The Big Walkabout (Start Darwin)
- Our saving
- Price from
- US $ 3,719
- Age Range
- 18 to 35 year olds
- Rather Poor
- CSChantellWritten on April 12, 20164.5 - ExcellentThis trip was the best thing I could have ever done! I'm so glad that I decided to travel with contiki and start in Darwin. I had no idea what to expect with the first half of the tour but can honestly say it exceeded all expectations. Australia, like Canada has such a large and varying past it was nice to see both sides of this amazing country. The second half, starting in Cairns, was full of action, excitement and wonder and am now very sad to have come to the end. Usually on tours I get sick of the pace and people and just want the trip to end as to not spoil the rest of the trip but this time it feels like even with 25 days and being ill I would gladly continue with contiki and the walk about if they'd have me! I have seen and done more then I have ever thought possible and have learned so much more about myself and opened myself back up to the world then I can scarcely believe. It is not only well worth the time investment but also the financial investment and I'd do it all over in a heartbeat. #noregrets really does exist!Show detailed ratings
- CVCraigWritten on April 10, 20165.0 - ExcellentIt was an amazing experience, far above what I could have imagined. To get to visit so many places and have the opportunity to take part in so many activities is something I won't forget. The tour manager helps make you feel at ease by being so approachable. Now the end of the trip has come I would call him a friend, not the guy who ran it.Show detailed ratings
- JLJanineWritten on April 8, 20164.5 - ExcellentIt was the Best time of my life. So many good experiences and a Lot of good memories and found better friend!Show detailed ratings
- CRCharlotteWritten on April 2, 20164.5 - ExcellentThe trip was a once in a life time trip and was amazing!Show detailed ratings
- SJSilvanWritten on April 2, 20164.5 - ExcellentIt was absolutely amazing! We had the best tour "managers" (Trys and Paddy) and drivers (Benny and Gaz) I've ever had in my whole time of travelling. They are the funniest, nicest and most helpful guys I've met. Also the most accommodations were good and free of animals (gecko's, spiders ....) :D If it would be possible for me I would do this tour again!Show detailed ratings
- SSandraWritten on April 2, 20164.0 - GoodI had the experience of a lifetime. Not only did Trys make our tour knowledgeable but extremely fun and memorable. I will never forget Australia and Trys for the wonderful memories.Show detailed ratings
- DSDanielleWritten on April 1, 20165.0 - ExcellentIt was absolutely amazing!! It far exceeded my expectations! Very knowledgeable tour guide!Show detailed ratings
- VVerenaWritten on April 1, 20165.0 - ExcellentContikis The Big Walkabout totally matched my expectations! Can't complain about anything on this trip. I definitely had 24 amazing, wonderful, lifechangig days! The Tour Guides: Well, where do I even start on that topic. I had Trys and Rob on the Northern Territory Part and Paddy and Gaz on the East Coast. As tour guides they were truly amazing and so helpful, making sure everyone was having the time of their lives. They were walking down the coach everyday, making sure everyone was okay, or having any questions on the upcoming days, activitys etc. They even double checked if the non-english-speakers like me understood everything, so that's a big thumbs up! On our longer travel days, they entertained us with movies, games, music or cultural backgrounds of Australia, to even name a few. They were also pretty helpful on giving advide on extra activitys in the free times, or organizing a "get-to-know-each-other-dinner" on the first night of our tour. Trys is also an amazing photographer, he even managed to make the most unphotogenic person look good on a photo, I can tell ;) I was also a big fan of their creative Itinerarys Transportation Our transportation was a very comfy and modern coach, air conditioner and wi-fi worked and our drivers were great fun. They also managed to get all of us to our destinations safely. Accommodations As for the accommodations all I can say is, that they were worth the money I paid for it. Every accomodation was different, from the amazing hotel on Day Dream Island to the swag night under the stars. We even stayed on a cattle ranch for a night. Some accomodations had lower standards than others, but like I said, totally worth the money, most of them also had unlimited wi-fi. The rooms were clean and tidy. We didn't even found any dangerous, life-threatening animals in it, so I'm satisfied on that point. The optional activitys on this trip were my favorites, those times were rad! Over-all I can say, that I had a great time in Australia with my tour! Last thing I want to say is, apologies for possible typos, bad language etc. I've tried my best!Show detailed ratings
- NNicoleWritten on April 1, 20165.0 - ExcellentThe Big Walkabout was great. It was amazing. We saw so many things in only round about 23 days. It was definitely more than I expected. We have been nearly every day somewhere else. That was a bit exhausting. But it was worth it in either case. There were so many different things, from a waterfall to Uluru in the Northern Territory, Hot Air Balloning and Helicopter Flight. Then we flew to the East Coast. The Great Barrier Reef, Surfing and at least Sydney. A really beautiful city. But this wouldn't have been possible without our awesome Guides (Trys and Paddy) and the bus-drivers (Rob and Gus). They did a very good job. Trys as well as Paddy were all the time available and always in good mood. They organized everything. Even more than they had to (e.g. where to go to eat as a group, discounts for food and drinks...). Trys also organized some games, so that we got known to each other group-mate. Our bus was great. It was really high-tech. We had WLAN, air-conditioning, could watch TV an leather seats. As measured by the price we paid for this trip, the accomodation was more than ok. Sometimes we had really good hotels. Once we slept outside in a swag. Sounds not very comfortable. But it was one of the best things at this trip. Sleeping outside, having a campfire. And I've never seen so many stars. That was awesome. Furthermore we had the chance to take part in some special activities. The Guides organized all. They looked after everything and everybody. They told us where we have to be at what time. Trys described the activities before. And he did it in such a great way that I thought eacht time I have to do it. And I don't regret! All the activities I took part were great. In summary: I had the best holiday of my life. I would travel with Trys as a tourguide every time again. (I'm sorry for my bad englisch-skills, but I'm not a native speaker...)Show detailed ratings
- HHaileyWritten on April 1, 20165.0 - ExcellentMost amazing experience ive ever had. Trys Eddy, our tour guide was so engaged, excited, and knowledgeable which made it more than amazing.Show detailed ratings
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Darwin
- Day 2: Darwin to Kakadu National Park
- Day 3: Kakadu National Park
- Day 4: Kakadu National Park to Katherine
- Day 5: Katherine to Tennant Creek
- Day 6: Tennant Creek to Alice Springs
- Day 7: Alice Springs to Kings Creek Station
- Day 8: Kings Creek Station to Uluru
- Day 9: Uluru
- Day 10: Uluru to Cairns
- Day 10 - 12: Cairns
- Day 12 - 14: Cairns to the Whitsundays
- Day 15: The Whitsundays to Farmstay
- Day 16: Farmstay to Noosa
- Day 17: Fraser Island to Noosa
- Day 18: Noosa to Surfers Paradise
- Day 19: Surfers Paradise
- Day 20: Surfers Paradise to Byron Bay
- Day 21: Byron Bay to Coffs Harbour
- Day 22: Coffs Harbour to Sydney
- Day 23: Sydney
- Day 24: Sydney
AccommodationRated Excellent by past passengers
GuideRated Excellent by past passengers
MealsRated Excellent by past passengers
- Optional Extras
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- April 23, 2015
What is intra tour air tax?
