Land of the Rising Sun
- Our saving
- Price from
- US $ 4,038
- +4 Destinations
- Central Japan
- Age Range
- 15 to 70 year olds
- Feast on traditional Japanese cuisine
- Visit the Hiroshima Peace Park
- Catch a glimpse of Mt Fuji
- Explore Kyoto's 2,000 temples
- Rather Poor
- DDavidWritten on November 13, 20161.0 - BadI have done many tours. See reviews in Tripadvisor under Daventurer. Intrepid/Venture Tours- if you removed the romanticized language and sales jargon, this is what you may get. 14 day tour really means 12 days as the first day starts at 6pm and the last day ends at morning hotel checkout. Also be mindful that only 2 meals are included in the 12 days. Add another $1000 to the price? 'Optional' should be read as 'Suggested'- don't expect a guide or organized transport/tickets. The only exception may be for the drinkers and clubbers as the guide may party with you in the last couple of nights. The rest will have to entertain themselves in a foreign city. The promised JR rail pass did not arrive until day 5, so be prepared for lots of standing and stopping in crowded slow public buses and trains and waiting in stations. All this means fewer daylight hours for 'free time', 'Options' or sightseeing. If you do raise concerns about deviations from the paid itinerary, then be prepared to be oustracized by the guide and ignored by head office. Romanticized terms such as traditional Ryokans could be read as Youth hostels with communal toilets and showers and even face-wash basins in the hallway. 'Adventure' tour could be read as 'don't expect too much informed knowledge about history or culture'.Show detailed ratingsIntrepid Travel commented on this reviewHi David, We are so sorry to hear about your experiences on the Land of the Rising Sun trip. We truly value your feedback and want to make this right. We are keen to pass this information along to our customer relations and operations team to avoid a similar situation on future departures. Could you please email us at customerrelations@IntrepidTravel.com?
- CPCliftonWritten on August 9, 20163.5 - GoodThe tour was structured and well paced - perhaps a bit too long in Hiroshima and Kyoto, which could have been used on another location. Guide was competent, and happy to provide assistance to arrange and schedule day trips, as well as give advice about where was worth visiting on our own.Show detailed ratings
- JJJohannesWritten on July 24, 20163.0 - AverageWe booked this trip for a number of reasons: 1 to be navigated through the transport system; this was successful 2 to be directed or led to the main sights; also successful 3 to have pre-arranged good accommodation: mediocre 4 to sample good Japanese food: some good and some badShow detailed ratings
- LLaurenWritten on May 2, 20165.0 - ExcellentI had an amazing time on this trip. It was a great group of people of mixed ages all travelling to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Japan. Our guide was amazing and was happy to seek out specialty restaurants of shops if we wanted to try something we had read, seen or heard about. I would not have had so many amazing experiences if I had travelled by myself. I made some new friends and continue to email them about our next trip plans. Our traditional accommodation was great and I felt like we were really staying in a locals home and not a touristy hotel. Highlight of the trip had to be the Hiroshima Peace Park - such beauty after tragedy. This is not to be missed. Love Japan so much!Show detailed ratings
- MNMarkWritten on April 26, 20165.0 - ExcellentJapan is fantastic! the food, people, sights! I cannot say enough good things about this. The country is def expensive so i found after computing the cost to do on my own, i was making out MUCH BETTER going with a group. And this trip seemed to cover everything i wanted to do/see. I seriously ate my weight in sashimi! I thought the organization and accommodation we had was far better than i was expecting. We stayed in a traditional ryokan with a naturally fed outdoor onsen (hot spring). simply magical experience. AND our guide was so much fun! she really helped everyone capture the highlights of this country. Loving my beer, she steered me to this booming craft beer scene often overlooked. Simply sensational! The trip would not have been nearly as beneficial without Mayuko! Thanks Intrepid and thank you TourRadar!!!Show detailed ratings
- ATAndrewWritten on April 22, 20165.0 - ExcellentWOW! What an amazing place and out local guide Yuri was AWESOME! She knew everything, ask a question and she would give you an answer. I loved Japan, I would of struggled to do so much without being part of an organised tour and the language barrier would of been a huge barrier. DO THIS TRIP, IT IS JUST WOW!Show detailed ratings
- CchanelleWritten on November 27, 20155.0 - ExcellentI was blown away by the culture, the food, the local leaders knowledge and the ease of getting around in a group. I would never do Japan on my own, it was a challenge doing a few nights by myself and trying to just navigate the subway system.Show detailed ratings
- NathanWritten on November 15, 20144.5 - ExcellentGreat tour to get a taste of Japan!Show detailed ratings
- LouiseWritten on August 9, 20124.5 - ExcellentI can honestly say that if I went to Japan any other way than this trip I would not have gained such an amazing insight into Japan culture, highlights and people! An amazing trip enjoyed every day!Show detailed ratings
- AAnonymousWritten on January 13, 20114.0 - GoodTrip was good but it went to too many temples/shrines which got boring after the first couple. Could have done with more night activities. Our guide was good and very helpful.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
- Day 1: Tokyo
- Day 2: Tokyo/Nikko
- Day 3: Nikko
- Day 4: Hakone
- Day 5: Hakone
- Day 6: Takayama
- Day 7: Takayama
- Day 8: Hiroshima
- Day 9: Hiroshima
- Day 10: Hiroshima
- Day 11: Kyoto
- Day 12: Kyoto
- Day 13: Kyoto
- Day 14: Kyoto
AccommodationRated Good by past passengers
GuideRated Good by past passengers
MealsRated Good by past passengers
TransportRated Good by past passengers
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions about this tour.
