- Hop-on Hop-off - flexible, safe, hassle-free travel
- Stray travel passes are valid for 12 months
- Visit destinations off the beaten track
- Great guides and great people!
289 Stray Travel Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- 4 / 5
- Value for money
- 4 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- NadineStray - Everywhere Pass (National)3.5 - GoodWritten on February 16, 2017It was really cool and you meet a lot of people
- MaríaStray Journeys - Batten (North Island)4.0 - GoodWritten on February 8, 2017My first time and I love it, definitely will like go to Vietnam with stray!!!
- MeganStray - Maximus Pass (National)1.0 - BadWritten on February 8, 2017Stray is most definitely not a "hop on, hop off" bus. It's difficult to even...Read moreStray Travel commented on this reviewKia ora Megan, Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I am sorry to hear that you found the booking process stressful - that is not how Stray intends the system to work! We would appreciate some more details of your exact experience to see where we can improve - would you mind emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to provide more detailed feedback? Thank you again!
Stray Travel Tours
About Stray Travel
Stray Travel videos
- New Zealand Adventure Travel With Stray
- Destination Video: Raglan - A Place to Stray
- Destination Video: Milford Sound and Gunn's Camp
- STRAY- Adventuring across Southeast Asia and New Zealand
- Destination Video - Blue Duck Station: A Place to Stray
- Show more...
Exclusive benefits with
No Booking FeesTourRadar charges 0% booking fees and 0% credit card fees. You won’t find any hidden fees or additional surcharges with us. We want to #BoycottBookingFeesLearn more
Best Price GuaranteeFound a better price elsewhere for the same trip? Send us the quote and we'll match it!Learn more
Earn Unlimited Travel CreditsEvery time you book with us or you invite someone to TourRadar, you get travel credits.Learn more
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
Is Stray a party bus?
Ultimately, Stray’s main priority is getting you out to see the real New Zealand, and we have some early starts so that we can fit as much adventure in as possible. What you do in your evenings is your own choice... However, of course we are a sociable bunch and we do enjoy a beer or three! Because many of our overnight stops are so "off the beaten track", you will find many of these fine beverages are shared around a campfire rather than in a bar, but we do have a couple of optional big nights out on the circuit, including Queenstown.
Will we be on the bus everyday?
Stray includes free days (non-travel days) in our itinerary, e.g. Abel Tasman National Park, Franz Josef and Queenstown, so even if you’re completing your Stray trip in the “minimum days” required you’ll still have time to do activities and explore each of these areas. We also include free mornings or afternoons in most places for you to do local activities, just relax or even do some necessary laundry!
Will there be Wifi on the bus?
Yes! From January 2016 (perhaps even earlier) Stray will be offering FREE data packs of 150MB to all new starters on the network. For those who need a little more to get by we have competitive priced data packs to top up along the way that will have better coverage than NZ’s mobile networks. Selfie your heart out!
How fit do I need to be?
You don’t have to be an athlete to travel with us – all walks and activities are optional and there is something for everyone.
How many people will I be travelling with?
In winter our average group size is 20, in summer 30. Our buses range from 14 to 45 seaters. We try to use the appropriate bus for the group size, keeping it as small and nifty as possible! This means you can do and see more in a day.
Is it okay to travel alone?
Totally! A lot of our travellers arrive alone, others are with friends or partners. It doesn’t matter because by the end of day 1 you have already made a great group of friends on the bus! (“Meeting liked-minded travellers” frequently is rated in the top 5 reasons to travel with us.)
What is the average age of Stray travellers?
It may sound like a cliché, but we are more about attitude than age. Anyone from 18-70 is welcome – with the majority of our passengers between 21 and 35.
Who travels with Stray?
Stray attracts adventurous travellers from all corners of the globe. When we say “adventurous”, we don’t mean we expect you to do a bungy jump or even a 10 mile hike… but an open mind and a thirst for exploration is important!