- More active ways to discover
- A personalized approach to exceeding expectations
- Guests are the top priority
- An award-winning fleet
AmaWaterways operates the finest fleet and provides all-inclusive river cruise vacations on the great waterways of Europe, Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia. With an innovative product and rapidly-growing fleet of custom-designed ships, the line enjoys a reputation as th...
AmaWaterways operates the finest fleet and provides all-inclusive river cruise vacations on the great waterways of Europe, Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia. With an innovative product and rapidly-growing fleet of custom-designed ships, the line enjoys a reputation as the leader in river cruising. AmaWaterways was founded in 2002 by Rudi Schreiner, Kristin Karst and Jimmy Murphy. All Three brought tremendous experience, knowledge and dedication to the venture. Rudi was one of river cruising’s pioneers, having introduced the modern-day river cruise concept to the market. Kristin brought with her vast sales and customer service experience. And Jimmy Murphy is the founder and former owner of Brendan Vacations. Their combined expertise and passion for the river cruise business results in a river cruise vacation experience that will exceed expectations. With more than 20 different itineraries to choose from, the river cruise vacation of a lifetime awaits with AmaWaterways!Read more
AmaWaterways ReviewsWrite a review
- Main Page Video
- Life on Board
- AmaWaterways Wine Cruise
- Vietnam, Cambodia and the Mekong River
- AmaWaterways Excursion in German
- Show more...
- Europe's Magical Christmas Markets
- AmaWaterways Luxury River Cruises
- AmaWaterways Wine Cruises
- Health & Wellness on the River
- AmaWaterways Magnificent Europe
- Explore on Two Wheels
- The Enchanting Rhine
- Taste of Bordeaux
- Experience Africa with us Aboard the Zambezi Queen
- Fine Dining aboard AmaWaterways
- AmaDolceWhen it debuted in 2009, the remarkable AmaDolce set new standards for European river cruising. The ship has seventy one staterooms and th… Read more
- AmaLeaWith its modern design features, the 443 feet long AmaLea promises to enhance the river cruise industry in Europe when it sets sail in 201… Read more
- AmaKristinaIn 2017, the brand new, exquisitely designed AmaKristina will join her sister ship AmaViola on European rivers. Featuring AmaWaterways&rsq… Read more
- AmaStellaDebuting in 2016, the custom built AmaStella is identical to the AmaSerena and is one of AmaWaterways’ family-friendly river cruise… Read more
- AmaViolaWith fresh design concepts and innovative family friendly features, the 2016 debuting AmaViola is a new entrant in AmaWaterways’ fle… Read more
- AmaSerenaDebuting in 2016, the graceful AmaSerena, sister to AmaPrima, includes several cutting-edge design features aimed to deliver a seamless r… Read more
- AmaSonataLaunched in 2014, the AmaSonata is a beautifully designed, 443 feet long, 164 passenger sister ship to the popular AmaCerto vessel. The un… Read more
- AmaPrimaLaunched in 2013, the 443 feet, 164 passenger AmaPrima is designed to resemble a classic ocean yacht while providing a distinctive river c… Read more
- AmaCertoLaunched in 2012, the 443 feet long AmaCerto is inspired by classic ocean yachts and delivers an outstanding river cruise experience in Eu… Read more
- AmaLyraThe beautiful 360 feet long AmaLyra joined AmaWaterways’ fleet in 2009. Featuring some of the most luxurious accommodations ever fou… Read more
- AmaCelloDebuting in 2008, the 360 feet long AmaCello offers an elegant and immersive river cruise experience. As soon as you step onboard, you wil… Read more
- AmaDanteThe meticulously designed and crafted AmaDante debuted in 2008 and has since been mesmerizing guests while gliding along historic European… Read more
- AmaDaraDebuting in 2015, the 124 passenger AmaDara is designed to bring the finest river cruising experience to Asia. With exotic Asian inspired… Read more
- AmaVidaThe 260 feet long, 106 passenger AmaVida was commissioned in 2013 and allows guests to explore historic ports, enchanting wine regions and… Read more
- AmaMagnaAs imagined by AmaWaterways co-owner and president, Rudi Schreiner, the “godfather of river cruising,” the AmaMagna, years in… Read moreBuilt2019Crew70Length443 ft.Width72 ft.Suites53Staterooms98RegistrySwtizerland
- Best For Active CruisersCruise Critic 2017
- Best FoodTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner Best On-Shore ActivitiesTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner Best Onboard ActivitiesTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner - Best OverallTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner Best River Cruise LineAFAR Travelers’ Choice Award 2017
- Best River Cruise LineGlobal Traveler Leisure 2017
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line, Asia2017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line, Europe21017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line, Africa2017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Ship, AmaStella2017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line Overall2017 Travvy Awards
- Best River Cruise Line for Active CruisersCruise Critic 2016
- Best River Cruise Line for FamiliesCruise Critic 2016
- Best River Cruise Line Overall2016 Cruise Critic
- Best River Cruise Line2016 Virtuoso
- Best New Ship, AmaSerenaTravelAge West Award 2016
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 70,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose between 20,000+ tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Can we reserve a table at the restaurant?
