- More active ways to discover
- A personalized approach to exceeding expectations
- Guests are the top priority
- An award-winning fleet
AmaWaterways operates the finest fleet and provides all-inclusive river cruise vacations on the great waterways of Europe, Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia. With an innovative product and rapidly-growing fleet of custom-designed ships, the line enjoys a reputation as th...
AmaWaterways operates the finest fleet and provides all-inclusive river cruise vacations on the great waterways of Europe, Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia. With an innovative product and rapidly-growing fleet of custom-designed ships, the line enjoys a reputation as the leader in river cruising. AmaWaterways was founded in 2002 by Rudi Schreiner, Kristin Karst and Jimmy Murphy. All Three brought tremendous experience, knowledge and dedication to the venture. Rudi was one of river cruising’s pioneers, having introduced the modern-day river cruise concept to the market. Kristin brought with her vast sales and customer service experience. And Jimmy Murphy is the founder and former owner of Brendan Vacations. Their combined expertise and passion for the river cruise business results in a river cruise vacation experience that will exceed expectations. With more than 20 different itineraries to choose from, the river cruise vacation of a lifetime awaits with AmaWaterways!Read more
2 AmaWaterways Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 5 / 5
- 5 / 5
- 5 / 5
- Value for money
- Main Page Video
- Life on Board
- AmaWaterways Wine Cruise
- Vietnam, Cambodia and the Mekong River
- AmaWaterways Excursion in German
- Show more...
- Europe's Magical Christmas Markets
- AmaWaterways Luxury River Cruises
- AmaWaterways Wine Cruises
- Health & Wellness on the River
- AmaWaterways Magnificent Europe
- Explore on Two Wheels
- The Enchanting Rhine
- Taste of Bordeaux
- Experience Africa with us Aboard the Zambezi Queen
- Fine Dining aboard AmaWaterways
- AmaDolceWhen it debuted in 2009, the remarkable AmaDolce set new standards for European river cruising. The ship has seventy one staterooms and th… Read more
- AmaLeaWith its modern design features, the 443 feet long AmaLea promises to enhance the river cruise industry in Europe when it sets sail in 201… Read more
- AmaKristinaIn 2017, the brand new, exquisitely designed AmaKristina will join her sister ship AmaViola on European rivers. Featuring AmaWaterways&rsq… Read more
- AmaStellaDebuting in 2016, the custom built AmaStella is identical to the AmaSerena and is one of AmaWaterways’ family-friendly river cruise… Read more
- AmaViolaWith fresh design concepts and innovative family friendly features, the 2016 debuting AmaViola is a new entrant in AmaWaterways’ fle… Read more
- AmaSerenaDebuting in 2016, the graceful AmaSerena, sister to AmaPrima, includes several cutting-edge design features aimed to deliver a seamless r… Read more
- AmaSonataLaunched in 2014, the AmaSonata is a beautifully designed, 443 feet long, 164 passenger sister ship to the popular AmaCerto vessel. The un… Read more
- AmaPrimaLaunched in 2013, the 443 feet, 164 passenger AmaPrima is designed to resemble a classic ocean yacht while providing a distinctive river c… Read more
- AmaCertoLaunched in 2012, the 443 feet long AmaCerto is inspired by classic ocean yachts and delivers an outstanding river cruise experience in Eu… Read more
- AmaLyraThe beautiful 360 feet long AmaLyra joined AmaWaterways’ fleet in 2009. Featuring some of the most luxurious accommodations ever fou… Read more
- AmaCelloDebuting in 2008, the 360 feet long AmaCello offers an elegant and immersive river cruise experience. As soon as you step onboard, you wil… Read more
- AmaDanteThe meticulously designed and crafted AmaDante debuted in 2008 and has since been mesmerizing guests while gliding along historic European… Read more
- AmaDaraDebuting in 2015, the 124 passenger AmaDara is designed to bring the finest river cruising experience to Asia. With exotic Asian inspired… Read moreBuilt2015Guests124Crew52Length302ftWidth46ftStaterooms62
- AmaVidaThe 260 feet long, 106 passenger AmaVida was commissioned in 2013 and allows guests to explore historic ports, enchanting wine regions an… Read more
- AmaMagnaAs imagined by AmaWaterways co-owner and president, Rudi Schreiner, the “godfather of river cruising,” the AmaMagna, years in… Read moreBuilt2019Crew70Length443 ft.Width72 ft.Suites53Staterooms98RegistrySwtizerland
- Best For Active CruisersCruise Critic 2017
- Best FoodTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner Best On-Shore ActivitiesTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner Best Onboard ActivitiesTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner - Best OverallTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner Best River Cruise LineAFAR Travelers’ Choice Award 2017
- Best River Cruise LineGlobal Traveler Leisure 2017
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line, Asia2017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line, Europe21017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line, Africa2017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Ship, AmaStella2017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line Overall2017 Travvy Awards
- Best River Cruise Line for Active CruisersCruise Critic 2016
- Best River Cruise Line for FamiliesCruise Critic 2016
- Best River Cruise Line Overall2016 Cruise Critic
- Best River Cruise Line2016 Virtuoso
- Best New Ship, AmaSerenaTravelAge West Award 2016
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 600+ carefully screened operators
- Read 100,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 25,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is it possible to smoke onboard?
Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside any of the AmaWaterways ships. Smoking is only permitted on the Aft of the Sun Deck. For the safety and comfort of all passengers on board, your cooperation in observing the no-smoking policy is greatly appreciated.
I have a dietary restriction can you accommodate that?
