- More active ways to discover
- A personalized approach to exceeding expectations
- Guests are the top priority
- An award-winning fleet
AmaWaterways operates the finest fleet and provides all-inclusive river cruise vacations on the great waterways of Europe, Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia. With an innovative product and rapidly-growing fleet of custom-designed ships, the line enjoys a reputation as th...
AmaWaterways operates the finest fleet and provides all-inclusive river cruise vacations on the great waterways of Europe, Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia. With an innovative product and rapidly-growing fleet of custom-designed ships, the line enjoys a reputation as the leader in river cruising. AmaWaterways was founded in 2002 by Rudi Schreiner, Kristin Karst and Jimmy Murphy. All Three brought tremendous experience, knowledge and dedication to the venture. Rudi was one of river cruising’s pioneers, having introduced the modern-day river cruise concept to the market. Kristin brought with her vast sales and customer service experience. And Jimmy Murphy is the founder and former owner of Brendan Vacations. Their combined expertise and passion for the river cruise business results in a river cruise vacation experience that will exceed expectations. With more than 20 different itineraries to choose from, the river cruise vacation of a lifetime awaits with AmaWaterways!Read more
19 AmaWaterways Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Value for money
- 5 / 5
- CKCaitlinMelodies of the Danube 20195.0 - ExcellentWritten on January 17, 2020A fantastic trip- only wish it was longer! The entire crew was great and the ship was extremely comfortable. The organized day trips/tours were spot on.
- ELElleCharms of the Mekong 2019 (from Ho Chi Minh City to Kampong Cham)3.0 - AverageWritten on December 31, 2019While I felt like the crew, tour guides, and boat were all wonderful, there are a few things I do feel fell short. A number of the outings felt redundant, makin…Read more
- WLWilliamCaptivating Rhine 20195.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 28, 2019Cruise was Excellent
- ACAnnette KimCaptivating Rhine 20195.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 26, 2019Very knowledgeable and very nice.
- BBBarryCaptivating Rhine (Wine Cruise) 20195.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 15, 2019Great vacation i would definitely go on another Amawater ways river cruise!
- Main Page Video
- Life on Board
- AmaWaterways Wine Cruise
- Vietnam, Cambodia and the Mekong River
- AmaWaterways Excursion in German
- Show more...
- Europe's Magical Christmas Markets
- AmaWaterways Luxury River Cruises
- AmaWaterways Wine Cruises
- Health & Wellness on the River
- AmaWaterways Magnificent Europe
- Explore on Two Wheels
- The Enchanting Rhine
- Taste of Bordeaux
- Experience Africa with us Aboard the Zambezi Queen
- Fine Dining aboard AmaWaterways
- Journey Along the Rhine & Moselle Rivers
- AmaMora Christening
- AmaDolceEnjoy the sweet life aboard AmaDolce. Your experience starts in your elegantly appointed stateroom, where Entertainment-On-Demand and soo… Read moreBuilt2009Guests144Crew45Length110 m / 361 ftStaterooms73RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3350 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaLeaDesigned with vibrant pops of color that call to mind the autumn harvest in European vineyards, and appointed with our signature twin bal… Read moreBuilt2018Guests156Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftStaterooms78RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaKristinaWith AmaWaterways’ co-owner Kristin Karst serving as AmaKristina’s godmother, you know you’ll have a distinctive experie… Read moreBuilt2017Guests156Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftStaterooms78RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaStellaA star of the AmaWaterways fleet, the AmaStella truly shines, her glow lasting far longer than the duration of your cruise. A centerpiece… Read moreBuilt2016Guests156Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftStaterooms78RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaViolaBrightly colored floral and geometric patterns from stateroom to Main Lounge immediately show you that the AmaViola is no ordinary river… Read moreBuilt2016Guests156Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftRegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaSerenaAmaSerena is a regal river ship accommodating both guests who wish to socialize with kindred cruisers and those seeking private rejuvenat… Read moreBuilt2015Guests162Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftStaterooms81RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaSonataIntroduced in 2014, the AmaSonata sings her melodious tune down Europe’s great rivers. Most accommodations have twin balconies, so… Read moreBuilt2014Guests162Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftStaterooms81RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaPrimaEnjoy an authentic European river cruise experience on board AmaPrima. Immerse yourself in the sights, sounds and fresh scents of Europe&… Read moreBuilt2013Guests162Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftStaterooms81RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaCertoLike a fallen leaf floating atop the water, AmaCerto floats effortlessly down Europe’s most fascinating waterways. A foliage theme i… Read moreBuilt2012Built2012Guests162Guests162Crew51Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftLength135 m / 443 ftStaterooms81Staterooms81RegistrySwitzerlandRegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtGross Tonnage3600 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mphCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaLyraAfter her launch, the AmaLyra quickly earned a "Best New River Cruise Ship" distinction in comfort and style. Perhaps it can be… Read moreBuilt2009Guests144Crew45Length110 m / 361 ftStaterooms73RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3350 gtBeam11 m / 36 ft