All ships have an open seating policy in the main restaurant to ensure you have the opportunity to meet your fellow travelers. Reservations for our specialty tasting menu at The Chef's Table Restaurant can be made once you are on board the ship. Our Receptionist can assist you with any dining questions.
The Chef's Table Restaurant is available on all our ships in Europe and the Mekong River. It is not available in Portugal or Africa.
What's the dress code?
Comfortable “Country Club Casual” is the recommended attire for daytime, and to pack something a little dressier for the Captain’s night/Farewell Dinner – similar to how one would dress to dine at a 5-star restaurant. Comfortable shoes are recommended for excursions and workout clothing if you plan to take part in any wellness activities, active tours or use the onboard gym. Depending on the time of year, clothing that can be layered is highly recommended.
Vietnam & Cambodia: It is always advisable to travel light in Southeast Asia. For the hot and humid weather, lightweight easy-care clothing that includes some long-sleeved items for protection from mosquitoes and sun, raingear, and sturdy and comfortable walking shoes that you won’t mind getting wet or muddy. We also recommend you pack a few smart casual items to wear at the Welcome and Farewell dinners.
Africa: When traveling through Africa, it is always advisable to travel light as some itineraries baggage size and weight are strictly limited. On Safari: casual, easy-care clothing that includes some long-sleeved items for protection from mosquitoes and sun. Attire during Winter (April - September): it is wise to bring some warm clothes for chilly early morning and late night temperatures. Dressing in layers is also recommended, as temperatures rise quickly during the day.
Dining in Town: If you plan on dining at a fine restaurant in a city such as Cape Town or Johannesburg, “smart casual” is the norm – no ties for men or evening dresses for women are necessary.
Is there internet available on board?
Europe: High-speed Internet service is available free of charge as part of the in-stateroom "Entertainment-On-Demand." Additionally, AmaWaterways offers complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
Vietnam and Cambodia: Free Internet and Wi-Fi in the lounge with computer stations.
Africa: Due to environmental preservation there is no internet connection aboard the Zambezi Queen.
Are AmaWaterway ships wheelchair accessible?
Europe: Wheelchair accessibility is very limited on our European ships. We do have an elevator between the two main decks, however it does not reach the Sun deck or Piano deck. They would be able to move around the dining room and lounge in their chair, however the rooms are not able to accommodate a wheelchair, so while in their stateroom they would need to be able to move around on their own. Their chair would also need to be stored in their stateroom, due to limited storage on board. Getting on and off the ship, could be a challenge, as the planks are narrow and cannot accommodate a wheelchair or scooter's width. They would have to be able to get on and off the ship without their wheelchair and the wheelchair would have to be light enough to be lifted off and on the ramps. It is common to tie up to other river ships in port. When this happens we would sometimes need to travel through another ship to disembark, with many ships requiring we do so from the Sun deck, where there is only stair access.
During the excursions, a good majority of the cities visited have the cobble stone walkways, this may be a challenge to maneuver with a wheelchair. The motor coaches we use as a main means of transport do not have any sort of lift and there are 4 or 5 steep steps to get on and off.
Vietnam, Cambodia & Africa: These itineraries require a person to be able bodied. There are many unpaved roads and the ships do not have elevators.
What's the minimum age to travel with AmaWaterways?
