- Authentic travel experiences
- 60% of travellers are solo passengers
- Established for 30 years
- Travelling with like minded people
Awards & Recognitions
Tucan Travel Guides
174 Tucan Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- MarjoriePatagonia Lake District2.5 - AverageWritten on March 20, 2017COLD, WET... The TRUCK IS NOT HEATED so it was uncomfortable on the cold raining days driving through Patagonia. Perspective customers should know that the tru…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Marjorie, thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry that your tour didn't meet your expectations and that you experienced a particularly wet Patagonia. It can get very cold and wet in that part of the world and we advise our customers to pack lots of layers to keep warm. It's a part of the world known for its beauty and dramatic landscapes and most people prefer to enjoy it no matter the weather while on tour with us - particularly as its a once in a lifetime kind of trip. Optional excursions also get booked up in advance so decisions need to be made in advance to guarantee availability. We would be happy to address all of your other comments if you email firstname.lastname@example.org
- HaraldMagical Mexico3.0 - AverageWritten on March 19, 2017We visited during this trip what we expected, the schedule was fulfilled as described. Guide Lisa is very experienced and friendly, she created good atmosphere.…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Harald. Thanks for your feedback. We use locally owned hotels and guesthouses throughout Central America as this allows money to go directly to the local people rather than large corporate chains. The hotel standards can vary from place to place but we always make sure that they are clean, comfortable and in good locations. We never guarantee hot water. With all of this in mind, the hotel we use in Cancun is small, locally owned and in the heart of the town rather than in the incredibly touristy, expensive and commercialised hotel zone.
- Janique1.5 - Rather poorWritten on March 14, 2017…I have already reviewed this tour which is no longer available due to Tucan no longer operating group tours in Cuba which, by the way, is a good …Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Janique, we are so sorry that your tour of Cuba did not meet your expectations. You are correct in saying that we no longer operate Group Tours to Cuba despite popular demand. Despite this, we still want to hear your feedback, even if it is not positive. Please email email@example.com with as much information as possible on your tour and we will look into it for you. We apologise again, Jess @ Tucan Travel
- LilySouthern Sri Lanka4.0 - GoodWritten on March 8, 2017I spent my days on this tour in constant awe of the beauty of this country. The colour of the landscape and the friendly people made me feel warm and safe. We e…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewThank you so much for your feedback Lily. It sounds like your trip was magical!
- MarshaJewels of Sri Lanka2.5 - AverageWritten on March 4, 2017Having read such good reviews I booked the 15 day Jewels of Sri Lanka tour and was sorely disappointed. On day one I arrived to meet the group at the hotel give…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Marsha, I am disappointed to read that your tour did not meet your expectations and that you left early. Our Sri Lanka tours have always had glowing feedback and we very rarely hear otherwise from clients. When investigating complaints like these, we always look at feedback from others on the same departure and comments from the tour leader. This allows us maintain our high standards as we can really establish what went wrong. In this instance, other clients on your tour gave mainly positive feedback, praising the itinerary, the tour's value and the many sights they got to see. We note that on your feedback directly to us, sent in a a few days ago, you ask to be contacted. Someone will be emailing you shortly. Please ensure that you provide us with as much information as possible as this will help further our investigation. Kind regards, Jess @ Tucan Travel
- becyQuito to Rio3.5 - GoodWritten on March 1, 2017…was no where near as good as them, but I will try a smaller trip with Tucan as their itinarys are ok.Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Becy, thanks for your comments. Feedback like this is invaluable as it allows us to really identify where improvements are necessary. Overall, it sounds like you had a fantastic time, making some incredible memories! We are so pleased for that and we look forward to hosting you on another tour in the future..
- davidMarkets & Mayans4.5 - ExcellentWritten on February 14, 2017Excellent trip. with one exception too much time on buses, more time than advertised,Tucan Travel commented on this reviewHI David, Thanks for your feedback. We are so pleased you had a good time. Yes, some of the journeys are long and the travel times advertised are just approximates. Depending on local conditions, it can take more or less time, in the same way it would travelling anywhere in the world. However, we are confident that the types of travel we choose are the most appropriate for the regions we operate in. Thanks again and we do hope to see you on more trips with us in the future.
- JoJewels of Sri Lanka4.5 - ExcellentWritten on February 7, 2017We went on a Jewels or Sri Lanka trip. We had an amazing time, there is so much to do and see in Sri Lanka, I think we covered most of it. The tour was really v…Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewThank you for your feedback Jo. We are so pleased you had such a good time in Sri Lanka.