- AmaCelloDecorated in a palette of gold and orange that reflects Europe’s brilliant autumn foliage, the AmaCello is a floating delight. The… Read moreBuilt2008Guests144Crew45Length110 m / 361 ftStaterooms73RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3350 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaDanteGliding along the phenomenally beautiful Rhine and Moselle rivers, the AmaDante is a study in understated elegance, decorated with subdued… Read moreBuilt2008Guests144Crew45Length110 m / 361 ftStaterooms75RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3350 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaDaraThis distinctive ship is in a class of her own! AmaWaterways’ sole cruise ship on the Mekong River, the AmaDara features French Colo… Read moreBuilt2015Guests124Crew52Length92 m / 302 ftWidth14 m / 46 ftStaterooms62RegistryVietnamGross Tonnage2420 gtCruising Speed9 kn / 17 kph / 10 mph
- AmaVidaTimeless elegance spills from the decks of the AmaVida, a ship that debuted on Portugal and Spain’s Douro River in 2013. Rust and g… Read moreBuilt2013Guests102Crew38Length80 m / 262 ftStaterooms51RegistryPortugalGross Tonnage1200 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- AmaCertoLike a fallen leaf floating atop the water, AmaCerto floats effortlessly down Europe’s most fascinating waterways. A harvest theme is carr… Read moreCapacityBuilt2012Guests162Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftWidth11,6 m / 38 ftSuitesStaterooms81RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtElectricityBeamCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mphGeneratorsEnginesDraft
- AmaMagnaAs imagined by AmaWaterways co-owner and president, Rudi Schreiner, the “godfather of river cruising,” the AmaMagna is twice… Read moreBuilt2019Guests196Crew70Length135 m / 443 ftSuites53Staterooms98RegistrySwtizerlandBeam22 m / 72 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaMoraSister ship to the AmaLea, the AmaMora is an incredible twin-balcony ship launching in 2019 with generous personal space, multiple dining… Read moreBuilt2019Guests156Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftStaterooms78RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage3600 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph
- AmaDouroThe popularity of Portugal and Spain’s Douro Valley cannot be ignored—that’s why we are pleased to debut our newest Dou… Read moreBuilt2019Guests102Crew38Length79 m / 259 ftStaterooms51RegistryPortugalGross Tonnage1200 gtBeam11 m / 36 ftCruising Speed12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph
- Zambezi QueenDesigned specifically for wildlife viewing, the intimate 28-passenger Zambezi Queen made her debut in one of the world’s most capti… Read moreBuilt2009 (renovated 2015)Guests28Crew22Length46 m / 151 ftStaterooms14RegistryNamibiaGross Tonnage500 gtBeam8 m / 26 ft
- AmaSienaSister ship to the award-winning AmaKristina, the elegant 156-passenger AmaSiena is a warm, inviting ship offering plenty of space for gu… Read moreBuilt2020Guests156Crew51Length135 m / 443 ftStaterooms78RegistrySwitzerlandGross Tonnage5000 gtBeam12 m / 38 ft
- Best For Active CruisersCruise Critic 2017
- Best FoodTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner Best On-Shore ActivitiesTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner Best Onboard ActivitiesTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner - Best OverallTown & Country Cruise Award 2017
- Winner Best River Cruise LineAFAR Travelers’ Choice Award 2017
- Best River Cruise LineGlobal Traveler Leisure 2017
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line, Asia2017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line, Europe21017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line, Africa2017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Ship, AmaStella2017 Travvy Award
- Gold Winner for Best River Cruise Line Overall2017 Travvy Awards
- Best River Cruise Line for Active CruisersCruise Critic 2016
- Best River Cruise Line for FamiliesCruise Critic 2016
- Best River Cruise Line Overall2016 Cruise Critic
- Best River Cruise Line2016 Virtuoso
- Best New Ship, AmaSerenaTravelAge West Award 2016
Exclusive benefits with
- Compare 2500+ carefully screened operators
- Read 150,000+ genuine traveller reviews
- Choose from over 40,000 tours
- Always pay the best and lowest price
- Earn unlimited travel credits with every booking
- Never pay credit card or booking fees
- Book via our secure payment platform
- Enjoy flexible payment options
- Trusted by thousands of satisfied travellers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is it possible to smoke onboard?
Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside any of the AmaWaterways ships. Smoking is only permitted on the Aft of the Sun Deck. For the safety and comfort of all passengers on board, your cooperation in observing the no-smoking policy is greatly appreciated.
I have a dietary restriction can you accommodate that?
At the time of booking please advise your cruise specialist if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies so AmaWaterways can do their best to accommodate your request. Please note, though they can provide options to accommodate food allergies and sensitivities, they cannot guarantee there will not be any cross-contamination.
Do you accept traveller's cheques onboard?
AmaWaterways does not accept traveller's cheques onboard however you can settle your account onboard with a credit card or cash.
Can we reserve a table at the restaurant?
All ships have an open seating policy in the main restaurant to ensure you have the opportunity to meet your fellow travellers. Reservations for the speciality tasting menu at The Chef's Table Restaurant can be made once you are on board the ship.