At the time of booking please advise your cruise specialist if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies so AmaWaterways can do their best to accommodate your request. Please note, though they can provide options to accommodate food allergies and sensitivities, they cannot guarantee there will not be any cross-contamination.
Do you accept traveller's cheques onboard?
AmaWaterways does not accept traveller's cheques onboard however you can settle your account onboard with a credit card or cash.
Can we reserve a table at the restaurant?
All ships have an open seating policy in the main restaurant to ensure you have the opportunity to meet your fellow travellers. Reservations for the speciality tasting menu at The Chef's Table Restaurant can be made once you are on board the ship.
The Chef's Table Restaurant is available on all AmaWaterways ships in Europe and the Mekong River. It is not available in Portugal or Africa.
What's the dress code?
Comfortable “Country Club Casual” is the recommended attire for daytime, and to pack something a little dressier for the Captain’s night/Farewell Dinner – similar to how one would dress to dine at a 5-star restaurant. Comfortable shoes are recommended for excursions and workout clothing if you plan to take part in any wellness activities, active tours or use the onboard gym. Depending on the time of year, clothing that can be layered is highly recommended.
Vietnam & Cambodia: It is always advisable to travel light in Southeast Asia. For the hot and humid weather, lightweight easy-care clothing that includes some long-sleeved items for protection from mosquitoes and sun, raingear, and comfortable walking shoes that you won’t mind getting wet or muddy. We also recommend you pack a few smart casual items to wear at the Welcome and Farewell dinners.
Africa: When travelling through Africa, it is always advisable to travel light as some itineraries baggage size and weight are strictly limited. On Safari: casual, easy-care clothing that includes some long-sleeved items for protection from mosquitoes and sun. Attire during Winter (April - September): it is wise to bring some warm clothes for chilly early morning and late night temperatures. Dressing in layers is also recommended, as temperatures rise quickly during the day.
Dining in Town: If you plan on dining at a fine restaurant in a city such as Cape Town or Johannesburg, “smart casual” is the norm – no ties for men or evening dresses for women are necessary.
Is there internet available on board?
Europe: High-speed Internet service is available free of charge as part of the in-stateroom "Entertainment-On-Demand." Additionally, AmaWaterways offers complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
Vietnam and Cambodia: Free Internet and Wi-Fi in the lounge with computer stations.
Africa: Due to environmental preservation there is no internet connection aboard the Zambezi Queen.
Are AmaWaterway ships wheelchair accessible?
Europe: Wheelchair accessibility is very limited on the European ships. There is an elevator between the two main decks, however, it does not reach the Sun deck or Piano deck. The passenger would be able to move around the dining room and lounge in their chair, however, the rooms are not able to accommodate a wheelchair, so while in their stateroom they would need to be able to move around on their own. Their chair would also need to be stored in their stateroom, due to limited storage on board. Getting on and off the ship, could pose a challenge as the planks are narrow and cannot accommodate a wheelchair or scooter's width. The passenger would have to be able to get on and off the ship without their wheelchair and the wheelchair would have to be light enough to be lifted off and on the ramps. It is common to tie up to other river ships in port and when this happens we would sometimes need to travel through another ship to disembark, with many ships requiring it to be done via Sun deck, which is stair access only.
During the excursions, a good majority of the cities visited have the cobblestone walkways and this may be a challenge to manoeuvre with a wheelchair. The motor coaches Amawaterways use as a main means of transport will require the passengers to be able to do stairs as there are usually 4 or 5 steep steps to get on and off the coach.
Vietnam, Cambodia & Africa: These itineraries require a person to be able-bodied. There are many unpaved roads and the ships do not have elevators to accommodate the passenger.
What's the minimum age to travel with AmaWaterways?
The AmaWaterways programs in Europe & Southeast Asia, children under the age of 4 years old are not permitted onboard and children 4-7 years old are not recommended due to the limited facilities for them. On their Africa program, due to safety precautions, there is a minimum age limit of 12 years old, unless otherwise agreed upon by AmaWaterways. All guests under the age of 18 are to be in a stateroom with an adult, and must remain supervised at all times, as their safety is the responsibility of the accompanying adult(s). Children between the ages of 4 – 10 at the time of embarkation may share a stateroom with 2 adults provided the child is able to share the bed with the adults – no additional bed will be provided. Select ships offer a limited number of staterooms with a fold out sofa for a triple occupant, we would be happy to guide you through these options when available. A triple occupancy rate will apply for the child sharing the stateroom, pricing can be provided upon request. Please be aware that balcony staterooms of any kind may be unsafe for small children if left unsupervised. AmaWaterways does not provide child-specific programs or child-minding facilities. Please reach out to your cruise specialist if you have any further questions regarding AmaWaterways child policy.
Is there a pool on board?
Europe: All ships are equipped with a whirlpool or heated swimming pool, perfect for a refreshing dip. Saunas are available on select ships.
Africa: The Sun Deck has a small environmentally-friendly pool for your enjoyment.This pool is filled with filtered water from the Chobe River and is drained and refilled each day. No harmful chemicals are ever added to the water in order to protect the wildlife living in and along the river.
Vietnam & Cambodia: There is a refreshing pool located on the Sun Deck.
Please note there is no attendant on duty and use of these facilities is solely at your own risk.
Are audio sets provided for the shore excursions?
During shore excursions in Europe, Vietnam & Cambodia, you will be provided with a sophisticated audio headset system that allows you to comfortably listen to your tour guide while taking photos or admiring some of Europe's hidden gems.