On our programs in Europe & Southeast Asia, children under the age of 4 years old are not permitted onboard and children 4-7 years old are not recommended. On our Africa program, due to safety precautions, there is a minimum age limit of 12 years old, unless otherwise agreed upon by AmaWaterways. All guests under the age of 18 are to be in a stateroom with an adult, and must remain supervised at all times, as their safety is the responsibility of the accompanying adult(s). Children between the ages of 4 – 10 at the time of embarkation may share a stateroom with 2 adults provided the child is able to share the bed with the adults – no additional bed will be provided. Select ships offer a limited number of staterooms with a fold out sofa for a triple occupant, we would be happy to guide you through these options when available. A triple occupancy rate will apply for the child sharing the stateroom, pricing can be provided upon request. Please be aware that balcony staterooms of any kind may be unsafe for small children if left unsupervised. AmaWaterways does not provide child-specific programs or child-minding facilities. Please reach out to us if you have any further questions regarding our child policy.
Is there a pool on board?
Europe: All ships are equipped with a whirlpool or heated swimming pool, perfect for a refreshing dip. Saunas are available on select ships.
Africa: The Sun Deck has a small environmentally-friendly pool for your enjoyment.This pool is filled with filtered water from the Chobe River and is drained and refilled each day. No harmful chemicals are ever added to the water in order to protect the wildlife living in and along the river.
Vietnam & Cambodia: There is a refreshing pool located on the Sun Deck.
Please note there is no attendant on duty and use of these facilities is solely at your own risk. AMAWATERWAYS and its affiliates are not responsible for any injuries sustained during the use of the whirlpool, pool or sauna.
Are audio sets provided for the shore excursions?
Europe: During shore excursions, we provide a sophisticated audio headset system that allows guests to comfortably listen to their tour guide while taking photos or admiring some of Europe's hidden gems.
Vietnam & Cambodia: During shore excursions, we provide a sophisticated audio headset system that allows guests to comfortably listen to their tour guide while taking photos or admiring the surroundings of Vietnam and Cambodia.
What beverages are included on board?
Europe: Coffee, tea and specialty coffees, such as espresso and café latte are available free of charge throughout the day and during meals. Complimentary bottled water is replenished daily. During lunch and dinner, local wines soft drinks and beer are available on a complimentary basis. As of 2018, enjoy our daily "Sip and Sail" cocktail hour. Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are available at additional cost.
Vietnam & Cambodia: Complimentary soft drinks, juices, house brand spirits, local beers, filtered coffee and tea are available during the cruise. Free flowing wine with every lunch and dinner on board. Imported wine and premium alcoholic beverages are available to purchase at an additional cost. Complimentary bottled water is replenished daily.
Africa: Complimentary wine and beer is served with all lunch and dinners on board. Coffee and tea are available free of charge throughout the day and during meals from the bar. Premium alcoholic beverages as well as drinks outside of meal times are available at the bar for additional cost. Complimentary bottled water is replenished daily.
What type of cuisine is available on board? I have a dietary restriction can you accommodate that?
Europe: All meals are skillfully prepared by European chefs and consist of Continental cuisine made with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients whenever possible. Breakfast is buffet-style with selections available from the menu as well. Lunch is also buffet-style with salads, soups and a selection of hot buffet items, hot entrees and desserts. Dinner is a multi-course meal with a choice of delicious entrees, including a vegetarian option.
Vietnam & Cambodia: All meals are prepared by local chefs and consist of Western cuisine as well as Vietnamese and Cambodian cuisine. Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style. Dinner is a multi-course meal with a selection of entrées.
Africa: All meals are prepared by local chefs and consist of Western cuisine as well as local cuisine. The mornings offer a full English breakfast and the afternoons offer a lavish gourmet lunch buffet. Dinner is a multi-course meal with a selection of entrées. Certain meals will be served on land.
Dietary Restrictions/Allergies: Please advise your Travel Agent or call us directly to advise if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies prior to embarkation so we are able to accommodate your request. Please note, though we can provide options to accommodate food allergies and sensitivities, we cannot guarantee there will not be any cross-contamination.
Are all meals included?
All meals on board the ships are included in the cruise price. Meals are served in the dining room in a single seating. For dinner, passengers will be seated by a dining room host.