The Chef's Table Restaurant is available on all AmaWaterways ships in Europe and the Mekong River. It is not available in Portugal or Africa.
What's the dress code?
Comfortable “Country Club Casual” is the recommended attire for daytime, and to pack something a little dressier for the Captain’s night/Farewell Dinner – similar to how one would dress to dine at a 5-star restaurant. Comfortable shoes are recommended for excursions and workout clothing if you plan to take part in any wellness activities, active tours or use the onboard gym. Depending on the time of year, clothing that can be layered is highly recommended.
Vietnam & Cambodia: It is always advisable to travel light in Southeast Asia. For the hot and humid weather, lightweight easy-care clothing that includes some long-sleeved items for protection from mosquitoes and sun, raingear, and comfortable walking shoes that you won’t mind getting wet or muddy. We also recommend you pack a few smart casual items to wear at the Welcome and Farewell dinners.
Africa: When travelling through Africa, it is always advisable to travel light as some itineraries baggage size and weight are strictly limited. On Safari: casual, easy-care clothing that includes some long-sleeved items for protection from mosquitoes and sun. Attire during Winter (April - September): it is wise to bring some warm clothes for chilly early morning and late night temperatures. Dressing in layers is also recommended, as temperatures rise quickly during the day.
Dining in Town: If you plan on dining at a fine restaurant in a city such as Cape Town or Johannesburg, “smart casual” is the norm – no ties for men or evening dresses for women are necessary.
Is there internet available on board?
Europe: High-speed Internet service is available free of charge as part of the in-stateroom "Entertainment-On-Demand." Additionally, AmaWaterways offers complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
Vietnam and Cambodia: Free Internet and Wi-Fi in the lounge with computer stations.
Africa: Due to environmental preservation there is no internet connection aboard the Zambezi Queen.
Are AmaWaterway ships wheelchair accessible?
Europe: Wheelchair accessibility is very limited on the European ships. There is an elevator between the two main decks, however, it does not reach the Sun deck or Piano deck. The passenger would be able to move around the dining room and lounge in their chair, however, the rooms are not able to accommodate a wheelchair, so while in their stateroom they would need to be able to move around on their own. Their chair would also need to be stored in their stateroom, due to limited storage on board. Getting on and off the ship, could pose a challenge as the planks are narrow and cannot accommodate a wheelchair or scooter's width. The passenger would have to be able to get on and off the ship without their wheelchair and the wheelchair would have to be light enough to be lifted off and on the ramps. It is common to tie up to other river ships in port and when this happens we would sometimes need to travel through another ship to disembark, with many ships requiring it to be done via Sun deck, which is stair access only.
During the excursions, a good majority of the cities visited have the cobblestone walkways and this may be a challenge to manoeuvre with a wheelchair. The motor coaches Amawaterways use as a main means of transport will require the passengers to be able to do stairs as there are usually 4 or 5 steep steps to get on and off the coach.
Vietnam, Cambodia & Africa: These itineraries require a person to be able-bodied. There are many unpaved roads and the ships do not have elevators to accommodate the passenger.
What's the minimum age to travel with AmaWaterways?
The AmaWaterways programs in Europe & Southeast Asia, children under the age of 4 years old are not permitted onboard and children 4-7 years old are not recommended due to the limited facilities for them. On their Africa program, due to safety precautions, there is a minimum age limit of 12 years old, unless otherwise agreed upon by AmaWaterways. All guests under the age of 18 are to be in a stateroom with an adult, and must remain supervised at all times, as their safety is the responsibility of the accompanying adult(s). Children between the ages of 4 – 10 at the time of embarkation may share a stateroom with 2 adults provided the child is able to share the bed with the adults – no additional bed will be provided. Select ships offer a limited number of staterooms with a fold out sofa for a triple occupant, we would be happy to guide you through these options when available. A triple occupancy rate will apply for the child sharing the stateroom, pricing can be provided upon request. Please be aware that balcony staterooms of any kind may be unsafe for small children if left unsupervised. AmaWaterways does not provide child-specific programs or child-minding facilities. Please reach out to your cruise specialist if you have any further questions regarding AmaWaterways child policy.
Is there a pool on board?
Europe: All ships are equipped with a whirlpool or heated swimming pool, perfect for a refreshing dip. Saunas are available on select ships.
Africa: The Sun Deck has a small environmentally-friendly pool for your enjoyment.This pool is filled with filtered water from the Chobe River and is drained and refilled each day. No harmful chemicals are ever added to the water in order to protect the wildlife living in and along the river.
Vietnam & Cambodia: There is a refreshing pool located on the Sun Deck.
Please note there is no attendant on duty and use of these facilities is solely at your own risk.
Are audio sets provided for the shore excursions?
During shore excursions in Europe, Vietnam & Cambodia, you will be provided with a sophisticated audio headset system that allows you to comfortably listen to your tour guide while taking photos or admiring some of Europe's hidden gems.