- Authentic travel experiences
- 60% of travellers are solo passengers
- Established for 30 years
- Travelling with like minded people
Awards & Recognitions
Tucan Travel Guides
168 Tucan Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4.5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- davidMarkets & Mayans4.5 - ExcellentWritten on February 14, 2017Excellent trip. with one exception too much time on buses, more time than advertised,Tucan Travel commented on this reviewHI David, Thanks for your feedback. We are so pleased you had a good time. Yes, some of the journeys are long and the travel times advertised are just approximates. Depending on local conditions, it can take more or less time, in the same way it would travelling anywhere in the world. However, we are confident that the types of travel we choose are the most appropriate for the regions we operate in. Thanks again and we do hope to see you on more trips with us in the future.
- JoJewels of Sri Lanka4.5 - ExcellentWritten on February 7, 2017We went on a Jewels or Sri Lanka trip. We had an amazing time, there is so much to do and see in Sri Lanka, I think we covered most of it. The tour was really v...Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewThank you for your feedback Jo. We are so pleased you had such a good time in Sri Lanka.
- JoJewels of Sri Lanka5.0 - ExcellentWritten on February 2, 2017...also great and looked after us all so well. They are all a credit to Tucan travel. Overall an amazing, interesting and I would thoroughly recomm...Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewWhat fantastic feedback Jo! Thank you so much! We will make sure to feed this back to Amara and Ranjit.
- DotIndochina Encompassed4.0 - GoodWritten on February 1, 2017Accommodation overall was good. I had two seedy hotels over 42 nights. Accommodation was mostly situated close to the main sites. Mode of transportation was go...Read moreTucan Travel commented on this reviewHi Dot, thank you for your feedback here! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your tour and we look forward to receiving more information from you soon!
- MCosta Rica Encompassed2.5 - AverageWritten on January 29, 2017Excellent guide. But awful hotels.Tucan Travel commented on this reviewWe are sorry that the accommodation on your tour didn't meet your expectations. We use three star hotels in Central America. They are just a place to sleep, with every day being packed with optional excursions and activities.
Tucan Travel Tours
About Tucan Travel
Tucan Travel videos
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 3
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 1
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 2
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 4
- The Road to Rio Carnival Day 5
- Show more...
- Main Page Video
- Cusco, Lima
- Machu Picchu
- On The Road with Tucan Travel, Africa
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Borneo Adventure
- Lake Titicaca
- The Amazon Jungle from Peru
- Sri Lanka
- Japan: The Ultimate Travel Guide
Why Tucan Travel?
Modular, Flexible Itineraries
Tucan Travel Benefits
Over 4000 Guaranteed Departures
Custom Trucks on Overland Tours
Awards & Recognitions
Exclusive benefits with
No Booking FeesTourRadar charges 0% booking fees and 0% credit card fees. You won’t find any hidden fees or additional surcharges with us. We want to #BoycottBookingFeesLearn more
Best Price GuaranteeFound a better price elsewhere for the same trip? Send us the quote and we'll match it!Learn more
Earn Unlimited Travel CreditsEvery time you book with us or you invite someone to TourRadar, you get travel credits.Learn more
Tucan Travel Photos
Popular for Tucan Travel
Tucan Travel Story & History
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
What transport will be used?
Tucan Travel’s tours use a variety of transport. On most of their tours you will be using a combination of different public transport styles. This includes public buses, trains, overnight transport, tuk-tuks and taxis. Please be aware that as you will be taking public transport, then the baggage you bring must be easily able to carry whilst travelling.
On Africa tours and some South America tours you will be travelling on their custom-built overland trucks. They feature forward facing coach seats, safety belts, and plenty of leg room. The trucks are equipped with powerful engines and long range fuel tanks as well as ample storage and power sockets .
What is the best way to carry money while on the tour?
In most destinations (except for Europe and Cuba), all currency should be in US dollars. ATMs are the easiest way to withdraw money BUT you should never rely solely on them and always have a back-up of cash. Tucan Travel recommend travellers to bring as much US dollars cash (in small denomination bills with no rips, writing or other damage) or euro cash (depending on the destination) as you feel comfortable carrying.
Are meals included on the tour?
Meals vary from itinerary to itinerary. In many cases breakfasts are included, as well as meals whilst camping, such as on the Inca Trek. On tours that do not have meals included, Tucan Travel’s tour leaders will be able to recommend local restaurants for clients who want to try the region’s cuisine on their adventure.
How about the crime rate in each destinations?
Please read the travel safety notices issued by your government, purchase comprehensive travel insurance and take heed of your tour leader's advice when you arrive.
When will the travellers meet the tour leader?
On most group tours the tour leader will be at the joining hotel and will hold a pre-departure meeting in the late afternoon/early evening of day 1. On some shorter trips, you will not meet your tour leader until day 2, as these trips are parts of longer adventure travel tours.
Does Tucan Travel offer airport transfers?
In most cities, Tucan Travel offer arrival transfer services which can be booked for an additional charge. It is also easy to take a taxi to the joining hotel. Most airports have reliable pre-paid fixed priced taxi booths in the arrivals terminal. Please enquire if you would like to know if the tour you are interested in has a transfer included.
What things do I need to bring?
It depends entirely on each destination, the season and the activites you'll participate in. Some tours require sleeping bags, comfortable, hardy, waterproof shoes and waterproof clothing for outdoor activities, e.g. trekking. Bring long, light clothing for hot destinations and countries where you'll encounter conservative attitudes to dress.
What kind of luggage is recommended?
Tucan Travel recommends that travellers bring a soft frameless backpack or sports type bag. Wheeled luggage and suitcases are not recommended on Tucan Travel’s tours as these are not suitable for storage on the trucks or public transport. Travellers will need to carry their own luggage and should make sure to bring a comfortable bag that is light enough to carry. For tours travelling on our expedition or if you are travelling on a tour with internal flights, the luggage should not exceed 20 kilograms.
When is the arrival and departure on the tour?
Day 1 of all our group tours is simply a joining day and the last day is the official departure day so travellers can arrive/depart at any time on these days. In general the tour departs early on day 2 and returns in the afternoon/evening of the second to last day. Day 1 of our Expedition Cruises is often the departure day, unless it is packaged with pre cruise accommodation.
Why is a local payment required?
For travellers on the Budget Expeditions Group Tour, a local payment to the tour leader on day 1 in US dollars is required. In the rare event that there is a short fall in the local payment, travellers will be required to make an extra contribution.