Tucan Travel Tours
About Tucan Travel
Tucan Travel videos
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 3
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 1
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 2
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 4
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 5
- Show more...
- Main Page Video
- Cusco, Lima
- Machu Picchu
- On The Road with Tucan Travel, Africa
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Borneo Adventure
- Lake Titicaca
- The Amazon Jungle from Peru
- Sri Lanka
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
Why Tucan Travel?
Modular, Flexible Itineraries
Tucan Travel Benefits
Over 4000 Guaranteed Departures
Custom Trucks on Overland Tours
Awards & Recognitions
Exclusive benefits with
No Booking FeesTourRadar charges 0% booking fees and 0% credit card fees. You won’t find any hidden fees or additional surcharges with us. We want to #BoycottBookingFeesLearn more
Best Price GuaranteeFound a better price elsewhere for the same trip? Send us the quote and we'll match it!Learn more
Earn Unlimited Travel CreditsEvery time you book with us or you invite someone to TourRadar, you get travel credits.Learn more
Tucan Travel Photos
Tucan Travel Story & History
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
What transport will be used?
Tucan Travel’s tours use a variety of transport. On most of their tours you will be using a combination of different public transport styles. This includes public buses, trains, overnight transport, tuk-tuks and taxis. Please be aware that as you will be taking public transport, then the baggage you bring must be easily able to carry whilst travelling.
On Africa tours and some South America tours you will be travelling on their custom-built overland trucks. They feature forward facing coach seats, safety belts, and plenty of leg room. The trucks are equipped with powerful engines and long range fuel tanks as well as ample storage and power sockets .
What is the best way to carry money while on the tour?
In most destinations (except for Europe and Cuba), all currency should be in US dollars. ATMs are the easiest way to withdraw money BUT you should never rely solely on them and always have a back-up of cash. Tucan Travel recommend travellers to bring as much US dollars cash (in small denomination bills with no rips, writing or other damage) or euro cash (depending on the destination) as you feel comfortable carrying.
Are meals included on the tour?
Meals vary from itinerary to itinerary. In many cases breakfasts are included, as well as meals whilst camping, such as on the Inca Trek. On tours that do not have meals included, Tucan Travel’s tour leaders will be able to recommend local restaurants for clients who want to try the region’s cuisine on their adventure.
How about the crime rate in each destinations?
Please read the travel safety notices issued by your government, purchase comprehensive travel insurance and take heed of your tour leader's advice when you arrive.
When will the travellers meet the tour leader?
On most group tours the tour leader will be at the joining hotel and will hold a pre-departure meeting in the late afternoon/early evening of day 1. On some shorter trips, you will not meet your tour leader until day 2, as these trips are parts of longer adventure travel tours.
Does Tucan Travel offer airport transfers?
In most cities, Tucan Travel offer arrival transfer services which can be booked for an additional charge. It is also easy to take a taxi to the joining hotel. Most airports have reliable pre-paid fixed priced taxi booths in the arrivals terminal. Please enquire if you would like to know if the tour you are interested in has a transfer included.
What things do I need to bring?
It depends entirely on each destination, the season and the activites you'll participate in. Some tours require sleeping bags, comfortable, hardy, waterproof shoes and waterproof clothing for outdoor activities, e.g. trekking. Bring long, light clothing for hot destinations and countries where you'll encounter conservative attitudes to dress.
What kind of luggage is recommended?
Tucan Travel recommends that travellers bring a soft frameless backpack or sports type bag. Wheeled luggage and suitcases are not recommended on Tucan Travel’s tours as these are not suitable for storage on the trucks or public transport. Travellers will need to carry their own luggage and should make sure to bring a comfortable bag that is light enough to carry. For tours travelling on our expedition or if you are travelling on a tour with internal flights, the luggage should not exceed 20 kilograms.
When is the arrival and departure on the tour?
Day 1 of all our group tours is simply a joining day and the last day is the official departure day so travellers can arrive/depart at any time on these days. In general the tour departs early on day 2 and returns in the afternoon/evening of the second to last day. Day 1 of our Expedition Cruises is often the departure day, unless it is packaged with pre cruise accommodation.
Why is a local payment required?
For travellers on the Budget Expeditions Group Tour, a local payment to the tour leader on day 1 in US dollars is required. In the rare event that there is a short fall in the local payment, travellers will be required to make an extra contribution.