- April 1, 2017
Where can I find more detailed information about this tour?
A trip note - which contains essential information about your trip will be given to you. Information such as the daily itinerary, where to meet on the first day, what time the trip starts, how to get to the joining point hotel, included activities, visa information, etc will be mentioned in there. Please contact us for this.
- November 1, 2016
We are in our young seventies, can we still join the trip? We don't want an oldies trip.
Intrepid has an open age policy so you can join. The groups are usually mixed age so it wouldn't be an oldies trip.
- October 1, 2016
Is there a single supplement available for this trip?
Intrepid have advised that there is unfortunately no single supplement available for this trip.
What are people saying about TourRadar?
- Gemma, 31 years old7th April 2017
Land of the Rising Sun
- Upcoming departures
- June 2017
- July 2017
- August 2017
- September 2017
- October 2017
- November 2017
- December 2017
- January 2018
- February 2018
- March 2018
- April 2018
- May 2018
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- October 2018
- November 2018
- December 2018
- TuesdayJun 27, 2017from TokyoMondayJul 10, 2017in KyotoOur saving$190PriceUSD $4,7500 seats leftSold outSee similar tours on this date
- SaturdayJul 1, 2017from TokyoFridayJul 14, 2017in KyotoOur saving$186PriceUSD $4,6500 seats leftSold outSee similar tours on this date
- SaturdayJul 8, 2017from TokyoFridayJul 21, 2017in KyotoOur saving$192PriceUSD $4,790Only 1 seat left
- SaturdayJul 15, 2017from TokyoFridayJul 28, 2017in KyotoOur saving$177Price-5%USD $4,4186 seats left
- SaturdayJul 22, 2017from TokyoFridayAug 4, 2017in KyotoOur saving$177Price-5%USD $4,4185 seats left
- WednesdayJul 26, 2017from TokyoTuesdayAug 8, 2017in KyotoOur saving$177Price-5%USD $4,4188 seats left
- TuesdayAug 1, 2017from TokyoMondayAug 14, 2017in KyotoOur saving$177Price-5%USD $4,4185 seats left
- SaturdayAug 5, 2017from TokyoFridayAug 18, 2017in KyotoOur saving$167Price-10%USD $4,1856 seats left
- SaturdayAug 12, 2017from TokyoFridayAug 25, 2017in KyotoOur saving$162Price-15%USD $4,0388 seats left
- SaturdayAug 19, 2017from TokyoFridaySep 1, 2017in KyotoOur saving$190PriceUSD $4,7506 seats left
Monthly price comparison
About the countries
Plugs & Adapters
- Hepatitis A
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 weeks before travel.
- Hepatitis B
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 2 months before travel.
- Japanese B encephalitis
- Recommended for Japan. Ideally 1 month before travel.
- Tokyo is the starting point and Kyoto is the endpoint.
- Hold my seat
- TourRadar can request Intrepid Travel to hold seats for you for up to 48 hours without any credit card details.
- TourRadar only requires a deposit of $400 to confirm this Intrepid Travel booking. The remaining balance is then payable 56 days prior to the departure date. For any tour departing before 19 August 2017 the full payment of $4,038 is necessary.
- Cancellation policy
- No additional cancellation fees! You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior to the departure date and you will not need to pay the full amount of $4038 for Land of the Rising Sun, but the deposit of $400 is non-refundable.
- Credit Cards
- The following cards are accepted for Intrepid Travel tours: Visa - Master Card - American Express
- Tokyo (Japan)
- 111 km
- Nikko (Japan)
- 176 km
- Hakone (Japan)
- 190 km
- Takayama (Japan)
- 478 km
- Hiroshima (Japan)
- 311 km
- Kyoto (Japan)
Why book with TourRadar
- Best Price Guarantee
- If you book with TourRadar and within 24 hours you find a better price than $4,038 for the same tour, TourRadar will pay you the difference
- Safely book online
- All your details are safely protected by a secure connection
- 3,511 tours in Asia
- covered by 130 different operators in Asia
- No Cancellation Fee
- TourRadar does not charge any additional cancellation fees. You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior to the departure date.
- 55 travellers have already met
before they left for Land of the Rising Sun tour
Download TourRadar Meet App
- 9 Genuine Reviews
- All reviews are verified from travellers who went on Land of the Rising Sun
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Joining point instructions
Finish point description
Finish point instructions
Alternate Finish point
Alternate Finish point
Alternate Finish point description
Alternate Finish point instructions
Why we love it
Is this trip right for you
Food and dietary requirements
What to take
A couple of rules
Your fellow travellers