The intra tour air tax covers the air taxes for the flights included on this tour. It's imposed by the airlines and therefore needs to be paid before the tour departs to secure your flight as a part of this tour.
- April 23, 2015
What is internal air price for?
The internal air price covers the cost of your internal flights on The Big Walkabout (Start Darwin) and needs to be paid upfront before the tour departs.
Guides who have led this tour
- "I'm a born and bred Aussie, who has been living this crazy nomadic lifestyle of a Tour Manager for the..."
6,105 travellers met using the Meet App before going on their Australia/Oceania tour.
Select the departure date of the tour that you're planning on going on and chat with other travellers going on that tour. If you don't find your departure date, add a meet and others travellers will join.
- Departs 25th October 20171 comment"Is anyone else booked for this tour? :)"
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Andrew, 27 years old2nd May 2017
The Big Walkabout (Start Darwin)
- Upcoming departures
- July 2017
- August 2017
- September 2017
- October 2017
- November 2017
- December 2017
- January 2018
- February 2018
- March 2018
- April 2018
- May 2018
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- WednesdayJul 5, 2017from DarwinFridayJul 28, 2017in SydneyOur saving$70PriceUSD $3,426Based on Quad Room0 seats leftSold outSee similar tours on this date
- WednesdayAug 2, 2017from DarwinFridayAug 25, 2017in SydneyOur saving$70PriceUSD $3,426Based on Quad RoomOnly 1 seat left
- WednesdayAug 30, 2017from DarwinFridaySep 22, 2017in SydneyOur saving$70PriceUSD $3,426Based on Quad Room10+ seats left
- WednesdaySep 27, 2017from DarwinFridayOct 20, 2017in SydneyOur saving$76PriceUSD $3,719+ $480 additional upfront costsBased on Quad Room10+ seats left
- WednesdayOct 25, 2017from DarwinFridayNov 17, 2017in SydneyOur saving$76PriceUSD $3,719+ $480 additional upfront costsBased on Quad Room10+ seats left
- WednesdayNov 22, 2017from DarwinFridayDec 15, 2017in SydneyOur saving$81PriceUSD $3,944+ $480 additional upfront costsBased on Quad Room10+ seats left
- WednesdayDec 20, 2017from DarwinFridayJan 12, 2018in SydneyOur saving$81PriceUSD $3,944+ $480 additional upfront costsBased on Quad Room0 seats leftSold outSee similar tours on this date
- WednesdayJan 17, 2018from DarwinFridayFeb 9, 2018in SydneyOur saving$81PriceUSD $3,944+ $480 additional upfront costsBased on Quad Room10+ seats left
- WednesdayFeb 14, 2018from DarwinFridayMar 9, 2018in SydneyOur saving$81PriceUSD $3,944+ $480 additional upfront costsBased on Quad Room10+ seats left
- WednesdayMar 14, 2018from DarwinFridayApr 6, 2018in SydneyOur saving$81PriceUSD $3,944+ $480 additional upfront costsBased on Quad Room10+ seats left
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Yellow fever
- Certificate of vaccination required if arriving from an infected area for Australia. Ideally 10 days before travel.
- Japanese B encephalitis
- Recommended for Australia. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Darwin is the starting point and Sydney is the endpoint.
- Hold my seat
- TourRadar can request Contiki to hold seats for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $200 to confirm this Contiki booking. The remaining balance is then payable 45 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 10 August 2017 the full payment of $3,719 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 45 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $3719 for The Big Walkabout (Start Darwin), but the deposit of $200 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Contiki tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Darwin (Australia)
- 183 km
- Kakadu National Park (Australia)
- 144 km
- Katherine (Australia)
- 612 km
- Tennant Creek (Australia)
- 452 km
- Alice Springs (Australia)
- 223 km
- Kings Creek Station (Australia)
- 135 km
- Uluru (Australia)
- 1,796 km
- Cairns (Australia)
- 500 km
- Whitsunday Islands (Australia)
- 707 km
- Fraser Island (Australia)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $3,719 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 844 tours in Australia/Oceania
- covered by 49 different operators in Australia/Oceania
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 45 days prior to the departure date.
- 6,105 travellers have already met
before they left for their Australia/Oceania tour
Download TourRadar Meet App
- 21 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on The Big Walkabout (Start Darwin)