- Small Groups of up to 18
- Leisurely Paced Itineraries
- Authentic Local Experiences
- Scenic Back-Roads, Avoiding Freeways
Back-Roads Touring Guides
6 Back-Roads Touring Reviews
- Rather Poor
- 5 / 5
- 5 / 5
- 4.5 / 5
- Value for money
- 5 / 5
- 5 / 5
- RMRichardIreland - The Emerald Isle5.0 - ExcellentWritten on April 24, 2017Just loved my 12 day tour of Ireland. Great balance of history, culture and good times. The tour guide was fabulous.
- DPDeniseWwi Battlefield Weekend Summer5.0 - ExcellentWritten on August 20, 2016The tour was perfect for our needs. Informative, concise and well organised. Gide was knowledgable and able to adapt the tour to suit the needs of the group.
- AAnonymous5.0 - ExcellentWritten on June 13, 2011Their experience shows Backroads is simply the best out there. Their years of experience shows. Other companies may attempt to offer the same thing, but Ba…Read more
- AAnonymous5.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 5, 2010A+++++ My first choice. Backroads delivers - always. I've taken them to vietnam, cambodia, alaska, ireland, patagonia, bali, thailand, etc. They deliver am…Read more
- AAnonymous5.0 - ExcellentWritten on November 2, 2010An Amazing Way to Travel! This summer I enjoyed my fourth Backroads trip with my wife and daughter. Each trip has been the highlight of the year for my fam…Read more
- AAnonymous5.0 - ExcellentWritten on October 29, 2010Exceptional Holday Experience The experience was fabulous. I have been on nine other BackRoads trips and they never disappoint me. A well thought out combi…Read more
Back-Roads Touring Tours
About Back-Roads Touring
Back-Roads Touring videos
- Small Group Tours of Europe & the UK
- The Road Less Travelled
- A Scottish Journey
- What Our Guests Say
- Iceland: The Ultimate Travel Guide
- Show more...
- Orkneys and Scottish Highlands Tour
Why Back Roads Touring
Small Groups, Authentic Experiences
Over 25 Years Experince
Back Roads Touring Benefits
Appreciate Your Surroundings
Exclusive benefits with
No Booking FeesTourRadar charges 0% booking fees and 0% credit card fees. You won’t find any hidden fees or additional surcharges with us. We want to #BoycottBookingFeesLearn more
Best Price GuaranteeFound a better price elsewhere for the same trip? Send us the quote and we'll match it!Learn more
Earn Unlimited Travel CreditsEvery time you book with us or you invite someone to TourRadar, you get travel credits.Learn more
Back Roads Touring Story & History
Questions & Answers
Here we have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
What is not included in the tour price?
Unless otherwise specified in the listed inclusions, airfares are not included in the tour price.
Driver/tour leader gratuity is optional.
Lunches (unless otherwise stated), social drinks, meals on free nights,’ items of a personal nature and entrance fees when not listed in the schedule of inclusions.
Occasional optional evening theatre/festival visits and entrances not detailed in the tour inclusions.
Incidental expenses, such as room service incurred at hotels. All expenses are to be settled prior to leaving the accommodation.
Laundry costs and any shipping charges for the return of purchases made on tour, or for the return of property lost on tour.
Pre and post tour accommodation.
Unless otherwise listed in the inclusions, transfers are not included in the tour price.
What type of clothing is recommended on the tour?
Back Roads suggest packing for variable weather conditions, or if you are travelling through Italy, Spain or Southern France in summer, make sure you pack a hat and sunscreen.
How much luggage is allowed on the tour?
Back Roads travel in mini-coaches and so boot space is limited. Travellers are only entitled to one piece of main luggage of a standard size of no more than 158cm (when the length, width and height is added together) and not weighing more than 20kg. In addition travellers may bring one small carry-on bag per person.
What kinds of tour leader and driver does Back Roads have on the tour?
Their driver/tour leaders have all passed a stringent government test which allows them to drive vehicles and conduct tours. On some tours in mainland Europe (e.g. Italy, Spain, Croatia etc.) they will often use a driver in addition to a tour leader as this makes for better operation of the tour in these particular areas.
How much spending money is recommended on the tour?
Apart from meals and entrance fees within the price of the tour, travellers will need to bring spending money for any other meals, drinks and activities. Back Roads recommends a budget of £70 or 90 Euros per person per day.
Is it possible to do other things like getting my hair done, do laundry, go to church or synagogue while on the tour?
Yes. There is generally sufficient free time to incorporate all such functions, though it is not guaranteed in every country.
Are entrance fees included in the price of the tour?
Back Roads include a selection of entrances fees depending on the tour and these are outlined in the "what's included" section of the tour page.
Can Back Roads cater to travellers with dietary restrictions?
Back Roads will do their best to cater to the dietary needs of the travellers. This should be made clear upon booking, so we can pass on the requests.
What meals are included on the tour?
Breakfast is included daily. Lunches and dinners are also included, either in the hotel or in a local restaurant. Travellers will also have some free evenings to try the local cuisine independently. One thing to remember, dinner times in Europe are likely to be later than the usual: 7.30pm at the earliest and often later in France and Italy.
What are the benefits of travelling in a small group?
Back Roads offer a personal experience as travellers explore the local region in greater depth. Travellers will meet like-minded people and enjoy the convenience of their own personal driver/guide.