014Crew47Length443 ft.Suites67Staterooms16
- Avalon LuminaryExperience the rich cultural tapestry of Europe’s historic riverside cities with a cruise aboard the Avalon Luminary. This 2010 ves… Read moreBuilt2010Built2010Crew39Crew39Length361 ft.Length361 ft.Suites4Suites4Staterooms65Staterooms65
- Avalon MyanmarThere’s no better way to enjoy the magnificent Irrawaddy River than with the all new Avalon Myanmar, a luxurious, state-of-the-art… Read moreBuilt2015Crew24Length200Suites18
- Avalon PanoramaThe river cruising industry’s transformation into an ultra luxury holiday experience happened sometime in the year 2011 when Avalon… Read moreBuilt2011Crew47Length443 ft.Suites66Staterooms17
- Avalon PassionOffering splendid river views, the Avalon Passion offers an exciting array of state-of-the-art amenities. Each Panorama Suite is fitted w… Read moreBuilt2016Crew47Length443 ft.Suites67Staterooms16
- Avalon Poetry IIAvalon Poetry II is a classic beauty that has been sailing on the European rivers since 2014. The Poetry II offers 2 full levels of suite… Read moreBuilt2014Crew37Length361 ft.Suites52Staterooms12
- Avalon Siem ReapSailing on the Mekong River, the Avalon Siem Reap is an incredibly beautiful all-suite ship built in 2015 with premium interiors. The shi… Read moreBuilt2015Crew24Length195Suites18
- Avalon Tapestry IIAvalon Tapestry II is another spectacular addition to the Avalon suite ship fleet. A luxury haven sailing on the rivers of Europe, the pa… Read moreBuilt2015Crew37Length361 ft.Suites52Staterooms12
- Avalon Tranquillity IIShowcasing an intimate setting with ultra-modern amenities, the Avalon Tranquillity II is another remarkable addition to the Suite Ship&r… Read moreBuilt2015Crew37Suites52Staterooms12
- Avalon VisionaryThe Avalon Visionary is a state-of-the-art suite ship that offers an enchanting experience of Europe’s fabled rivers. Stylish comfo… Read moreBuilt2012Crew37Length361 ft.Suites52Staterooms12
- Avalon VistaAvalon Waterways, Europe’s youngest fleet is being continuously updated with the latest and the best suite ships. Avalon Vista was… Read moreBuilt2012Crew47Length443 ft.Suites66Staterooms17
- EnvisionThe Avalon Envision is the newest addition to the 2019 Avalon Suite Ship fleet. With the youngest fleet of ships on Europe's waterway… Read moreBuilt2018Crew47Length443Suites67Staterooms16
- Best River Cruise Line, Cruise Critic Awards2010
- Top 10 River Cruises, Travel + Leisure World's Best Awards2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007
- Best Value in River Cruising, Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel2009
- Top River Cruise Line, Conde Nast Traveler Reader's Choice Awards2014, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- Silver - Overall River Cruise Ship, Travel Weekly Magellan Awards2011, 2009, 2008
- Silver - Overall River Cruising, Travel Weekly Magellan Awards2011, 2009
- Best New River Cruise Ship, Travel Age West Wave Awards2011, 2009
- Best River Cruise Ship, Travel Weekly Magazine Reader Choice Awards2011, 2010
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 1000+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
What is the difference between a Classic Avalon cruise and an Active Discovery cruise?
In 2019, every Avalon cruise will now offer three different types of included excursions:
- Classic excursions – for clients that want to enjoy the iconic, “must see” sites (as an example, a canal cruise in Amsterdam)
- Discovery excursions – for clients that may have already seen the “must see” sites or that may want to do something more experiential, like do a wine tasting or take a cooking classes (back to Amsterdam, maybe these clients would prefer to take a painting class instead of that canal cruise)
- Active excursions – for clients that like to stay in motion - jogging, paddling or biking while onshore (sticking with the Amsterdam example, these clients may want to take a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, with stops along the way for commentary)
So, whether you are on a Classic Avalon cruises OR an Active Discovery cruise, you will have your choice of all 3 types of excursions.
On a Classic Avalon cruise, the mix of excursions is 80% Classic, and 20% Active and Discovery. On an Active Discovery cruise, the mix of included excursions is 20% Classic and 80% Active and Discovery.
What beverages are included?
Avalon included wine, beer and non-alcoholic alternatives with all onboard dinners. At lunch soft drink is included and in Europe complimentary regional wine and beer are also available. At all other times, alcoholic beverages are available for an additional charge. In Europe and the Mekong and Irrawaddy, regular coffee, tea and iced tea are available free of charge throughout the day from the self service coffee stations. On the Mekong, Irrawaddy and Amazon cruises, local beer, spirits and soft drinks are included. On the Yangtze and Galapagos coffee, tea and soft drinks are included at lunch and dinner.
Are staterooms air-conditioned?
All staterooms on the ship are air-conditioned and heated for your own comfort.
What is the electricity power in the staterooms?
Electricity on board the Avalon Waterways ships is 220v which requires a European Adaptor. You will need an adaptor or converter to use in your stateroom.
How do we make purchases on the cruise?
Avalon operates a cashless system on the ships so all purchases and shipboard services are credited to your account. At the end of the cruise, you will receive your account which can be paid with cash or credit cards.
Are laundry facilities available?
A laundry service is available on board for an additional fee with the price list being available in your stateroom. Please note that clothes cannot be dry cleaned onboard, however, an ironing service is available.
Unfortunately, laundry facilities are not available on the Galapagos cruise.
Is smoking allowed on the ship?
In Europe and in the Galapagos, all ships have non-smoking interiors. with smoking only permitted on the Sky Deck. On the Avalon Siem Reap, Avalon Myanmar, Century Legend and the Amazon Discovery, smoking is permitted in designated areas only.
Is there a safe in the cabin?
Although Avalon recommended that you leave valuables at home, all staterooms are equipped with a safe and any items that exceed the size of the safe can be checked into the ship's reception desk.
Is there a dress code?
Dress aboard and onshore is casual and Avalon recommend bringing comfortable walking shoes for sightseeing. Dinner attire is casual—open-neck shirts, pants, dresses (Coats and ties may be worn if you wish). The Captain's Welcome and Farewell Dinners are dressy, but not formal. On the Mekong and Irrawaddy coats and ties are not recommended due to the warm humid climate.
How much luggage can I bring?
Porterage for one suitcase on tour is included in the cruise cost. However please note that due to limited coach capacity and keeping within the guidelines of Occupation Health and safety, Avalon strongly recommends that this single bag should have dimensions not exceeding 76x53x28cm (30"x 21"x 11") and weight not exceeding 22 kg (50 lbs). Avalon do understand that slight variations to these dimensions will occur and provided the variations are only slight, luggage will be accepted on the coach.
Due to limited space on luggage racks in the coach, carry-on bags should not exceed the dimensions of 30x28x14cm (12"x11"x6"). For safety reasons, wheeled carry-on bags are not suitable as hand luggage on motorcoaches and minibuses as these bags can cause damage to persons and property if it falls from the overhead compartments for any reason. A carry-on bag and a handbag will be suitable inside the coach.